Thread: Noisy HDD

Noisy HDD

This is the information about my PC:

Dell
    Studio XPS 435T
    Windows 7 professional
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz

It has like two HDDs so that it automatically copies the data from one of them to the other one for the case of something happens...

Anyways the only noise I hear from the case is from HDD like it's a kind of scratchy noise as the HDD rotates...(It's definitely from HDD not any other fan)

Ever since I connected the second HDD the noise has become more. So I was wondering if you guys have any suggestion for me to reduce it. I opened the case but I couldn't figure out anything to do because the HDD has warranty and there is a label on it. An IT guy in charge of my system told me it's natural and I need music since my office is really quite

Thanks

PS. How can I tell it to only copy the data after I shut down the computer since my suspicion is that it is copying the data automatically...Not sure though

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    The noise may indeed be "natural." I recently built a new desktop and was horrified by noise level. The noise naturally increased when you added the second drive and started "mirroring", the drives are being utilized more.

Run an occasional "scandisk" to see if there's any bad sectors. Anybody know of some good background diagnostics that can be run?
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hiren's boot CD has become an invaluable tool in my kit. It has several HDD tools. [Along with many other goodies]
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hi,

What is the make and model of HDD? If you look on the manufacturer's website and find the technical specifications, it should have a noise emission value in decibels. Some drives are noisier than others, and faster ones tend to be noisier than slower ones.

It probably is "normal" for those drives, as the volume has increased with the addition of a second drive?

I am not sure how it has been done, but given that most modern desktop motherboards support RAID1 arrays, that would be the way I would go. In that case the mirroring is simultaneous.

If, on the other hand, it is some other software (that I have never heard of), then it probably uses "journalling" and writes data amendments to the backup disk at pre-defined intervals. In other words, it stores "transactions" that have taken place since the last transfer, and writes them to the second drive.

PS. How can I tell it to only copy the data after I shut down the computer since my suspicion is that it is copying the data automatically...Not sure though
    If it is a RAID array you cannot, as they all work simultaneously.

If it is other software then you might be able to set the interval, but probably not an absolute time value. What you seem to be thinking of is more like the functionality of traditional backup applications, where you schedule a time or times for the job to run. Typically lunchtime and after work.

If you tell me what the application you are using is, I will look into it for you, as it would be of interest to me. That is, if it is not just a RAID array or something doing traditional backups over a short timespan. I do not think that it is a traditional backup application, however, as they usually want a dedicated system so you wouldn't be able to continue working.

To reduce the noise you want a sheet of thin Sorbo rubber. Cut it and glue it to the insides of the case, taking care not to obstruct the ventilation holes.

Now, where I live, I would have difficulty in getting Sorbo rubber, so I would go to one of the home improvement stores and get a pack of those thin cork tiles. Both are very good at absorbing noise.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hi,

What is the make and model of HDD? If you look on the manufacturer's website and find the technical specifications, it should have a noise emission value in decibels. Some drives are noisier than others, and faster ones tend to be noisier than slower ones.

To reduce the noise you want a sheet of thin Sorbo rubber. Cut it and glue it to the insides of the case, taking care not to obstruct the ventilation holes.
    Thanks people...I guess this is the information you asked Nihil

RAID 1 W/ 2X1TB HAD DRIVES (MIR

So apparently it's natural as you said...but the idea of using Sorbo rubber sounds interesting...I will try to find some in HomeDepo as it seems to be the place where such stuff can be found...

Thanks

PS. I figured putting the case under the table away from me so I guess the noise is reduced to somehow
    Last edited by boyboy400; November 3rd, 2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I figured it out...

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Is this sorbo rubber available world wide, been hunting for it
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

//off topic:

Out of town for a few days...........no internet (not that I would have had time!!!) I am OK, my allergy has gone, now I stopped eating the stuff

//

"Sorbo" rubber used to be used for baseball/tennis/cricket sized rubber balls, it is "microcellular", so you can get a realistic weight (5.75 oz ) for size ratio.

Nowadays, I would go to a company that does car stereo sound systems or high performance conversions on motor cars.

Alternative products are the thin cork tiles (bathroom floor?) or thin extruded polystyrene (lining wallpaper).

Sorry mate, but we have different weather over here in the UK

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Not to be negative, but I thought I would explore the possibility of there being a problem rather than a normal sound/function.

The raid could be rebuilding itself if there is a problem with one of the drives, or even the controller hence more utilisation.

The mirror you explained is for redundancy - if one drive fails you can still boot your computer with the good drive and even take it out of the raid if you do not want to replace a faulty drive. Typically if you break the raid and later try to rebuild it will wipe all disks (initialise) - but not always.

If one disk is failing, running tools will help identify it but you may need to disconnect one drive and run the tools and then swap the HDDs over and run the tool again. Some HDD diagnostics will not be able to distinguish between disks in a RAID.

Alternatively, and indexing service will increase disk access. And one other thought is that the noise may be coming from the case's cage holding the drive - I always liked the cages that had rubber washers between the drive and cage absorbing some vibration. I have seem some really cheap white-box cases can generate their own noise.

.... I am sure things are fine, after all your data is protected with the mirror but I would certainly investigate the idea of a faulty mirror/drive.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein