Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Nasty Little Email - Norton360 - Is it Crap?

Quote Originally Posted by wiskic10_4 View Post
    That's a practice known in the Texas oilfield as "dickin' the dog"!!!

[edit]evidently, in many other places too - just did a quick Google search... I thought I was the only one that ever said that... XD[/edit]
    Erm... I shudder to think of what kind of results you got with that search query. You are a brave man. [Or sick... ]
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Can't say I'm much on "dickin' the dog". That chit comes back to haunt you.

I will admit I'm a sucker for "Chicago rate" though. ;^)
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Best I ever did was £3,000 for two days. I only spent 2 hours actually at work but I was on call for 48 hours................no-one phoned

"God bless the millennium bug, and all who profit by her!"

As we had around 1500 PCs on site we got in outside contractors to test them (our staff were too busy checking applications, network stuff etc.) I saw this Compaq 486 with a red "fail" sticker on it, so I commandeered it. "OK for playing DOS games on; PCs didn't have clocks back then" says I, innocently

One 2032 battery later and I had a perfectly good computer with monitor, keyboard and mouse!

Welp.

I'd love to meet this guy.

Heh... and his honeypot.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I'd love to meet this guy.
    Heh... and his honeypot.
    I would love to meet the guy who deals for him.............it is obviously top quality stuff?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The truth of the matter is all AV products are useless these days. The better question is, which one eats the least amount of resoruces while being useless, so that you can "stop stupid". Really, that's all that it does anymore.

Norton is on top of the list for worst offender of eating resources while doing less than nothing.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown View Post
    that guy probly works for geek squad. can you believe best buys prices?

I dont know about this guy, but I like to research all my av/am/ any program before I install it on my, let alone a clients machine. I think, at the least, that would qualify some one to service a computer.

Hey but at least I've caught wind of his game. Prescribe norton for all their av needs, have them come back in a week complaining about slowdownds and charge for a tune up. That way he can not only make money off the initial av job, but now a tune up.
    i got my hands on the geek squad repair manual half way down the first page i was shaking my head and laughing ,its laughable , they pay these guys minimum wage so they don't have to hire competent computer techs at 20 dollars an hour ,i cant count the times ive had to undo mistakes there techs have done ,

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    So what if Norton uses up system resources. Stop being a bunch pf pansies.

Here's what I did.

Added 100 module slots,
    Installed 800GB of RAM,
    And bolted a 250cc, 600MPH leaf blower to the motherboard to keep it cool. Done.

Handcuff yourself to the desk so you don't get launched out the living room window when it first boots and you're good to go.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

i'd like to report something to your attention guys:
    at work, we have 2 AV: symantec and kaspesky: (both entreprise edition)

few weeks ago, there is a worm spreading on the network, it just puts a (.BMP) everywhere. it just keeps copying.
    well let me tell you what did kaspersky and symantec

symantec:ended by getting disabled and the process is even killed after windows strats
    kaspersky: keeps running but doesn't say that the file is actually a worm and file keeps getting copied
    i had to kill and delete most the copies by hand on many machines (maybe if it comes again i'll make a .bat or an AutoIt script to delete it)

my point here is that symantec got disabled while kaspesky kept working.

PS:the fact that symantec eats up ressources is well known but the computer of the company are not recent so i can't tell about slowing performance or not. but from my personal exprience: symantec is really heavy on loading and working.
    regards ^^
    Toka Koka: To receive a reward, an equivalent sacrifice has to be made!

Hi neozoon,

Sorry to have to say this but:

symantec:ended by getting disabled and the process is even killed after windows strats
    kaspersky: keeps running but doesn't say that the file is actually a worm and file keeps getting copied
    i had to kill and delete most the copies by hand on many machines
    I am afraid that all that tells me is that NEITHER product did their job, which is to protect you? You ended up doing it manually?

To be perfectly honest, I doubt if any of the other products on the market would have fared much better. Research indicates that the best of them will only detect about 40% of new or well obfuscated malware

As for Norton/Symantec, I have their free security assessment tool running alongside McAfee's equivalent. McAfee detects no problems.........but Norton says that a 10+ year old space shooter game is a security risk and that I should buy Norton 360 or somesuch. It is a single user desktop game, and will only run if I deliberately launch it.............Norton does not recognise it, so it must be bad? That is tantamount to scareware to me!!!

Incidentally, were you warned that Norton had ceased to function? Didn't Windows squeal that your AV wasn't working? In a way that might not be too bad if you were warned........at least that tells you something is going on.