Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vista Automatic Shutdown

and even with only Philips monitor, it happened again today and after restarting the computer it happened I guess two more times successively...

I attach the log files hopefully someone can show me the light...

I don't even have a Canon printer! I don't even know what the f*** that Vaio entertainment upnp client adapter does in my computer <cry>...
    Attached Files Attached Files

You know, sometimes you have to sacrifice things to gain another thing! It was totally messed up and it didn't seem like it was going to cure so I transferred my files from C drive and then there is an option which formats the C drive and recover it to its factory settings and reloads the entire Vista (it can be found under Vaio Care) so I did. So far it seems to be OK....Stay tuned for future new

Hi there boyboy 400,

Sorry for the lack of input..............I got this stomach bug........... so it was mostly output for the past 10 days............. memo to self.... install dropdown system in John/Loo/Khazi/Heads

I think that you did exactly the right thing; those logs looked pretty bad. I would suspect conflicting malwares as it goes?

Please keep us informed, and many thanks for the feedback.

HYBR|D
    Isn't that upnp thing meant to prioritize network stuff? I mean there's an Nvidia app for mother boards that have the in-built network card on the motherboards, a person can assign priority apps for network activity, it's meant to come in useful so that you can assign priority to say online games that need to utilize maximun connection to the game server.

I think i was reading something similar the other day when i was having a quick research regarding this thread.

hopefully i'm making a little sense :??

I guess I'm pretty confident right now that unfortunately it's a temperature issue although my laptop is meant to be really great and expensive but....

I can say 95&#37; of the times it happened was during watching multimedia stuff.

One particular situation was you know, you can watch youtube videos either full screen or as it is like there is no middle ground. But sometimes I used to use ctrl and + in my firefox to maximize the normal youtube size video so to get something between normal condition and full screen. It ended up shutting down, I guess, all the times.

The other situation is when I watch full screen movies from my computer. After a while it slows down like you see interrupted movements and even if you try to minimize the windows you see that the minimization occurs slowly not as fast as always and after a few seconds the computer shuts down.

I also hear the sound of fan.
    I'm using an external keyboard and monitor as you guys probably know.

So I managed to put my laptop vertically leaning against a box right below my room's window and whenever this slow motion begins I open the window and after a while slow motion disappears and the laptop does not shut down...

The problem is that this part of Canada is like North Pole so when I open the window I have to put on a hoodie and .... which is not cool at all because I'll catch cold sooner or later....now I have this headache....

And I doubt if there is any solution for it....

Does anyone know anyway to keep the laptop cool like is there anything I can put below my laptop to absorbs the heat and solve the problem?

Practically I can't watch any full screen movie if the window is closed. Apparently full screening requires lots of energy leading to excess heat and shutting down.

I just downloaded CPUID hardware monitor and I'm trying to test this assumption using this software as well. And yes the ACPI temperature reaches the maximum as I start off watching the Glee full screen and it drops as I close the video player...HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    Last edited by boyboy400; November 13th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that many laptop brands are guilty of using piss-poor cooling systems, especially for the video chip. If you keep letting the lappy heat up to the point where it shuts itself off, you will likely eventually wear out the soldering around the video chip and be without video at all. So be warned.

As for optimizing cooling of the unit, a few things I like to do is run a vacuum over all of the air grills/holes to free any blockage. Other than that, just be sure that the lappy is elevated w/ at least 1.5" clearance around all of the air grills/holes. Also, try to set your display slightly dimmer. Seems to help.

They also sale cooling pads, but since I've never used one, I can't say how effective they are. I would imagine not very.

However, if your computer is cluttered with malware or is using other unneeded resources, then your processor my be running at 100&#37; all of the time, which will make it run hotter. To be sure, try this first:

Slow Computer Rant:

The first thing I would do is completely uninstall anything that says Norton or Symantec. It's a major resource hog. Follow the steps in this post, and we'll replace it with something equally effective and less demanding.

Next, download rkill.exe and Malwarebyte's Antimalware.

Boot into Safe Mode and run rkill, then Malwarebytes Antimalware and remove anything it finds.

After that, download and install Piriform CCleaner. Run the program, and on the left hand side select Registry. Scan and Fix Issues. Continue scanning for/repairing issues until it doesn't find anymore.

