Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use of contract worker

AOs Resident Troll
    oh yes they will understand the money part..

This project was beyond me...so I suggested contacting the local college and seeing if they had someone that would be good for the project...

Enter cocky young contractor....I know everything attitude.....

Personally I doubt he would last long in a corporate environment...he has no personal skills...blames everyone and everything else for failure....and underestimates his co workers

Yes he did a good job writting the requested interface.....but lacks the other skills that will keep him his job....when questioned about the additional network traffic...he sloughed it off..... maybe our devices have a bug and his attitude and disregard for our concerns tweaked my spidy sense ...so i stated to look further into it.

The other people working with him directly have also voiced complaints on his attitude as I suggested using him on another project which is delayed where he could write a similar application......

So we have a cocky kid...close to finished said project coming in and playing network games, using P2P software and extending his time here doing nothing....

and as far as I know without a contract, AUP or documentation.

I come from a corporate environment....and have worked for local governments......I now live in a small town and work for a family business.....

I am now going home to .....and dream of the day the kids are done school and I can leave this fookin place

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

and as far as I know without a contract, AUP or documentation.
    Well, no contract = no obligation to pay?

"Now look son, we are now in what we professionals call the 'retention period' you get no further progress payments until the job is completed and the documentation is on my desk, then we pay you the 'retention amount' or residual balance "

BTW, you have been declaring this income to the revenue haven't you?

Last I heard from my lot was an envelope with a compliments slip and a Customs and Revenue mouse mat..................

blames everyone and everything else for failure
    Reminds me of when a managing director asked me who was responsible for a particular balls-up........... I said "me".............. he said " it couldn't have been you were on holiday in Spain" ............ he had already asked my boss who had claimed responsibility himself although he was in America at the time.

I pointed out that we were the two senior IT managers and if we left the shop in the hands of someone who couldn't handle it then it was our responsibility. That went down extremely well as it happened. I am afraid that I do not like blame cultures, as I consider them totally counter-productive.

I come from a corporate environment....and have worked for local governments......I now live in a small town and work for a family business.....
    Similar story.............34 years in London and thereabouts with corporates, central government and WMD; now in a seaside town of 32,000. I work for myself now, mostly supporting small businesses and installing turnkey systems, although I do get some local government work (political connections) and private repair, upgrade and build requests. The beauty of it is I have no competitors for 17 miles (well, they won't find the bodies anyways)

moi aussi

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    I am now going home to .....and dream of the day the kids are done school and I can leave this fookin place

MLF
    MLF I have no idea how hard it is for you to get a job in the U.S. When we shut down our Toronto Facility we brought over two Canadians and there didn't seem to be any problems.

So when the girls get out of school, call me - I'll hire you in an instant.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

AOs Resident Troll
    Nihil....the powers that be dont see it that way...they just want the new product out no matter what...and are notorious for not getting the proper documentation in place. This isnt the first time....I am only trying to cover their asses...because I am the one that usually has to clean up the mess.

Thanks Dino...you flatter me.

I am definitely reaching burnout point....more frustration with the current environment I work in......

Will keep that in mind

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; October 18th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

It's not flattery, consider it more of begging. Really. The last two times I tried to hire a network administrator, either the resumes had LOL typed in somewhere or the applicants couldn't explain sub-netting.

Everyone and their brother is M$ certified and if it isn't windows server 2008 or at least have wizards, they don't know how to use it.

On applicant explained to me that there was no need for a CISCO firewall because windows server had a firewall built in.

The worst part is all applicants now days believe that customer service is their #1 priority.

Really? They realize there customers are end users and they sincerely believe that the customer is always right.

I fear we are raising a generation of Super Users and Bitches and Bastards like us are a dying breed.

Sorry about the RANT, The server room on the North end of the building got to 100 degrees early Sunday morning and I've been dealing with that.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

The worst part is all applicants now days believe that customer service is their #1 priority.
    So do I, and so do you! the main difference is that you and I would only consider it to be such if it were part of an existing Service Level Agreement (SLA) After all, it is by providing customer service (in its broadest sense) that we earn our money; but we do need to have rules of engagement?

I come from a development and project management background, and insist on terms of reference, a user requirements specification and a project plan. All of which have to be signed off by senior user management. If you don't insist on that you are wide open to what we call "scope creep"

They realize there customers are end users and they sincerely believe that the customer is always right.
    But they don't realise that the degree of customer correctness is directly proportionate to the number of used twenties ($20) in the "brown envelope"?

and Bitches and Bastards like us are a dying breed.
    Hey Dino, can't you spell "professional" because that is what it really boils down to.