Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dual monitor flickering

Hi boyboy,

First off, let me point out that I am not a qualified electronics engineer

I don't think that it is a dirt issue, but you could try cleaning each of the 15 holes gently with a pin? Neither do I think that it is a dry (cold?) joint problem. {Expansion/contraction of soldered joints with microfractures in them}.

Both of those would normally have symptoms of the thing doesn't work, cuts in and out, or only works when the machine has warmed up or cooled down a bit.

What you described is more a failing or defective electronic component issue in my experience.

You didn't say why you "had" to use a VGA connection, so the best solution I can suggest right now is to get a D-Sub (VGA) to HDMI connection cable. Over here a 6 foot one costs around £2 (GBP), you will want male connections at either end. Basically you are stuck with having to use HDMI to connect to the lappy and whatever connection suits the other device.

I am afraid that the D-Sub port problem is a repair shop job, which would be $$$ unless the lappy is still under warranty. In either case you would be without it for a while

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hi boyboy,
    You didn't say why you "had" to use a VGA connection
    Yea you're right..well after I bought that Dell computer and it didn't work out as I expected, I tried to sell it but in the first attempt I wasn't lucky then I got busy and put it away for some time then blahblahblah so I was kind of scared and reluctant to buy another second handed PC and decided to use the lappy as before but with VGA cable...

You remember the temperature problem? and remember that my lappy has two modes i.e. STAMNIA and SPEED and as far as I know, it has an onboard video card plus this NVIDIA card which activates if the SPEED mode is on (or maybe I'm wrong but anyways when I'm in STAMNIA mode, I don't have that temperature problem even when I watch full screen movies with my 22inches monitor having the lappy connected to...

The point is that the lappy does not allow me to use the HDMI cable in STAMNIA mode...something pops up and asks me to switch to the SPEED mode....

The model of my VAIO belongs to the states and their support sucks in Canada as well as the warranty is already expired anyways...

PS. but I really decide to buy a PC in near future if procrastination leaves me alone

Hi, I guess we need to look at just how SONY have implemented this?

It would seem that "SPEED" uses the independent video card and that "STAMINA" uses the onboard chipset?

It may well be that you don't have a problem with the D_Sub connection..........it's just that the onboard chipset cannot handle the 22" monitor?

If you use the HDMI then you get overheating............that shouldn't happen as the box is obviously intended to be used with an external HD monitor for gaming?

I would suggest that you access an external monitor using D-Sub, and see if that flickers. If it doesn't then it means that the onboard chipset cannot handle the 22" monitor and there is nothing wrong with your D-Sub connection.

Have you gone into your BIOS and Vista and checked your monitor settings try them on power saving rather than performance. Also have the fans always on at full speed. Check to see if there is a difference.

I am guessing that the onboard video chipset is also nVIDIA??????????? in which case you might have a solution from them. They do a thing called "SLI", which is for dual chipsets in a gaming environment. This may let you use both chipsets at once by overriding the SONY instruction set.

Try updating your nVIDIA software (nForce?), and look for an implementation of SLI.

Good luck

I have been with the secondary display on the laptop to use mobile units, such as VGA cable problem. I do not know if the VGA cable line is easy to bend or break, but I've been with the VGA cable problem...
    Last edited by HYBR|D; July 28th, 2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: I don't think english is 1st language so i edited this post to make it slightly more readable.

Hello luluxiu and welcome to AO.

I do not know if the VGA cable line is easy to bend or break
    The actual cable is very strong and flexible, the problem is usually with the connectors.

This is not so common with a desktop machine as you attach the cable and leave it there. With a laptop you are constantly plugging and unplugging the cable so the chances of damaging a connector are greater.

Banned
    Using MSI Afterburner parameters and load inventory (like a worm, not the card c) 2D and OC settings for my card sets 3d 5770

OH Dear! donaldsmith my dear little botmatic friend

Big FAIL on that one mate............. here we have an issue with a Sony laptop implementation of D-Sub/HDMI.......... nothing to do with what you suggest

I will give you a for that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, this is a family forum........... perhaps I shouldn't be seen playing with my botty in public?

Problem Solved

Flickering problem solved

OOHHHHH my gooddneesssssssssssssss

I don't know why I should come across this now after such a long time struggling but anyways I figured googling laptop+vga+flicker a couple of days ago and I did it and ran into this website:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/tosh...n-flicker.html

There it was suggested that the problem is because both monitor and lappy are hooked up to the same plate and running the lappy on battery might help. So I disconnected the power cord and flickers disappeared

I tried three different plates in my room but it didn't solve the problem so I guess the problem is with lappy running on power cord anyways...

Hi there boyboy, many thanks for the feedback, which I find most interesting!

Like yourself I have a US sourced laptop (Compaq CQ61US) so I will try it on my Samsung 23.3" and LG 21.5" screens. Over here we use 240~250v 50Hz on 13amp ring mains, so I have a stepdown transformer to feed into the lappy's PSU/transformer which runs at 110v.

I tried three different plates in my room but it didn't solve the problem so I guess the problem is with lappy running on power cord anyways...
    If you are anything like us, they will all be on the same ring, so you would only see a difference if one of the plates was defective?

You post has raised a side issue in my mind. I keep seeing adverts for these plug-in devices to turn your home power supply wiring into a home PC network.............I wonder if that would be affected by interference carried along the power cables?

Wow. I'm pretty surprised that was the cause of the issue. I would have thought that expensive equipment like laptops would filter those types of noise. But then again filters usually require larger amounts of capacitance which would take up lots of real estate in a laptop. Interesting though.