dcsimg
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Linux desktop OS a no go

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wiskic10_4 View Post
    I just want to plug something in and have it work without having to find a driver
    Are you kidding me?

Portable USB devices I can understand but manufacturers are so de'facto standard these days... shouldn't it atleast support hardware better than this?

For the most part, I use Linux exclusively, but it is these little things that force me to continue dual booting.
    Why bother then? Hell, just get a windows compile of what little software you use on it and leave the OS behind. I've got install disks on my shelf that are probably twelve years old now that I haven't touched once.

Spec -

It's been my experience that Linux (Slackware 13.0 at least - I haven't used many other distros) recognizes most devices and is PnP capable - mice, USB storage drives, etc...

I've only had a little trouble using a couple of cheap USB Wireless adapters, which took a little work.

However, if you want to run a desktop server for filesharing and site hosting like I do, you can't beat Linux for what it has right out of the box.

As far as using Linux as a desktop, well, I'm not sure why I ever did other than to learn a new OS... however, as Microsoft gets better at protecting their OSes from piracy, a free OS that can do everything Windows can do (and much more, except for maybe high-end gaming) doesn't sound half bad... even if you have to work at it a little to get it set up for maximum ease of use.

Just my thoughts...
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Banned
    Why would anyone install an entire OS just for Apache and PHP?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec
    Why would anyone install an entire OS just for Apache and PHP?
    And ssh/sftp, MySQL, iptables. I also make use of cron to do scheduled backups, etc and I can write my own shell scripts to check my logs. Out of the box, Linux is the superior OS for a personal server. Works nicely as a desktop for most basic computer use too - surfing and office work...

Banned
    I'd just use xampp. You couldn't get any more touch and go than that... even if it came preinstalled with those home edition versions of Windows.
    Last edited by The-Spec; October 31st, 2010 at 04:31 PM.

It's funny to think of you of all people being a Windows Fan lol. I mean it's one thing to like Windows, it's another to think Linux is just flat out stupid. It, like most OSs, has it's uses. Although I do have to admit, I've yet to find a better use for VMS than when running out of TP.

The Manuals don't have staples in them, so you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting an artery and ass bleeding to death lol.

@gore,

It's funny to think of you of all people being a Windows Fan lol.
    Not really in IMO, all the freetards that use Linux expect support to be free......... people who have paid for Windows are more amenable to the idea that they are going to have to pay for your services.

Most of the people on this site earn their livings from Windows, apart from those administrating servers. You go where the money is kid! trust me

How come nobody has mentioned "Lindows", later to be called "Linspire", before the scumbags and sh1te hawks bought it up, and killed it because it was just too damn dangerous. It had a huge repository of applications ............. I must dig out all my stuff and install it on a refurb machine .............I have no idea what the underlying distro was?

Linux fanbois had better get used to the real World ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and the fact that:

1. They are too fragmented with all their little "pet" distros.
    2. They do not have any real funding, or means of getting it.
    3. Only nerds and geeks want a command line .............. the rest just want it to work like it says on the tin?

Best attempts I have seen so far, are from Cuba (huge government support) and Argentina (revolutionary movement) the Cuban one is based on Gentoo (yeah, I thought that was a weird choice, given that it is not the easiest of distros?). The Argentinian one is Debian 5, and rather slick .............. the wallpaper is Che Guevara

I am still looking at Moon OS (Cambodia?) as it does seem to be a rationalisation of UBUNTU (which I never liked because all the screens seem to be dog turd coloured ?)

The Chinese stuff is pathetic ............. take my word for it. All they are is translations of very old versions of regular distros.......... a bit like SuSE started out?

And whilst I am ranting................ why won't Linux support my very expensive HP Vectra with a 286? ..... Winders does? .................although the Norton product is far better "Disk Commander" or whatever? before they started pimping bloated home security packages?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    But I bought a Slackware t-shirt for $30!!!

Meh... it's like my Ma says - "it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't"... Serves my purposes well, and I will probably be a "freetard Slackware fanboi" until I find something that better serves my needs.

Will it ever become a desktop standard? Probably not... but, as I said before, as MS gets better at protecting their OSes from piracy, a freeware OS doesn't sound half bad to some users... and, once a tech (like myself) sets up a Linux box with KDE, XFCE or whatever, slaps Wine on there to run MS Office and puts the "purty little icons" on the desktop, I'm not sure how much more support would be needed for an average home user who uses the computer for little more than getting online and balancing their checkbook...

So long as they're behind a router, there's no real need to update anything but the browser, and Firefox will do that all by itself... very little threat of malware or viruses on a Linux box... no real need to defrag - no need for registry-cleanup...

Know what I'm sayin'?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    @gore,

Not really in IMO, all the freetards that use Linux expect support to be free......... people who have paid for Windows are more amenable to the idea that they are going to have to pay for your services.
    I have to be Honest here Nihil; I've never seen anyone, regardless of the OS they used, or the software style of development they liked, expect someone to do work on a machine for free.

I sure as hell don't. I'm not super expensive and can sometimes trade services on a Computer for "other" **** I want, but it's not free unless I say so lol.

Most of the people on this site earn their livings from Windows, apart from those administrating servers. You go where the money is kid! trust me
    Sometimes I think you can earn a living on Windows simply because older version a lot of companies still have are just such crap you NEED someone there to watch it. Lol, I'll probably have some **** for that comment, but it's a joke.