Then, if you're like 90% of Windows users, you probably have a ton of extra programs starting up automatically when Windows starts up. You can disable unneeded processes from starting up by doing the following:
    Go to Start-->Run-->type in 'msconfig' and hit <enter>

In the Startup tab, uncheck everything that you do not need running in the background at startup and click "Apply." Alternatively, you can just click "Disable All" and then go back later and re-enable any process you find you actually need on startup.

Then, in the Services tab, check Hide All Microsoft Services, uncheck everything that you do not need running in the background at startup and click "Apply." Again, you could just click "Disable All" and go back and re-enable certain processes later if you find that you need them running on startup.

Restart the computer.

Next, download and run the executable for TrendMicro HijackThis!. Post your scan log here and we'll see if there's anything else that needs to be looked at.

You should probably install a free anti-virus to help keep you protected (these aren't nearly as taxing on your memory as Norton). I prefer AVG Free Edition, but I've heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials as well. Avira AntiVir and Avast! are two more options. Please install one of these programs to help keep you virus free.

You should also defragment you harddrive. This can be done using the Windows Defragmenter found under Start-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Defragmenter. Alternatively, you can use a 3rd party disk defragmentation program such as Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Reboot the computer.

After you've done all of these things, please wait until the computer is idle (no programs loading/scanning/etc), and hit ctrl+alt+delete and make note of your CPU usage at the bottom of the popup window, and any programs using more than 10,000K in the process list.

I would also check your temperatures - I use SpeedFan.

On your next post, please give us your computer specifications if you haven't already. And please include the HijackThis! Log, your idle CPU usage and temperatures, large running processes (over 10,000K) and an update on how your it is running.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

OK, so let's have a quick rethink on this one?

Originally:

I don't think if there is any certain time for it. I don't recall doing anything special
    We now know that this seems to be a temperature issue related to the video card being loaded?

My guess at this point would be that the onboard video chipset in the laptop is not capable of supporting the resolution that the external monitor is set to.

If you persist with this you will certainly kill something! Most probably the video chipset, which is cold soldered to the motherboard. That means return to Sony and pay through the nose for a new motherboard.

Unfortunately, Windows will let you set resolutions that are not supported.

You need to go into your video settings and reduce the external monitor settings to ones supported by the video hardware, rather than the monitor. I would try 16-bit colour and a 1064x768 setting for starters. That is totally adequate for the shite you find on YouTube

Now, if you want to watch "proper" videos (like they are intended for fullscreen) then you really need a desktop. You don't need to go out and buy anything fancy or expensive as I have had great results with old PIII and P4s. Just make sure that it has an AGP slot, preferably a video card and a Microsoft OS sticker on it. You will need to check out local laws here as in the UK you sell the OEM OS with the computer. Corporations usually install their own corporate licence version, so the original OS shipped with the machine is still valid

What specific video card is that Vaio running?

We used to have engineers with high-end T60's running
    ATI FireGL cards (256mb) that gave us fits. The engineers
    needed them to run Catia (CAD) but a number of them
    had problems like you describe. The T60's would lock up
    in Catia and/or reboot. The standard T60's the reps and
    other users had didn't have issues.

I steer clear of high-end video cards in laptops.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hmmmm,

Design Engineers shouldn't have craptops

Can't think of any professional DE who would live with less than a 24+" screen, and probably twins?................they need desktop architecture, and permanent server support.

OK, a "field engineer" can, but they are not designing in the field (I hope!!!!) and do not need CAD, other than for "bragging rights"???????????

Professional CAD is very "back office", so craptops are out?

At least, that is how it works with WMD .............apart from the security angle.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Design Engineers shouldn't have craptops
    Ha! Tell those guys that. These particular engineers spent a lot of time in the
    field supporting aircraft design engineers who bought the composite tooling. And
    when they were in the office they did have the big monitors, hooked up to the
    docking stations.

We had composite machine tools in all the big aircraft mfg'ers. Boeing, Lockheed,
    Airbus, Embraer, Israeli plants (UAV's). Amazing machines. Composites start
    out as tape, and end up as airplanes. And Catia seems to be the preferred CAD
    app in aerospace.

It was weird. Catia ran without a hitch on half the T60's, the other half were nothing
    but grief. We had Lenovo techs out replacing mobos, the whole nine yards, never
    did get a handle on that other half. Must've been the users. ;^)
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers