Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fake FF Update

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Sorry to get back to the original thread Hybrid

How can people submit malicious addons and become immediately availble even before someone from Mozilla will test it. This is surely a huge flaw?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    hey Cider..

when browsing the addons area https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox you will notice that when the addons are approved there is a Green "Add to Firefox" button, if the "Add to Firefox" button is Yellow and has something along the lines of "Hasn't been approved by Mozilla" and caries a warning about un-signed extensions can be harmful etc etc

when there yellow it means they haven't been reviewed by Mozilla so alot of malware/spware writers are using this Timeframe to upload a malicious addon thay may or maynot work and to get as many people to install the addon before it get's Reviewed and removed from the addon site.

just fake

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    hey Cider..

when browsing the addons area https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox you will notice that when the addons are approved there is a Green "Add to Firefox" button, if the "Add to Firefox" button is Yellow and has something along the lines of "Hasn't been approved by Mozilla" and caries a warning about un-signed extensions can be harmful etc etc

when there yellow it means they haven't been reviewed by Mozilla so alot of malware/spware writers are using this Timeframe to upload a malicious addon thay may or maynot work and to get as many people to install the addon before it get's Reviewed and removed from the addon site.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Good ol opensource
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hmmm,

Good ol opensource
    As the saying goes: "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware).

The way I look at it, running unchecked plugins is a bit like running alpha and beta software in a production environment?................a wise person doesn't do it.

That's why we have standalone "labrats" or "crash test dummies" Load them up to their gizzards with AV and antimalware, firewall and either a sandbox or VM. Personally, as I tend to use older hardware, I go for the sandbox, as VM tends to be rather resource demanding.

Agreed but the home user doesnt know whats happening :P

I suppose they should read the disclaimer

I get so irratated when supporting "old people" because they want to READ everything which I suppose is the correct way.
    Albert Einstein