Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the number of hackers increase the success rate or speed?

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    This isn't a hacker site, per se, so we don't permit open discussion of hacking techniques except as they apply to their prevention. It's a security site.
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Can you guys teach me to hack the Gibson??
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

The number of attackers has no direct effect on the amount of time it takes to penetrate. It's not like moving a heavy object where adding people is going to directly affect the physics of it. It's a poker game. It's a guided game of chance.

The machine is either secure, or it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Can you guys teach me to hack the Gibson??
    You should sneak in through the backdoor, go for the garbage file.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by D0pp139an93r View Post
    You should sneak in through the backdoor, go for the garbage file.
    but but but i need a pretty gui app i can run in windows that i can just point my mouse n click buttons.

i don't want to read up no unix manual gimme gimme gimme..

the days of dumpster diving / social engineering finding holes in the target and doing a precission "Cracking" and then slipping away in the darkness of night are long lost arts. the youth of today just want it all now now now. Who cares if they make a ton of network noise doing loud as heck scans.

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    but but but i need a pretty gui app i can run in windows that i can just point my mouse n click buttons.

i don't want to read up no unix manual gimme gimme gimme..

the days of dumpster diving / social engineering finding holes in the target and doing a precission "Cracking" and then slipping away in the darkness of night are long lost arts. the youth of today just want it all now now now. Who cares if they make a ton of network noise doing loud as heck scans.
    You should code a GUI in Visual Basic, just like CSI.

Sorry Joe but I'm gonna have to agree on a little less strictness too with a very valid reason:

You never hire cops to show you how to break into a house to make a better lock, you hire a dirty rotten son of a bitch to do it right.

Thanks Captain Zap!

Anyway, I personally don't think there is an issue talking, discussing, or talking about, how to break into something, to better understand it. That curiosity is how most of us started, and most of the big companies today were founded by kids in a garage with this mentality. Even Apple (Steve Wozniak has my vote for greatest Hacker ever as he can design both hardware and software, and make it actually work, even down to the paper and pencil level) but either way, as long as there is a reason other than "I are teh Haxxor, I are rooting Hotmail" I don't think it's much of an issue.

Well, I don't have any problems with this particular thread, as it is about the logistics of hacking, rather than how to do it.

I would also comment that intel would play a part...................the more you know about a system, then the fewer people you would need as you would know what wasn't worth trying? On the other hand, if you know pretty much nothing about the system, more people would let you try more possibilities in a shorter space of time.

As has already been mentioned, the more people you have the greater the need for project management so they are all working as a team, and cohesively.

The number of attackers has no direct effect on the amount of time it takes to penetrate. It's not like moving a heavy object where adding people is going to directly affect the physics of it.
    Yes, I think that pretty soon you would hit "The Law of Diminishing Returns" ....basically you probe the system and look to see what the response is before making your next move.............that would be very difficult to control with too many people working on it.