Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer 9 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    There so stable if your able feed enough resources just to keep them from either BSOD or slowing to a crawl if left on for long periods of time. You can mash as much components together but you won't get a stable OS from either, 1 likes to crash when it wants, the other bloats itself with system resource expense until it's out of breath and just dies.

Yep i can see why both never did/will see themselves in a production environment.
    ME wasn't built on the NT kernel and was not designed for anything other than household use. Vista was fine after SP1 and even a halfassed configuration.

When we talk about memory usage we tend to forget that unused RAM is a waste. Great, you have two gigs free... Why not use that for predictive caching?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

HYBR|D
    <Side note, i'm pretty tired atm so forgive if i am coming of arrogant

Even for a "Home" use Me was horrid. No matter how you set it up or threw what ever mixture of "Hardware" it would BSOD when your doing basic things, God help you if you actual needed to do something or run a system intense app.

People still complain about Vista pre SP or after a SP it still bottlenecks and once again simple task become mundain.

And most home users wouldn't know the 1st thing when it comes to getting knee deep in the inner settings to make a half assed config just to keep the machine from BSOD or grinding to a halt because it's so sys resource hungry or just plain unstable.

And most home users just want to press the ON button do there thing without having to worry about if the OS is suddenly going to BSOD or grind to a halt before you can mash the save button, or have to rebuild the mbr etc because you had to hard reboot the machine cause it froze and won't recover.

Well I ran ME on a PII 333MHz with 384MB and I built my wife an AMD Duron 1.3GHz with 512MB and neither of us had any significant problems.

As I recall, ME was rather prone to memory leaks so it wouldn't run for prolonged periods before becoming unstable. However as we always turn kit off when not in use, this never became an issue.

Where I did have problems was with a PII 266MHz and 128MB of 72-pin EDO RAM. Now that was unstable Strangely, it worked just fine with Windows 2000.

I also had problems with a P4 1.7GHz and 768MB ..........As I recall none of the Windows home OSes could reliably handle more than 512MB? Once again, switching to WIN 2000 fixed that.

As for my Vista box (Home Premium) it has a 2.17GHz processor and 2.5GB of RAM. I have had no problems with it so far.

Maybe I have just been lucky? or perhaps I don't run particularly intensive applications?

I do use File Hippo and Secunia PSI and try to keep everything up to date, and ditch stuff that I have been playing with, and no longer use.

As the saying goes "your mileage may vary"

HYBR|D
    Anyhow Firefox 4, like rival Microsoft 's Internet Explorer 9 (IE9), relies on Windows' Direct2D API to boost browser performance by shifting some chores from a computer's central processor to the graphics processor.

The hardware acceleration switched on in Beta 5 requires Windows Vista or Windows 7 ; the more popular Windows XP lacks the necessary graphics infrastructure, a fact that's prompted Microsoft to drop XP from IE9's supported operating systems.

Even though MS arn't going to port ie9 to XP or lower, those whom still want to experience this whole GPU wow factor Chrome 7 from the dev channel and the newer Firefox 4 Beta's have similar features enabled, You off-course need a Graphics card that is DirectX 10 ready.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; September 20th, 2010 at 04:20 AM.

the more popular Windows XP lacks the necessary graphics infrastructure
    Probably because it was designed to run with as little as 8MB of Video RAM?

For those of you running XP, I can tell you that it seems to work just fine, although I have only just installed it. In fact, MOZZ claim that it will work with Win 2000 (but I haven't tried that yet).

You may not get all the fancy eye candy but at least there is continuity and it does not mean that you will have to buy a new OS and video card

This is really what intrigues me about MS's approach? as I see it, their strategy is likely to drive XP users elsewhere if they want an up-to-date supported browser?

EDIT:

Chrome 7 will also support XP
    Last edited by nihil; September 18th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

Nihil, that now becoming famous crap Gateway essentials I have only has 8 MB of Video from a shitty ATI card. It has 192 MBs of RAM, and that terribly crap 433 MHz Intel Celeron Processor.

With that hardware however, I was able to run Slackware 13 with Enlightenment 17, and some nice GUI features like Ripple FX, and so on....And Opera worked great on it

Firefox loaded...Once.... I think I beat the uptime of most Windows machines just waiting for it to load though. But yea, the only two browsers I actually bothered using on that, were Opera and Epiphany. Nothing else wanted to load much.

I've also seen people on here saying "The problem with most computers and Windows is that most people have XP and not enough RAM because they still have machines with 512 MBs of RAM"....

I only have TWO machines, with more than 512 MBs of RAM. One machine I can't use because the Processor is a ****ing AMD Athlon XP 2600+, and it has 768 MBs of RAM, and then this machine, with 4 GBs of RAM.

My Laptop has 512 MBs of RAM, which is the same amount as my secondary Desktop that I use for making Music and Email, and then my Server has 384 MBs of RAM, and so I don't really have much in choices for that. Old RAM costs more money than new RAM, and I simply can't afford to buy a bunch of RAM.

I do find it strange though that someone here actually said a while back that XP wasn't working because "They only had 512 MBs of RAM".... The minimum was, as I recall, either 128 or 256 MBs of RAM.... Why is 512 not enough then?

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by nuesha View Post
    where can i find a site for a new internet explorer?
    This would now be the 2nd time you've asked this, and here is the link to the website were you can get the new version of internet explorer 9

http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/

Banned
    where can i find a site for a new internet explorer?
    http://trololololololololololo.com/

I put a link to the download

Hmmm,

@ gore

Nihil, that now becoming famous crap Gateway essentials I have only has 8 MB of Video from a shitty ATI card. It has 192 MBs of RAM, and that terribly crap 433 MHz Intel Celeron Processor.
    You have provoked me into having a look at kit I use regularly, (values are in gigabytes of RAM):

1 x 3.0
    1 x 2.5
    1 x 2.0
    5 x 1.0
    1 x 0.764
    3 x 0.512
    2 x 0.384
    1 x 0.192
    1 x 0.128
    1 x 0.064

I was always taught to test stuff on the lowest hardware configurations on site, because you do not look like a good project manager if they suddenly have to find an extra $2M for hardware to support implementation of your solution?

Anyways, you know that I am a hardware fanboi?

I probably have another 20 or so in my "museum"

EDIT:

When we talk about memory usage we tend to forget that unused RAM is a waste. Great, you have two gigs free... Why not use that for predictive caching?
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given a WIN 32 bit system, it is practically not capable of addressing more than about 3.1GB of physical RAM.............. so I use the rest of the 4.0 to build a "ramdrive" (like 900 MB) and tell it that is where the pagefile lives

Because Windows XP is a journaling OS, it needs a pagefile......... best have it in RAM? which is a lot faster than the HDD?

Just my view
    Last edited by nihil; September 20th, 2010 at 03:47 PM.