Thread: Promise PDC20319 SATA RAID Controller (FastTrak S150 TX4) Lost details

Promise PDC20319 SATA RAID Controller (FastTrak S150 TX4) Lost details

Hi Peeps

One of the production machines has recently developed a problem with the raid array. Crtical errors appear on launch the array until at BIOS\CMOS level won't go into details. My colleague has suggested I check the Windows Utility now here is way it goes down hill.

Our Supplier who I would fine have lost he information of the array they installed it and configured the password and didn't give any information to the I.T. Department. The installer of the device left the company and didn't document any of this information. Highly unprofessional I know.

I know the username should be Administrator however does anyone know what the default password should be? If any or can I reset this information.

Thanks in advance.
    ZL

Went back to basics took each drive out in turn to see which one didn't boot. Hey presto the second disk drive was faulty. Thanks to the idiots at my suppliers I will have to rebulid the array and reinstall Windows simply because they couldn't be bother or unwilling to document the passwords. I could swear but I won't the medication helps and it's the weekend lol
    Last edited by Zorolord; October 22nd, 2010 at 04:01 PM.

Hi there Foxy (zoro?)

I agree it seems unprofessional, but some stuff requires you to set a password. You know the user/customer is going to change it so you keep it simple:
    Administrator/administrator
    User/user
    Customer/customer
    Password/password

Everywhere I have worked there has been a policy as to what a default password should be set to, then it doesn't matter if you get run over by a short bus

These days I write the default password on a slip of paper and tape it to the device before delivery. I tend to use the machine's serial number as that is usually reasonably long and difficult to guess; it would also require a brute force rather than a dictionary attack. It also gives the customer better protection if they can't be bothered to change the password.

You might like to try those, and possibly the installer's name?

Good luck and keep taking the "medication" ......

Couldn't get on all weekend using Sky at home don't know if they have blocked this site. Hell the Germans let me on so why not SKY.

I appreciate the fact systems need password protection. Still should have been documented though :S I haven't tried administrator combination. But I tried administrator\password & administrator\*blank*.

Nice one Nihil I never thought of that Keeps it's simple for location machine obviously not good idea on a personal machine though ha ha.

Thanks will just PM you if that sorts it rather then waste postage space.

Tried some Guinness at the weekend it made me ill

Slim chance but......................

Did the installer leave your supplier on good terms? If he did, do they know how to contact him?

In all probability he would use the same default for all machines he installed?

Worth a try perhaps, as I cannot see someone setting unique defaults for each machine they work on and not documenting them?

Yes, Guinness is very much an acquired taste, and it needs carefully looking after, or it will make you unwell.

It was our wedding anniversary yesterday, so we went out for a meal. I had a pint of "Kipling Pacific India Pale Ale": pretty obvious where the Pacific came from, as it was definitely made with New Zealand hops. At 5.2% ABV it certainly hit the spot. Credit to the brewers as it is hard to make a decent IPA that strong.......4.3% ABV would be more typical.

I followed it up with a pint of Milestone Brewery's "Harry Potter"............they didn't say, but the style was definitely strong dark mild........it was 5.2% ABV as well, but it is relatively easy to brew to that strength with dark milds and porters.