Thread: Proxy Question

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Dude...That's actually kind of neat!

So what does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by simplesi View Post
    thanks Westin.

I've had a look at Tor and i've got some more questions;

How is Tor more safe than other proxies?
    When you mention SSL Strip on exit nodes, do you mean the end client could be in effect, waiting to attack your PC?

Personally i'm just researching security at the moment. I've had a quick look around and i think Tor looks like it'd be excellent as a way of bypassing web/content filters etc but you mention it's not good for security? Can you elaborate on this?
    With Tor, you have several systems that your traffic is being routed through. As you have probably read, it stands for The Onion Router -- As a reference to the multiple layers of an onion.

From the main site:

Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other applications based on the TCP protocol.
    With SSL Strip, they are not necessarily going to attack your system, but possibly eavesdrop on your traffic. Here is one example of traffic compromised by an exit node:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/s...exit-nodes/503

I imagine this information was going through in plain text. Though if you take a look at this video: http://vimeo.com/3970303 -- I am sure you can think of some good possibilities for picking up seemingly encrypted traffic. So with that said, Tor offers a relatively high level of anonymity, but not much in the way of security. Bottom line, don't use it to access sensitive accounts/information.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

@simplesi:

Hi and welcome to AO...........sorry for the late contribution, but I contracted a stomach bug, and my network doesn't extend into the John

Basically, NOTHING is secure as such. Ask yourself if they know where to find you and if they are out to get you (are you a target)?

For example, give me enough megatons and I would be into Fort Knox like a rat up a drain (or a can of worms with an outboard motor)..... and Fort Knox is supposed to be pretty secure?

Please realise that this is a UK viewpoint, but over here a perp is far more likely to hack into an unsecured wireless router in private ownership. That is probably about 75% of them That will then point at the proper user, but he won't have any logs.................

Or some non-profit who leaves their stuff on at night...........nobody on the bridge?

So, if you want to stay safe: stay off the internet, always deal in cash and carry a couple of FBGs at all times.

This is an FBG:

nihil - Did you mean BFG? As in the BFG9000?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hey westin,

Take your pick:

It has been a long while, but I would still suggest starting with the smaller calibers and working up?...............I stopped at 105mm

OMG!........ I didn't realise that I had artistic talent! I have created a perfect tableau of "A day in the House of Representatives"

EDIT:

OK westin, I have just spotted it

We English would embed the "F******" so it becomes an adjectival pronoun.............you guys treat it as a swearword, so put it first................? Hey, that's damn subtle!
    Last edited by nihil; September 3rd, 2010 at 07:56 PM.

lol. I was just going off of the Doom games...

-HST