Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System problem

System problem

Hey all.. Well, I didn't really know which thread to put this in, because I'm not quite sure what the problem is

For the first time in a couple years, I decided to plug in a box I had.
    (2 GB ram, Pentium 4, 60 GB hd) More specs available if need be.

I booted up Ubuntu Linux on it, it goes through all the initial pre-install steps just fine.. I format the hd, let ubuntu take over completely. And about halfway through the install, the whole machine just locks completely. This same box had a history of locking in the past, when I had Windows XP Home on it. But since then, had slack installed on it by itself with no problems. The only thing i really tried on my own was taking the whole cover off, and putting a huge plug in fan (that i use to sleep) next to the machine, assuming it was an over heat problem.. But it was to no avail. The machine still locks up about 93% through the install. Hardware issue ? Has to be.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

This is probably a hardware issue, but just to be sure, do you have anything really important you'd like to get from it? (Didn't mention if this was dual boot or not so I'll ask instead) and if not, maybe install Slackware again, and let it go for a while. I've had to try this before because I have a machine with an AMD in it, and it won't stay up for more than a half hour.

If Slackware works again for some weird reason, and you have a few hours to kill, let the machine stay up, and see if it starts to act funny. It's probably hardware, but if Slackware worked, using that may help you to test and be sure.

heh, try cleaning your system But that is just a hunch. If it is an old machine, it probably needs to be dusted since it has been just sitting there gathering it for so long ^.^ It would also explain why the computer boots fine, starts the install and locks up. Also, you should see what is going on during the install. Do the install with verbose logging being outputted to your screen.

AOs Resident Troll
    OMG...a non MS system is actually crashing...wont install....is unstable....I am sure its Microsofts problem somehow...
    has to be......other systems dont crash...even if the motherboard is fubared......it must be a windows problem somehow...really ....

My kids MAC is crashing and Apple support says its the logic board....but I am sure it Microsofts fault.....cause all the problems in the world are because of windows dont you know!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

OMG...a non MS system is actually crashing...wont install....is unstable....I am sure its Microsofts problem somehow...
    Hey, didn't you read the non-disclosure clause in our agreement to split the proceeds?

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    has to be......other systems dont crash...even if the motherboard is fubared......it must be a windows problem somehow...really ....

My kids MAC is crashing and Apple support says its the logic board....but I am sure it Microsofts fault.....cause all the problems in the world are because of windows dont you know!!

MLF
    heh, I am surprised you didn't go for the low hanging fruit morgan >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by gore
    maybe install Slackware again
    =P

AOs Resident Troll
    Good one snuggles....you deserve some greenies for that

alas...I must spread some around before giving them to you again!

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; August 6th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

HYBR|D
    you need a tissue morgan... You certainly do a lot of sooking over spilt milk

you gonna run to Joe an have another waaaa'h waaaa'h waaaaa'h look at me hissy fit's again?

your the 1 that said you weren't coming back here, so if your so miserable n hurt n emotional battered from Gore's post in that other thread then why come back???

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    Good one snuggles....you deserve some greenies for that

alas...I must spread some around before giving them to you again!

MLF
    ........... but I never got any greenies from you

Gore: Brain fart on my end lol.. It's got an AMD in there hehe **sigh**.. Also, it has no current OS installed.. My goal was to let Ubuntu take over the whole machine. Going back to slack might be an asi asi idea for me at the moment. I'm just getting in the swing of things again after about 4 years. Figured Ubuntu would be a nice entrance back. Gonna tinker. Thanks for such early replies =P
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."