How come nobody has mentioned "Lindows", later to be called "Linspire", before the scumbags and sh1te hawks bought it up, and killed it because it was just too damn dangerous. It had a huge repository of applications ............. I must dig out all my stuff and install it on a refurb machine .............I have no idea what the underlying distro was?
    I remember that, lol. I think it went to crap when Microsoft started getting mad that it sounded to much like Windows. I don't remember what distro it was based on, but I'm sure google knows... Actually I may look into that, I'm now curious....And being that it's almost 11 AM and I still haven't slept, might as well lol.

Linux fanbois had better get used to the real World
    Linux Fanbois, are no different than the Windows or Star Trek or Star Wars Fanbois. Fanbois in general, seem to be annoying.

($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and the fact that:

1. They are too fragmented with all their little "pet" distros.
    3. Only nerds and geeks want a command line .............. the rest just want it to work like it says on the tin?
    The whole idea if 5,000 distros, is cool from a nerd perspective. And terrifying from the average user's point of view. However, it IS hard to get one's head THAT far up my... You know lol.

Best attempts I have seen so far, are from Cuba (huge government support) and Argentina (revolutionary movement) the Cuban one is based on Gentoo (yeah, I thought that was a weird choice, given that it is not the easiest of distros?). The Argentinian one is Debian 5, and rather slick .............. the wallpaper is Che Guevara

I am still looking at Moon OS (Cambodia?) as it does seem to be a rationalisation of UBUNTU (which I never liked because all the screens seem to be dog turd coloured ?)
    I see my recommendation for you to try MoonOS went well then? I still remember when I found that one.

I was pretty shocked to see someone take something awful like Ubuntu, and make it look good.

The Chinese stuff is pathetic ............. take my word for it. All they are is translations of very old versions of regular distros.......... a bit like SuSE started out?
    SuSE started out actually as a support / Tech company in general, and they did a German Translation of Slackware Linux. Once Slackware Linux translations were finished, they started adding things, such as YaST and YAST2, and a bunch of other stuff.

Basically they started out with a German version of Slackware, and ended up doing their own product. The first version, by the way, 4.2, was not 1.0 because they wanted 4.2, as in "42"....You know.... The answer to... Ah you know what I mean, you're British

And whilst I am ranting................ why won't Linux support my very expensive HP Vectra with a 286?
    Because Linus only had a 386

..... Winders does? .................
    It does??

although the Norton product is far better "Disk Commander" or whatever? before they started pimping bloated home security packages?
    Hahahahahahahahaha! MAN they get on my nerves. I'm pretty sure you know how it is to have to clean up crap left by that son of a bitch. I hate having to deal with that. Resource whore isn't even close to what they do lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I bought a Slackware t-shirt for $30!!!
    I have a Slackware Tee too. It's pretty worn down from a lot of use. I love it lol. I actually shoudl be getting a new one soon. I bought it when I bought my Slackware Mouse Pad, Slackware Case Pins, and like 3 Slackware Buttons. I also got the books they offer and the version of Slackware on CD that was out at the time.

I ordered it with another order from FreeBSDMall, and oddly enough the stuff all came in the same box lol.

Meh... it's like my Ma says - "it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't"... Serves my purposes well, and I will probably be a "freetard Slackware fanboi" until I find something that better serves my needs.
    Ah quit being like that. Even BSD people respect Slackware. Believe me, you could do a lot worse. And not just from the Windows arena, which shouldn't be a server in the first place. Wasn't meant to be, wasn't designed to be. The Internet was designed on and for Unix, Windows NT, was partially designed by a VMS **** head. Hehe.

Will it ever become a desktop standard? Probably not... but, as I said before, as MS gets better at protecting their OSes from piracy, a freeware OS doesn't sound half bad to some users... and, once a tech (like myself) sets up a Linux box with KDE, XFCE or whatever, slaps Wine on there to run MS Office and puts the "purty little icons" on the desktop, I'm not sure how much more support would be needed for an average home user who uses the computer for little more than getting online and balancing their checkbook...
    I do this a lot. My Cousin is a Firefighter, and a dribbling moron when you stick a keyboard in his hands. A few years ago, he bought a BRAND NEW Computer. I'm not kidding; In 5 days, he had that thing so screwed up it should have been burned.

He finally brought it over to me, and I hooked it up, scanned it for Viruses and the like, and, no BS, 7 Trojans, 12,000 Viruses, and ... I think 1500 pieces of spyware.

I was shocked. I'd never seen anything like it in my life. Especially THAT scale. And especially in THAT amount of time. The worst part was that I set the damn thing up for him and had auto-update set for EVERYTHING knowing how he was with a Computer.

I got so tired of cleaning up after this (And, I might add, I flat out told him I was charging him extra for a stupidity tax) that I ended up installing Linux on the machine, putting a Firefox Icon, a Gaim / Pidgin Icon, and an XMMS Icon on his desktop, and not giving him the root password.

Problem solved.

So long as they're behind a router, there's no real need to update anything but the browser, and Firefox will do that all by itself... very little threat of malware or viruses on a Linux box... no real need to defrag - no need for registry-cleanup...

Know what I'm sayin'?
    Yup =)

Banned
    The reason there aren't alot of viruses is because people use a fifteen year old script that... to this day is currently being installed on these machines. Security wise, there are more kernel flaws floating around than the ocean has water. And I couldn't count the failed packages after the fact.

http://www.zone-h.org/mirror/id/11955998

And just when you think things are finally fixed... I end up doing it agian.