Thread: HELP ASAP GATEWAY 500GR DESKTOP

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

HELP ASAP GATEWAY 500GR DESKTOP

Hello fellow members of AO. I have a customers Gateway Desktop 500GR. My client accidently shutdown his system by accident. How? He turned off the battery backup power supply with his foot while the system was on at the desktop. Ever since then, the computer loads into the desktop then immediately reboots it's self and is stuck in a continous cycle. It will load into the desktop SOMETIMES then immedately reboots it's self.

I hit F8 tried (last known good configuration) didn't work. Tried starting windows normally no luck same issue.

I tried booting the system into safe mode, and I was able and to check the event viewer found a couple errors in there. Tried to resolve those errors didn't work. I tried system restore from safe mode didn't work. Prior to this the client did a norton scan nothing found. Samething with adware /spyware no issues. I checked the hard drive using computer management 79% free on the Hard drive and it states it's heathly.

As a last resort I backed up the data he wanted in (safe mode with networking)and as a last resort I used the restore DVD. I can get the system into the desktop but it still keeps rebooting it's self. Also, anytime trying to update the system using windows update or nortons AV update it starts the process then just reboots it's self automatically. Also, I tried not loading any updates and after 5 minutes or so at sitting at the desktop it just reboots it's self.

After another hour of trial and error, I tried again, a fresh clean install using the recovery DVDS and I am still having the exact same issue. Anyone have any ideas as what could be causing this issue?

After a clean install it still should not be doing this. Also, I checked the BIOS everything is set properly, made no changes in there. I am starting to think possibly a hardware issue espically after doing a clean install. Any ideas, tips, suggestions all help is greatly appreciated. PS; my client is going to be pissed and he needs his computer back to day. Help

HYBR|D
    Monitor the temps, ibet its overheating and trying to shutdown.

Make sure all the fans are clear of dust and are spinning correctly.

Monitor the temps, ibet its overheating and trying to shutdown.

Make sure all the fans are clear of dust and are spinning correctly.
    Monitor the temps in the BIOS? Reason I ask because I noticed his CPU usage maintained 100% in the task manager in safe mode. I am currently cleaning out all the dust from the computer system to see if this helps any. Because it his system does sound rather loud with the fans going that is. But again, even after a clean fresh install it is still doing the same issue. Do you think at this point it is a hardware issue or software? I talked to another guy he suggested to swap the memory around in the system but I am a little skeptical about doing that. Anyways, I am still cleaning out the system and fans about 5 to 10 minutes left. Thank you for the fast response I will definitely keep you posted.

HYBR|D
    Grab HardwareMonitor let that run while logged in.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

What happens if you boot from a liveCD?

We'll see how the temps go, then if the temps are holding a good temp then next step would to be remove everything, and plug the bare basics back in and trouble shoot from there.

After cleaning out the computer system of dust and everything else. I took the PC to geek squad where the guy argued with me about it being a power supply issue. He insisted that it was a faulty hard drive. I informed him we added one two months ago. He hooked up one of their power supply and it worked perfect did not crash.

I told him try my power supply that is already in the computer dam thing crashed as soon as it loaded into the desktop. This geek squad agent was arguing with me sir if it was the power supply your computer wouldn't even turn on! So he suggested to me to do a full diagnostics on the system for 69.00 bucks, and if in anything needs to be added, power supply, starts at 60 bucks plus, motherboards and up. What a rip off. I am and I will open my own computer shop these prices seem out rageous for fixing/repairing systems. Data backk up 249.00 install an OS 149.00. Back to issue at hand;

Also, I checked the temperature in the BIOS and the processor temperature was at 135F is that high for a processor temperature? If so, what should the average be? And this is after cleaning the PC free of dust and anything else in there. Zone 1 was 95F and and zone 2 93F (F=fahrenheit)
    Last edited by Computernerd22; September 26th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.

HYBR|D
    I'm not sure about Farenheit, we use Celcius over here in Ozz.

Anyhow i'm sure we'll be able to fix the issue ourselves and not spend ridiculous amounts of money

What is your power supply ratings? Ie what watt is it? 300w / 400w / 500w etc etc. I feel that the crashing is due to heat and it could be that your power supply is not up to powering everything in the system.

Have you checked to make sure everything is seated correctly on the motherboard? If your confident enough i would suggest removing the CPU, removing the goo from the chip and re-applying a fresh batch onto the CPU. Artic Silver CPU paste is good apparently??

Put the CPU back in re-apply the heatsink and reconnect the fan.

update

We went ahead and bought and installed a power supply 400watt (is what he previously had) got it for 25 bucks went home hooked up after a few minutes 5 or so the system did the same thing. This time however, it gave the error message at the splash screen stating the system shutdown due to a thermal event (overheating) have your system serviced for repair. I never seen this message before. My buddy is going to take the system to the shop and have the dude run a test on the motherboard.

I am starting to think if it could possibly be the motherboard? If not, the motherboard thenit is some piece of hardware in the system. The guy at best buy geek squad he thought it was bad sectors on the hard drive causing this issue. (lol)

You might need to look at the cooling system. Are the fans running? Is the heat sink properly seated? As stated above, you might need to reapply the thermal goop, and/or get a better heatsink/fan combo. 140 degrees F is about 60 degrees C. Depending on your processor, that might be too hot for it. I have seen BIOS settings that will cause a system to automatically shutdown/reboot when a certain temperature is reached.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

HYBR|D
    Any updates to the situation CN ?