Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tor project (plus some other questions)

Live boot is the only way to go.

To fool the father.

Use windows daily to check school email, google for projects and resources, normal everyday stuff. Use office products (or what ever) to create documents. Set up spread sheets to track - gas usage, school schedule, whatever!

Modify these files every few days.

ineffect. Use the laptop as dear old dad wants you to.

NOW.

When you're off to surf pr0n, act out in an online chat room pretending to be a 15 year old cheerleader.... no wait that's me! Anyway when you head off to create acounts at hotmail, yahoo, facebook shut down your laptop and boot into whichever live cd you choose.

Unplug the cat 5 cable from the modem and plug it into your laptop. SURF AWAY!!!!! If you plan on doing illegal things, use tor - or what ever proxy your distro offers.

VERY IMPORTANT!

Once you're done surfing, turn off your laptop AND YOUR ROUTER AND YOUR MODEM!

Plug the cat 5 back into the router and IN THIS ORDER turn on your modem, wait 2 minutes then turn on your router.

No trace
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

HYBR|D
    Wait.... why 2minutes? It's not as though he's cooking noodles

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    Wait.... why 2minutes? It's not as though he's cooking noodles
    It's easier than saying "wait until the flashing lights are done doing their thing", OR, "Ensure the power cycle completed successfully by verifying that the front panel indicator lights are on and in their proper sequence - See Owners manual p.nnn"

'Cause then you have to explain power cycles, why the modem needs to re-aquire it's IP from your ISP. Then you have to explain that the router cannot (or should not) be trying to serve DHCP address' until it has properly negotiated with the Modem, and that activity may not be completed within the 20 some odd seconds it takes from plugging the power cord into the modem and plugging the power cord into the router.

*breath*

GOD FORBID you need to get into explaining MAC addresses, along with OSI layers 3, 4 and possibly 5.

But for you HYBRID

EDIT:

Plug the cat 5 back into the router and IN THIS ORDER turn on your modem, go cook some noodles then turn on your router.
    Last edited by dinowuff; September 14th, 2010 at 06:40 PM.

Plug the cat 5 back into the router and IN THIS ORDER turn on your modem, go cook some noodles then turn on your router.
    -- Priceless.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

HYBR|D
    Welp at least you explained why the dude needs to wait. I only asked because i'm sure the OP isn't that tech saavy, so he may have wondered why he needed to wait those few minutes prior to plugging it all back in correctly.

I usually boil the kettle and make a nice mugg of coffee before i re-connect back into the dsl modem.

your biggest risk is if your dad used parental control software
    some of them have a scheduled screen-grab feature. That is your biggest risk.
    so Live CD is you best choice

of course, there is still a chance that your dad used a hidden camera behind you desk

Quote Originally Posted by The_tyrant View Post
    of course, there is still a chance that your dad used a hidden camera behind you desk
    True, that's why you should always wear the extra wide tinfoil hat!

Thanks again for all your help!

You're right, I'm not particularly savvy with hardware - I'm more of a software person, so I did not at all understand the explanation of why I need to wait two minutes. But at least I can follow your directions (I think...I haven't tried yet!)

And yes, of course I always look over my shoulder for hidden cameras!

In response to nihil, the router is a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G broadband router.

Quote Originally Posted by Aouzr32 View Post
    Hello,

I have quite a few questions, so I'll try not to ramble on for too long...if someone knows the answer to one of my questions but not all, feel free to give me some partial help. I'm fairly new to security, so I've been trying to teach myself a lot of stuff, but these are some questions that I haven't been able to find definitive answers to.

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium, running Norton.
    Ditch Norton, install Avast. Norton lacks useful heuristics, and has a really shitty record with software incompatabilities. Avast is also free.
    Okay, so my basic situation is: Despite the fact that I'm 19, my dad has decided to monitor everything I do on my laptop (I'm currently in college, but living at home). So I'm trying to set up a general package of security measures that will prevent him from keeping track of what I do (honestly I'm not doing anything that bad, I just have issues with him invading my privacy). He has my laptop password, so he has the ability to install software and stuff on my laptop without me knowing. Here's what I have set up so far: I've used Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and a little program called kl-detect which claims to detect keyloggers - all came up clean. I access the internet with Google Chrome in Incognito mode, and use the Tor Project for anonymity. Every week or so, I use BleachBit to wipe temporary files, mru lists, etc. and then wipe my free disk space to remove any traces of deleted files. So my first question is: are there any holes in this protection scheme? What else should I be doing to ensure my privacy?
    Chrome is insecure and leaks information even in Incognito mode. IE is the best option for "private browsing." Opera is also a good choice.
    Now some more specific questions:
    1. I know there are a lot of security problems with the Tor Project, particularly at the exit nodes. Should I be okay as long as I am careful to use SSL for sensitive information?
    If you're concerned about your father seeing things, Tor will prevent easy snooping over the network unless he is somewhat advanced. Tor and SSL *will not* prevent a local sniffer from watching you.
    And on that subject, when I log into Facebook the default is http, however I read that you can use https just by changing the web address, if the website supports it. The problem is that I have https on the login page, but when I login it takes me to an unsecured page. So are my username and password sent using SSL, or not?
    Credentials are sent via SSL, session cookies are in the clear. You're ****ed either way.
    2. My dad doesn't have them set up yet, but he's planning on putting parental controls on our router (maybe on my computer too, I don't know). People seem to think that the Tor Project or a proxy server will circumvent these, but I'm not sure I understand why. If the parental controls are based on a block list, it seems like it should work. If they scan the content of a page to determine whether to block it, how can a proxy overcome this? Really shouldn't the router be able to see everything that comes through it, even if it doesn't know where it came from? For example, even though the router can't tell I'm getting a page from google.com, can't it see an HTML file that looks like google.com come through? And is it possible for someone to view these pages?
    If you're using Tor, nothing from the session can be viewed at the router other than the encrypted stream which does not disclose anything that would trip parental controls. However, it is simple to filter the allowed ports so that Tor will not work. On a purely SSL connection, only the headers can be seen; source, destination, etc.
    3. Everyone says that Flash is a major vulnerability in Tor - since I use youtube a lot, this is a bit of a problem. I always assumed that youtube sent me an swf file over the same connection as everything else. But it sounds like Flash establishes its own direct connection between youtube and me? Am I understanding this correctly? Is there any way to overcome this problem?
    Use of a VPN can overcome this, all network traffic is routed through the VPN. Still vulnerable to local attacks/monitoring.
    In general, I'm primarily concerned with the security of my own computer and the ability to hide my internet traffic within my house - I'm not doing anything illegal, so it doesn't matter if my ISP or people can keep track of what I'm doing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much! I hope I haven't scared you all with the length of this message!
    Best advice: Get a job and move the **** out.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

OK it looks like the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G does support both parental controls and internet usage logging.

It is one of those more sophisticated hybrid devices that I mentioned.

If you connect through it the traffic will show up, and connecting to a proxy would be a dead giveaway.

As already suggested the only solution would be to connect directly to the modem, which might not be practical depending on its location in the house?

Also if anyone else in the house tried to connect to the internet whilst you were doing this the cat would be out of the bag!

I don't know if this is possible but you would need a pay-as-you-go mobile internet account and a dongle. A rather expensive solution I know, but all that I can think of that would not risk discovery on the home network, as you wouldn't be using it.

An ordinary account would be no good unless you could get the statements sent somewhere other than home college perhaps? Otherwise it would again be a dead giveaway.

All you would have to do then is boot from a live CD to protect you from any software installed on the laptop.