Sysprep will not complete
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sysprep will not complete

Exclamation Sysprep will not complete

I have a laptop that I have built for a customer. WinXPSP3, all updates are current, etc. I am trying to create a sysprepped version for deployment. I have an answer file set up. Everything is in order as I've done this numerous times. WEhen I run sysprep.exe, I check the mini setup box, do not reset activation (we are using the key in the answer file) and reseal. Evrything seems to go right. When the image is booted, it starts the mini setup and asks for the computer name. After entering the name, it goes through its little checklist and when it gets to "saving settings" and just before going to the window to join the domain, it reboots and starts over.

Any ideas??? I have confirmed that I am using the right version of sysprep and I can't find anything in the answer file that would cause a problem.

Bad HDD / Bad image
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Unhappy Still no luck...

Negative. The HDD is fine and the image works pre-sysprep. I also have 2 machines that are both doing it. I imaged the master before running sysprep and that image works fine. I can use both machines without issues until I try to sysprep for the rollout. I thought maybe it was an issue with NIC drivers since that is the spot where it would go next. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the drivers from HP's website without any change.

I've checked the bios for anything that seemed out of place - no joy.

I just don't know where to turn now...

Let's see.

Updates - no that's probably not it.
    NIC Cards - you said you chacked but are you teaming nic's?
    SERVICES... Are all the services starting correctly? Has a service password changed?

in case you haven't reviewed this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...15(WS.10).aspx

Since it reboots before asking to join the domain, I would go through the answer file with a fine tooth comb.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help

Unhappy

Yes, I have reviewed that doc and everything else I can find.

It seems to be rebooting after it does the "save settings". I can't tell if it is rebooting before the last step of "removing temporary files" or afterwards before it flips to the Domain screen, but it is definitely there somewhere.

I have been through the answer file with that fine tooth comb and even resorted to rebuilding it from scratch with the setupmgr without edits but still end up with the same results.

The frustrating thing is that nobody I can find has ever had an issue like this. The only thing I could find related to changes that were made to the file that caused it to not work.

Don't know what I'm going to do.......... maybe ??

If you think of something - ANYTHING - please post it, no matter how trivial it might seem....

Thanks!

Polrbear:

From what you have posted, I am really leaning to some strange hardware issue.

I once did an upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000. The thing would error out, bug out, and just randomly feck off! Turns out the DVD drive (hardware) was bad.

Can you get the original XP media and install manually on a target laptop?

That's how I started. I started with the Factory restore CD for XP (the systems come with win7 installed). IT was a clean image.

The only reason I don't believe its a flaky hw issue is because I have 2 machines side by side and both are doing it. I have sysprepped both individually and both have the problem. If it were hw, they would both have to have the same piece of flaky hardware....

I leaning towards a driver issue, just don't know which one or even how to find it.

AOs Resident Troll
    ...I have had problems with XP updates knocking out drivers on various machines.......... where I needed to reinstall the driver or get an updated one after the application of the SP and\or XP Updates

I would look at the video and NIC drivers as they are core components

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I did try to reinstall the NIC but not the video. I'll give that a try, but device manager is showing they are fine.

Polrbear:

This is my thinking. If you take the factory restore CD and manually install it on one of the target laptops, you might get more information on when, and more importantly, why the install fails.

Please tell me you are not using a DELL restore CD.