Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Unreal Tournament 3 on wifi LAN

Unhappy Playing Unreal Tournament 3 on wifi LAN

Dear All,

Hope this thread finds you in best of spirits.

I recently bought a wifi router and want to play Unreal Tournament 3 on wifi LAN. I've been surfing a lot on this but couldn't get a solution and finally my last hope rests with antionline's finest members.

I connect everything and host the LAN game on desktop and game begins. Now I try to join with laptop and no server appears.. I just keep refreshing.. nothing happens. Vice versa... I host game on laptop, following error appears:

Error
    Your network configuration is not compatible with hosting matches. Please check your router's manual for instructions on setting up 'Port Forwarding' or a 'DMZ server'.

and then game begins... but it never appears on desktop when I search for servers to join for lan game.. sob :`(

I'm a networking noob.. apologies for my ignorance in advance..

Please advice me what should I do? Please feel free to guide me to any tutorials links, etc.

Thanks a zillion in advance.

Regards

Will it allow you to specify the address of the hosting system manually? Everything should be internal, so you wouldn't need to open any ports on your router.

Can you ping one system from the other?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

HYBR|D
    Greetings.

I have had similiar issues in the past, you will defiantly need to forward the needing ports for UT.

here is a fiarly straight forward site that lists the needed port/s that you will need to forward via your router's config page.

They also have a really good config tool, you select your router model, and grab the config file and presto all the hard work done. (Off-course it costs 29.95$)

http://portforward.com/cports.htm
    Last edited by HYBR|D; September 10th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

HYBR|D
    Unreal Tournament 3 6500, 7777, 7778, 7787, 13000, 27900
    Those are the ports you will need to forward, that is if you decide to manually forward them yourself without giving there config tool the job.

Forgive my ignorance, but if he's playing a LAN game, there will be more then 1 PC on his network needing ports opened. How would he forward the needed ports to all (both) pc's? I figured port forwarding would only be needed for online play, not LAN.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

AOs Resident Troll
    allow port xxxx from WAN ip *.* to LAN ip *.*

Depending on the router\firewall.... what router are you using??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Erm... I was under the impression that both systems were on the same LAN, so forwarding would not really be needed... I don't have to open ports in my router to connect to other systems on my LAN...

Maybe I am reading his post wrong, but both the host [server], and client are on the same network.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe it is his local firewall eg XP firewall that is blocking it???

If thats the case then he has to disable or make exceptions for the ports HYBR|D listed

Or maybe the software calls home???...then it would be the ports on the router

MLF

But if it calls home, that would be an outbound connection... usually all outbound ports are open by default on home routers. But morganlefay may be onto something with the Windows firewall. I would agree that you should disable it as a test, and then if it works, add the exceptions.

-HST

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe the software comes back in from the interweb...some kind of license verification...etc

Not sure as I am not familiar with the software...maybe a internet connection and those ports are required even for LAN gaming??

Probably the windows firewall though...

MLF