Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M$ vs Firefox?

M$ vs Firefox?

Hi folks,

Sorry for my absence ...........it was either gastro-enteritis or gastric infuenza.............. I couldn't get to a computer.... and I am not sure of the size of the eye of the needle either

I just got a message from the M$ firewall that it didn't like FireFox????

Anyone else seen that?

Or has my mate Byte| got a job with M$

HYBR|D
    Has anything changed on the system recently Johnno? Updates / Configuration/s changed?

Just the regular ol' Windows firewall? Nu-uh...

Which version of Windows? I've only been on XP recently...

Mozilla seems to act like this is a common occurrence - they have a How To on their site for setting up the Windows firewall to allow connections by Firefox... wonder why I've never had trouble?

Anyway, hope you stay well... gastric anything never sounds pleasant...
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

M$ did a whole load of updates and the problem seems to have gone away?

There was no obvious (to me) reason.

I am using XP SP3 on this box.

gastric anything never sounds pleasant
    I can certainly second that motion (emotion?)

I guess I had better go and update wifey's XP SP3 machine?

I have not tried Vista or 7 yet............... any feedback there guys?

I can say that I have never had a problem with the MS firewall causing issues with Firefox. Anymore, I don't see MS as such a bad guy... They still register on my Evil Scale... but Apple has been overtaking them with some of their practices lately. I still prefer Linux. [lets see what kind of flame war that statement invokes.]
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Banned
    Apple is the worst. Steve jobs dresses like a James Bond villian for christ sakes. And to top it off, the devices themselves are put together by chinese toddlers in sweat shops.

I could buy a new car for the cost of their so called "computers". Documentation is some sort of trade secret to them. Infact, you pay them a few grand just for partial documentation. If someone actually bothers to write software on this stuff... the app-store alone takes 30% of your earnings. Ridiculous!

Spec:

You don't need Documentation, you just need an appointment to Step up to the Genius Bar

I was in getting a replacement iPhone for a client. (He needed the bigger GB's and the Y Fies).

Any this idiot kid was trying to sell some 80 + year old lady a Mac Book Pro with all the accessories, almost $4k. I ripped the guy a new one for trying to rip off someones grandma! Well I needed something to do while waiting for my appointment with the "Genius"

Actually I was very polite when suggesting to grand ma how she didn't need all that horsepower, when the sales idiot said. Sir, You just don't seem to understand today's technology.

My retort started with:

The only thing you know about technology is what Steve Jobs tells you.

It got worse, Manager intervened! All apple store employees egos got knocked down a notch or two.

I ****ing hate fruit hardware and software.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I ****ing hate fruit hardware and software.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?
    -- That is great. I hope you got your smug-vaccinations before you went in there.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dinowuff again.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Apple laptops are not so bad. A buddy of mine picked up 4 two-year-old MacBooks from a school his company was tearing down (destroyed in a tornado). When he got home, he called me to clean them up and reconfig 'em.

After I got to his house, I realized I'd need to take one with me and play with it as I'd never admin'ed a Mac beyond some basic networking. It was much easier to create a new root password than I thought it would be. He had no passwords.

Pulled it off the school's LDAP directory easy enough, then out with the Sophos AV. Installed a new AV (some freebie), uninstalled the old version of Firefox and reinstalling the current version. And deleted all the old users, creating a new one on each computer.

I was pleasantly surprised at how resilient OSX is. Doing what I did to a Windows laptop might well induce more Windows "rot", but these units didn't skip a beat. I kept the one for over a week before going back out and config'ing the other three, and I enjoyed it enough to try to talk the guy out of one of them (didn't work).

It was slower than my two-year-old Lenovo which has a comparable dual core Intel processor. But it only had half the RAM. And the (in)security of being able to so readily modify the root password was disconcerting, though I am grateful it made my job easier. And I missed the 2nd button on the touchpad (no right-click of course).

As for the rest of the Apple gadgets as well as the accompanying software, you can have it. I-tunes is crap. Sorry if this is out-of-scope, but I did mention Firefox, Nihil. ;^)
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

We don't have an Apple store here, so no Mac Weenies (I mean....Geniuses...) here. We do have Best Buy though, but they don't have Macs either. Actually come to think of it, NO store in this city, the one south of here, or the one north of here, even carries Apple stuff other than MP3 players and Phones.

I've helped Grandma's in Best Buy when the sales girl a few years ago couldn't answer her questions. Basically it was one of those little old ladies who didn't really know much about her computer other than she needed it to do things for her, so she was asking if Windows 2000 Professional at the time came with Outlook, Word, and so on, and the girl who was working the software department had no clue and said she "wasn't sure" so I went up and said no, she wanted Office, but if she only needed a mail client, or a Word app, she could buy them singly for half the price.

Sure they appreciated me doing that considering the girl was thinking she'd sell her Windows 2000, Office XP, and something else "just to be sure".