Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Blunders

Talking Security Blunders

Security blunders 'dumber than dog snot'

I guess I just liked the title The article is here:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...og.html?page=2

Some interesting points that I am sure many of us have encountered at one time or another?

In fact, some policies only make some employees disgruntled because they are treated like enemies and children.
    I try to treat my users with respect... but if they are going to act like children, they are going to be treated like children. Come to think of it, being in a school setting, most of my users ARE children.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

A good response!

they are treated like enemies
    And you "engage" your enemies in combat .................and your co-workers in your projects? (which are actually their projects?).

I was always taught to design systems to be as idiot proof as possible, because the further an error gets into a system the more difficult and costly it is to correct it.

As for being treated like children...............well there is the doctrine of "least empowerment". Anything you need to be able to do you will, most of that which you don't, you won't.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Come to think of it, being in a school setting, most of my users ARE children.
    Never peeve of a highschool student, they will happily up-end a can of coca-cola onto the keyboard just to proove a point..

Meh. Keyboards are cheap
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Meh. Keyboards are cheap
    we have to fight just to justify replacing keyboards/mice here.. yet the bean-counters have no issue ordering in completly useless iPads

furiates me n will most likely lead to my early death..

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    we have to fight just to justify replacing keyboards/mice here.. yet the bean-counters have no issue ordering in completly useless iPads

furiates me n will most likely lead to my early death..

-- I can't even begin to tell you how worthless I think iPads are. My school bought me one to try out. The battery died a couple of months ago, and I haven't even bothered to charge the thing back up. I have an iPod touch, which I use every day... it is nice to be able to check my email, and then shove it in my pocket. If I want to use my iPad on the go, I have to carry a backpack. If I am going to carry a backpack, I might as well just carry my laptop, which blows the iPad out of the water when it comes to functionality.

But, yes you are right. HS students can be jerks... the idiocy at that age is astounding. Though, I was probably considered a jerk too at that age.

-HST

Man I'm a late bloomer... I'm not even 30, and yet in high school, I knew nothing about Computers. It wasn't until I got kicked out of high school and had to go to an adult education center that I started learning how they worked. I did have fun there though... They had IRC blocked, so I made a bunch of floppy disks at school where I had built an IRC chat thing that ran off the floppy and would get around that and still work, and sold them to people who for some reason HAD to be on IRC at school.

I made like 7 dollars a floppy... Man that was something lol.

As for kids being jerks, lol. If they get to be to much, just set the home page of the machine they use, or the log in they use (Back in that adult center they were all using Windows 98, so this wasn't an issue) you can set their home page to something naughty and show them that Bastards can always outshine jerks when it comes to electronic pranks that get someone suspended

I like to watch them playing games, and then right as they get to the end of the level, I take control of the system, kill their character, reboot their machine, and then take away their internet access while they wait for it to reboot.

I did, however, set up an internal games server, so that they could play games without putting a strain on our bandwidth... and we do allow the windows based games. Which also provides some fun... If I see someone playing solitaire, I will take control just long enough to push alt+shift+2 ... I am sure there are some very confused students.

These kids aren't nearly as creative as we were in HS. They are mainly just looking for proxy servers to get to their myface page. There is no sense of pranksterism. They just want their social networking fix.

-HST

Hmmm...........

Never peeve of a highschool student, they will happily up-end a can of coca-cola onto the keyboard just to prove a point..
    Yeah, it's called caution money................some big jock will smash the ****'s head into the desk until it is covered in blood................caution money comes out of your allowance //Me I just submitted the claim to my local education authority..............at the end of the semester I spent what I got back on beer and submitted a fresh claim the next semester.....I should have been a politician given that I knew how to fiddle expenses at that early age?

I bought a couple of keyboards a few weeks back.............one will go in the dishwasher and the other is spillproof/hosedown. Only problem would be if you

Then you would need a cocktail stick to deal with the lumpy bits

The keyboards cost £4.99 and £6.99 respectively. I remember MSM posting about them about 2 years' ago.............obviously they were not appreciated? so I got them at bargain basement prices. There is weird stuff out there, believe me..............webcams for £0.99.............4 port USB2 ex panders for £0.49................

As for solitaire........I guess I don't have the patience to play it? (pun intended) however, I do find it useful for checking video, as it is consistent, and I know what it should look like. If your video card or monitor can't handle something as undemanding as solitaire then you have problems?