Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Corporate AV. eEye?

Hybrid View

Question Best Corporate AV. eEye?

I am updating the antivirus software on a client's domain network. They are currently using AVG. I used Blink Personal a long time ago and thought it would be a good solution. Blink purports to protect against most 0-day exploits and has a vulnerability assessment feature similar to Secunia. The Retina software can run the vulnerability assessment from the server on all IPs (depending on license) as well as connected devices (routers, printers, etc.). Is this a good recommendation, or is there something better?
    sandwich.

Well, Blink hasn't appeared in any tests or reviews I have seen in the past couple of years.

I believe that it is based on Norman?

Personally, I use Avira, and find it satisfactory.

EDIT:

Blink purports to protect against most 0-day exploits
    Now that would worry me......................the last two tests against zero day that I saw, the best score was around 40%
    Last edited by nihil; September 18th, 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Define corporate:

For a large enterprise, you should be using TrendMicro or Symantec. Smaller businesses can use Nod32, Avast, or anything else.

I'd avoid AVG at all costs.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Define corporate part is important. However, I would vote for Kaspersky but i haven't worked on their console.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

By corporate I mean a small or medium business domain network. An AV software that has a central management console that can be run on the server to centralize operation. I have since installed the Blink software in a commercial environment. I have used the software before and never had any problems with it, so I wasn't going in blind. Steve Gibson had recommended it before after researching their claims and had an episode of his podcast about it. So far it seems to integrate well. The vulnerability assessment seems give a lot more info and lists more vulnerabilities than Secunia when I tested both at the client location. The software is available for Enterprise as well. The question was, if anyone has experience with Blink, how it stands against the well known options. My main decision was based on the vulnerability scanner and the zero-day protection. The sales guy I had on the phone (I know he's a salesman and not necessarily truthful) said that when Google was hacked due to a Windows zero-day exploit, they called eEye to protect their system. I can't confirm this, but I also haven't found anyone reputable calling them out on false advertising with their zero-day protection.
    sandwich.

Bob, it is patently obvious that you have made your decision............. and may the Lord have mercy on your soul.

You will get no comments on Blink here because nobody uses it. Go figure?

Nobody will "call" them on their zero day claims......... we are all

EDIT:

Steve Gibson had recommended it
    Ummm, yes, well ................
    Last edited by nihil; September 22nd, 2010 at 07:38 PM.

As I said, I used the software before and was happy with it aside from conflicts with uTorrent and Sandboxie. That was 5 years ago. They have a monthly report dissecting the latest Windows updates and claim whether the exploit was protected or not pre-patch by the software. No one has said that those claims were false. As far as Steve Gibson is concerned, having listened to his podcast, Security Now, for the last 500 episodes, he is very discriminating and thorough when investigating a product. He explains how it works, where it falls short, and where it excels in great detail in easy to understand terms breaking those down even further including background on the concepts and interaction with the system. He has been well known in the industry for decades and has been above reproach. That is why I value his opinion in matters such as these. As well, he does not accept payment or solicitation for his reviews, they are usually by listener demand or because of a unique feature.

I have made my decision in this case and will let you know how it goes, good or bad. As far as other alternatives, I see people praise just about every similar product out there as much as I find disdain. I personally had bad experience with Symantec in that the version we were using at another location, the clients would just lose their license credentials randomly and not update. Also, I can't find it reasonable that if a corporate software is so great, how is it that the home versions are so terrible in function and detection. There is a lot less to single system security than network security to deal with. I have had issues with all the major brand software in their residential software and feel it is possible that people just are going with the name because they are too afraid to try something new in this sort of environment. Fortunately, I am only replacing AVG in this instance and there are only 7PCs and a server on the network. They had no problems even with AVG, so I don't feel I am taking a risk considering opinions on alternatives are so divided.

I still would like feedback on what other people think is the best and more importantly why.
    Last edited by CyberB0b; September 22nd, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
    sandwich.

i would recommand kaspersky entreprise edition. i find it really efficient
    just schedule the updates to be done before everyone comes to office so they don't get slowed (is that might happen)
    moreover it has a firewall and anti-spam so u'll be happy to see that it can replace many other soltions ;-)
    good luck to make your choice ^^
    Toka Koka: To receive a reward, an equivalent sacrifice has to be made!

Mcafee has a really nice central management console called EPO. Mcafee virascan is not to bad they have a lot of false positives and have been known to blow computers up.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Are you looking for a cloud solution or traditiontal?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein