Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trend's cloud

Trend's cloud

My Trend is due to expire, went to Trend's site, and now they have
    Trend Micro Titanium which uses “cloud technology”

Has anyone used this, or know how it works?

From what I can gather everything you do will first be looked at by their cloud before it reaches your computer.
    But doesn't this just make them a man-in-the-middle ?

So ALL my bandwidth goes through them first?

Does anyone else have a problem with this, or is it just me?

They say it speeds things up because you don't have to constantly download file patterns, etc., and you use less space on your hard drive. But then how do they tell if a file you downloaded two weeks ago ( which they didn't know about ) and now wants to run on your computer is malicious ??? Or an e-mail you haven't opened in two years?

It is one thing to trust an AV company, quite another to trust them implicitly.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Ugh.. I am so sick of hearing about cloud computing. Go away and die already. Google docs is AWESOME!!!1! Lets put all of our confidential documents in there so we can collaborate!!! Heaven forbid our ISP bites it, and we lose access for a couple hours... Oh NOES! Or someone clicks a wrong button, and we suddenly have global access to our info. Sorry, I have been dealing with higher-ups that think cloud computing is the best thing since oxygen.

And to trust all of my information flowing through 'cloud technology' -- Not a chance.

Drives me to
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

westin, just do what I did when the exec team here wanted cloud computing.

Your hardware may differ but the results are the same.

Two new layer 3 switches.
    New SAN. (24 virtual server atm)
    Migrate all your old **** to the new VM's (I used M$ cause it's free)

When you report out on your capital expense, title it (or at least list the hardware) "Local Cloud"
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Ok to answer your question without getting into the whole "confidential" issue.

I work for Panda Antivirus and we have implemented cloud 'scanning' in all products. We have a fully fledged cloud product called panda endpoint protection where the 'console' is hosted by us versus on your infrastructure.

The way it deals with malware.

Is has a local signature file with generic heuristics and some deep code scanning heuristics. If malware is suspected on a file it will query the cloud via an MD5 checksum which will come back and say goodware or badware.

In my opinion this is great as you have access to our whole database not jsut a 50 megabyte signature file locally on the machine.

YES you will need internet access for this which is one of the drawbacks but I asure you it does work.

And to have such a negative response to the cloud is just naive if I have never seen an answer. Yes dont store CIA docs on there but merely from an AV perspective it is the way of the future.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions or get developers involved here to give you more insight as to what we do.

If you are going to test , give us a try: http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...gedprotection/

This by no means is myself trying to advertise but we are ahead of the game with this. (dont come with your 1970's cloud crap :P).
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dinowuff View Post
    westin, just do what I did when the exec team here wanted cloud computing.

Your hardware may differ but the results are the same.

Two new layer 3 switches.
    New SAN. (24 virtual server atm)
    Migrate all your old **** to the new VM's (I used M$ cause it's free)

When you report out on your capital expense, title it (or at least list the hardware) "Local Cloud"
    Haha! I love it!

Oh, and cider,

You sound just like those vendors I hang up on. To quote one of my favorite movies:
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    Last edited by westin; September 28th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

hmmm, was trying to have a discussion , not a sales pitch.

If you dont do the whole cloud computing please give your thoughts so we can have a discussion?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Fair enough. As noted above, I am not fond of cloud computing. Maybe I am just old fashioned, or maybe I just get sick of hearing about it from my superintendent...

The OP was indicating that all traffic flowed through the AV company before coming to them. If that is the case, then I want no part of it. It sounds like Panda has a different model.
    If malware is suspected on a file it will query the cloud via an MD5 checksum which will come back and say goodware or badware.
    Which really sounds like an automated version of virustotal.

-HST

Hi westin,

Yes it basically is like virus total except VT uses our unix command line engine and not our cloud engine.

We have an email based computing story where mail will flow via us which will be scanned, I dont llike that tbh but scanning your pc and sending the md5 could be useful.

The traditional av works great if you lock your network down but believe me not everyone is like you :P
    Albert Einstein

The traditional av works great if you lock your network down
    Yes, I definitely agree with you here.

but believe me not everyone is like you :P
    That is probably not a bad thing.

but scanning your pc and sending the md5 could be useful.
    I can see some merit to this, but does it do it behind the scenes, or does it say 'we are sending a report for this file'?

-HST

Quote:
    but scanning your pc and sending the md5 could be useful.
    I can see some merit to this, but does it do it behind the scenes, or does it say 'we are sending a report for this file'?
    This would be part of the resident av or a scheduled scan you would do from your management console (in this case it would be your cloud based console hosted by us) and it will solely be done in teh background.

Some digging you will find a process running but no popups for the end user, totally transparent.
    Albert Einstein