Thread: Admin Interface for Linksys Cable Modem

Admin Interface for Linksys Cable Modem

I just purchased a CM100 Linksys cable modem for a client of mine as a spare Comcast modem in case of failure. They are set up with a static IP so I need to configure the modem manually since Comcast doesn't officially support it and cannot push the config (it works fine with DHCP from Comcast). I only see a Status page at 192.168.100.1. Is there a seperate admin page for manual configuration? I can't seem to find any info online or in the manual. If it is unable to be configured manually, does anyone have any recommendations for a better cable modem?
    sandwich.

I spent 45 minutes researching this issue. Is the issue is that you have to _clone_ the MAC address? Im not really sure. My theory is that you have to program a NIC card with the MAC address of the original modem using a computer; disconnect and connect directly to the CM100; then hold the "reset" button for 12-15 seconds so it will grab the MAC address; then reset the MAC on the NIC to something else? Confusing.

I did something similar to this with a client. The modem wouldn't work until I cloned the MAC address of the computer Comcast hacked on.

Guy always paid me whenever his mother wanted to play on a gambling site and didnt properly open ports on the router but instead directly to the modem exposing everything. Router kept resetting to factory defaults. They are not the brightest people so I didnt care

The password was setup for default

Also found this page from Linksys that may help
    "The comcast tech told me the cm100 stores the first MAC address it sees into memory so by default when they hooked it up direct to the pc it got my pcs mac stored and i have to clone it into the router to get it work. never had to do that before. "

This happens with just about every make of cable modem, not just the CM100 or Linksys products and it is more of a CMTS issue than a cable modem issue.
    http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/lin...cending&page=2
    Last edited by Linen0ise; December 6th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    The status page may have a 'login' link somewhere. Otherwise, I have had experiences with Cable modems which only allow you to modify settings if the cable is disconnected from the modem.

Try disconnecting the Cable cable and then seeing if you can configured the device.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne View Post
    Try disconnecting the Cable cable and then seeing if you can configured the device.

CTO
    long live Boardtracker..... little advertising god on the serv net.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; December 13th, 2009 at 02:17 AM.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    long live Boardtracker..... little advertising god on the serv net.
    Huh?

So how did it go?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

i have the same problem , i contacted linksys tech team but like we all know they don't help a lot .
    the link Linen0ise gave is not working anymore , so any suggestions??
    Last edited by SarahLacy; August 1st, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

AOs Resident Troll
    SarahLacy....can you be more specific on what problem you are having???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

This installation is very simple. Remove the COMCAST modem. Someone in another review said you need to remove your router temporarily for this installation, so I did that and connected the CM100 directly to the ethernet connector on the computer. Once you did that, you need to call COMCAST and give them the S/N and the MAC Address, both of which are printed on the bottom of the Linksys CM100 unit. They enter your new info in their system and you are up and running. It really is as simple as that.
    Obviously the Comcast modem won't work after that?

To get them both to work, you would need to clone them to have the same data.