Thread: Making IIS Sites available thru Internet

Question Making IIS Sites available thru Internet

Hi

I have a DSL connection installed in my office. I have a LAN network and I have a requirement of making the sites published on IIS on one of the machines available thru internet. I'll explain the setup below:

1. I have a DSL Modem from my ISP Provider (Airtel, India) - the provider has given me an static IP address, its something like 122.172.xxx.xxx and assigned it to this modem.

2. I have a Netgear Router which connect to this DSL Modem via LAN cable. It is this router to which all my machines in the network connect either thru LAN cables or thru Wireless. This router manages its own IP addresses from the range 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.255 (where 10.0.0.1 is the address of the router itself).

3. I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, which is also the Active Directory and the DNS server of the company. The IP Address configuration of this machine has been hard-coded to:

IP Address: 10.0.0.250
    Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Primary DNS: 10.0.0.1
    Secondary DNS: blank
    All the machines in the network also have hard-coded IPs and there setting are as follows:

IP Address: 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.255 (except 10.0.0.250)
    Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Primary DNS: 10.0.0.250
    Secondary DNS: blank
    In the AD machine I have IIS installed and it has multiple sites published on it. All these sites are available in the network thru the IP 10.0.0.250 (the IP of the AD machine). Now, I wish to make the same websites available online and I think I can use the Static IP provided to me for the purpose.

Can you please help regarding this matter. What steps I should take to make this possible?

Thanks
    CodeNameVirus

Are you trying to get a domain name i.e. you want to go to a browser and type in something like codenamevirus.com and it resolve to one of your sites? If so you will need to register the domain name to your static IP.

But that doesn't really matter since you can connect to your modem given its static IP. Make sure your router is not blocking all incoming connections and forward a port to the IIS. That way all connections that go into your modem requesting a certain port gets forwarded to the IIS since you are behind a NAT. I do suggest though that you read through some IIS manuals so you have a good idea on what is going on and can properly configure it.