Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trend's cloud

Jeez...

Cloud computing (in the sense that Cider is using it has been around forever) Surf Control, Web Sense anybody?

Remote access to applications and software.. Hum let me think.. Yes, yes... I seem to remember I was M$ certified on Windows NT4 Terminal server edition. Oh and CITRIX certified.

The major change that started all this "Cloud SHI7" was the Amazon and RackSpace architecture. Which I love btw. I have a Rackspace account. I run windows 2008 server, M$ SQL 2008 and SharePoint 2010. I am thinking about adding communication server.

Since I am running M$ SQL it cost's me $1.87 per hour to run. The ISP routs all connections through MX Logic (recently purchased by Mcafee - or the other way around) So antivirus is on the proverbial gateway.

I can add memory, processors, disk space as needed when needed. I'm not sure how much storage space I am limited to. There are too many zeros and I don't know what comes after TeraByte. Best thing is I can turn the whole thing off when not in use. I can use the site 6 hours every 3 months or 24X7 They don't care. Pay as you go is the best way for me.

Major applications, Oracle, Microsoft are all "cloud ready" Like I said nothing new, just a new way of doing it. RDP over HTTP for instance.

So for the love of Mike, PLEASE PEOPLE - IT'S THE INTERNET. Clouds are the things floating above us in the sky. Sometimes they're white, sometimes they're not, but they are NEVER, NEVER COMBUTER BASED!
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    lmao - would you rather it being referred to as a hosted solution. Its nothing fancy , I know its been around for a while but we are talking about the AV sense here, possibly the most critical sense of security besides ACL lists.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Larry explains it better than I can. Pretty much "Cloud Computing" Nothing new here to see.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10052188-80.html

AOs Resident Troll
    The computer industry is the only industry that is more fashion-driven than women's fashion. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have no idea what anyone is talking about. What is it? It's complete gibberish. It's insane. When is this idiocy going to stop?
    Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10...#ixzz10vZSqv6s

hahahahah....great link Dino

....its just rebranding of existing technologies....software as a service.

Reminds me of the dumb WYSE terminals I used to work with.......many many many moons ago!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

And to have such a negative response to the cloud is just naive
    Really? Name calling?
    Well, maybe I am ..... I am an old fart, set in my ways.

But clouds are not new to me: I can not count the number of times over the past few years I have seen “ no response from the cloud server”

And it wasn't unexpected from the AV companies http://www.antionline.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=16
    It is that I object to it.

( As westin says, it appears Panda has a little different approach? )

But what happens when I am out at a seminar and they hand us a disk with info on it. Do I wait until I have Internet connection before I can scan it, or just insert and run blindly?

How does the AV cloud handle encrypted traffic that doesn't expand until after it is on my computer? ( no, we haven't seen anything like that before )

The AV companies try to solve a problem without addressing the causes of the problem ( which, in their defense they have little control over. )

But to jump on the bandwagon of the latest buzz phrase and try to convince people it is better for the customer when in reality it is just easier for them to manage ..... wait, does this remind anybody of Web 2.0? It has more features!
    Have all the security pitfalls been solved with that yet? MS10-070 OOB Patch for ASP.NET vulnerability (Infocon YELLOW)
    ( Oops, I digress, couldn't help myself. )

morgan, I spent years sitting at a WYSE terminal, but it was not connected to a server at another company which was out of our control: the server was managed in house.

... dont store CIA docs on there ...
    How much extremly confidential information is stored on peoples computers every day, sent through e-mail, etc. What if I receive my orders to ship out via e-mail or pdf? The AV sees it and says, wait, it might have an exploit in it, send it to the cloud? Or it was reviewed by the cloud first. Now somewhere, in some country, a server has information on troop movements of my unit. Shouldn't I have any say about this? Is my government going to ban use of those products by their personnel and their families?

As I read their explination of their cloud, this appears to me to be the closest thing to Big Brother yet!
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

AOs Resident Troll
    IKnowNot you bring up very valid points.....I dont like it much myself....to many variables.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I hear what you are saying but for the average user a SaaS could be also easier for them. Personally I would choose a traditional AV if I were managing it but you wont believe how many companies over here in SA are outsourcing their IT , even the bigger guys are doing it.

I will try and see what exactly Trend does with their solution and come back to you guys.

Really? Name calling?
    Well, maybe I am ..... I am an old fart, set in my ways.
    Wasnt a direct attack on you mate :-)
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    In the recent Internet.Com newsletter, there's an interesting .pdf regarding cloud security.
    Security of Cloud Computing Users
    Prepared by Dr. Larry Ponemon, 12 May 2010
    I. Executive Summary

CA and Ponemon Institute are pleased to present the results of the
    Security of Cloud Computing
    Users

study. This paper represents the first of a two-part series on security of cloud applications,
    infrastructure and platforms. We also have a second study that focuses on cloud computing
    providers located in the United States and Europe. This study will be released in the coming
    months.
    Cloud computing is being heralded as an important trend in information technology throughout
    the world. Benefits for business and IT include reducing costs and increasing productivity. The
    downside is that many organizations are moving swiftly to the cloud without making sure that the
    information they put in the cloud is secure.
    The purpose of the study is to learn from IT and IT security practitioners in the US and Europe the
    current state of cloud computing security in their organizations and the most significant changes
    anticipated by respondents as computing resources migrate from on-premise to the cloud. As
    organizations grapple with how to create a secure cloud computing environment, we believe the
    findings from this study can provide guidance on how to address business and technology risks
    exacerbated by cloud computing. Specifically, in this study cloud computing users evaluate
    security technologies and control practices they believe are best deployed either on-premise or in
    the cloud. We also asked cloud computing users to rate the types of sensitive or confidential
    information too risky to be moved to the cloud.
    Cloud computing has been defined as the use of a collection of distributed services, applications,
    information and infrastructure comprised of pools of computer, network, information and storage
    resources. These components can be rapidly orchestrated, provisioned, implemented and
    decommissioned using an on-demand utility-like model of allocation and consumption.

1 Cloud
    service delivery models are Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and
    Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS).
    We surveyed 642 and 283 IT practitioners (a.k.a. cloud computing users) located in the US and
    Europe, respectively. We queried these individuals about the following topics:

Very Nice HYBR|D, thanks