Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exchange smtp help

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Exchange smtp help

Hey Guys,

Wondering if you could help here.

I have my exchange account and additionall POP accounts which I use for mail. All mail is recieved through my exchange for all mail accounts and then I can send on the individual account through the same SMTP.

Now on my laptop when I connect from home , normal xDSL I can send / recieve on my exchange account. So I can recieve mail from all mailboxes. But as soon as I try and send through one of the pop accounts it fails. smtp.gmail.com works fine on my desktop for my Gmail Imap account. If I dial up with 3G on my laptop I am able to send on all accounts, no issues.

Im not an exchange or SMTp fundi but what could cause this? I have checked with my ISP and they arent blocking SMTP at all. Hence I can send on the same network at home with Gmail. The error message is the basic one where it cant contact my SMTP server.

If you need more info about the setup please let me know.

Thanks.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Probably when you send through the exchange from outside your network you are not authenticated.

Use OWA and you can send and receive through your exchange that way.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Did you verify the Port settings on the client box that isn't working?

smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
    Port for SSL: 465

And IMAP:

imap.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 993

Also, have you verified your Firewall (software based if any) is not blocking?
    Last edited by Wazz; August 14th, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    Probably when you send through the exchange from outside your network you are not authenticated.

Use OWA and you can send and receive through your exchange that way.

MLF
    Hey MLF, I can use my exchange account jsut fine and the OWA would work but then I cannot send through pop accounts. I want to send through Outlook on my laptop.

Did you verify the Port settings on the client box that isn't working?

smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
    Port for SSL: 465

And IMAP:

imap.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 993

Also, have you verified your Firewall (software based if any) is not blocking?
    As I said Gmail works fine. NO Firewall blocking, it works via 3G but not on my xDSL.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Well....I am guess I am not understanding.

You are using an external POP3 account to send through your exchange??? It wont work as exchange requires authentication....unless you open it for relay which I would not recommend.

Have you tried my smtp requires authentication and supplying the exchange account and password ??

Why not use the POP3 account smtp server??

MLF

I think I'm missing something here... What I'm reading is that you have an Exchange machine, and you're using Outlook Express as your Email Application correct? And you're using an SMTP Server of some sorts, and THEN the Exchange?

Now, I may have read it wrong, or it may be worded somehow where I made a mistake, but... Why use Exchange for this then? Or, are you using Exchange to grab ALL the email, and THEN the client to read it and send it? I'm trying to understand exactly how this is set up but at first glance it seems like Exchange is there for really no reason as Outlook and Outlook Express both can connect directly to SMTP and, I might add, with ease.

By the way, it says on your post you "Can't send through Pop accounts", and I'm thinking it's because Pop is for Receiving, and SMTP is for sending.. I know that's common knowledge, and I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying, I've seen a lot of people try to do that, and they were just having a long day and got the two mixed up, and switching them fixed it is all.

Or, are you using Exchange to grab ALL the email, and THEN the client to read it and send it?
    This is exactly it gore. Im using outlook 2010 on my laptop. I have my exchange account with two pop accounts. I downloaded EVERYTHING through exchange and then send through the individual account. On my home network I cannot send through the POP accounts even thoough they are using the same SMTP as my exchange.

Recieving is fine as they all come through exchange, problem is sending through the individual accounts.

Sorry but I think I confused you
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Your ISP where the exchange is residing is probably blocking smtp traffic from outside of their network.....relaying so to speak. lots of ISPs do this to cut down on spam

It is an authentication problem

MLF

Cider -

That's OK, it's how it was worded, and I haven't slept like, at all this week. I was up for 41 and a half hours straight, then took a nap for a few hours and was up again for like another 27 hours, slept a few hours, then up again another 27 hours straight, slept 4 hours, and was up again, so I've been.... Sleepy to say the least heh.

Anyway, I Do agree that the problem is probably going to trace back to your ISP. I know my ISP blocks SMTP traffic, and a lot seem to be doing it now. May want to give them a call about this and see if you can work something out, or, if there are options on your end.

What exchange server are you running cider?