Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build a computer help!

Hybrid View

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Build a computer help!

I am making a custom computer. The motherboard I purchased is ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM
    I bought one stick of DDR2 1GB & one stick of DDR2 2GB. I have a Seagate 160 GB hard drive. Video card 512 MB EAH 4350 SILENT. Basic Optical drive and a Intel Pentium Processor E5400 OR LGA 775. I went ahead and assembled the computer.
    First thing I did was install basically everything to the motherboard first. Then I used the motherboard push pins to mount the motherboard then I screwed it to the chassis.
    I hooked up everything correctly or so I thought. I think I need help with the power supply wiring it to the system, optical drives etc… For example, I have a black IDE cable one end inserted into the motherboard and now the back of the Seagate Hard drive does not have a IDE cable connector. Also, I installed the process or without using any of this Freeze thermal glue (I wasn’t sure if it was necessary) if so, let me know. I turned on the system and I seen ASUS splash screen then it gave an error and said the system will shutdown in 15 seconds. I tried to write down the error code but know I cannot even get an image on the screen. All help is greatly appreciated. Later, ps; if you need pictures just let me know.

Hi CN22,

I am moving this thread to "Hardware" as that is where we usually put computer build and computer components items. You will possibly get a better response from our hardware gurus with it here.

EDIT:

OK that's done, now to the subject.

1. Shutdown.

This is most likely because the processor is overheating and the system is shutting down to protect it. You MUST use thermal paste if your heatsink does not have a thermal pad. If it does have a thermal pad, please remember to peel off the protective plastic sheet before installing it.

2. Power Supply

This should not be a problem. There is one long plug that plugs into the motherboard. There is only one slot that it fits and one way to insert it.

Now, you are building Intel, and I haven't done that for nearly 10 years, but there may be another uniquely shaped plug coming out of the PSU which has a matching socket on the MoBo? I think that this powers the CPU. The other connectors are 4 pin Molex, which have a unique shape so you cannot fit them incorrectly without a large hammer

These power your optical drives and hard drives.

There may also be one or two small, flat, white 4-pin connectors? these are to power your 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives.

As you are getting it to shut down on you, I guess you must have gotten the PSU connections right? There may be one or two apparently "spare" plugs coming out of the PSU................. not sure, but they may be for RAID and/or SCSI controllers? Just cable tie them out of the way.

3. Hard Drive

I have a black IDE cable one end inserted into the motherboard and now the back of the Seagate Hard drive does not have a IDE cable connector.
    That is because it is a SATA drive not PATA (IDE) The motherboard had better support SATA, or you will need another drive! I think it will, as PATA are becoming rarer and rarer these days. I have laid in my stockpile

All the SATA connectors I have seen are black. The data link has two wires (transparent red sleeving) and the power has the traditional red, black, black, yellow wires.

The connectors to the HDD and Mobo are "L" shaped and have an idiot proof configuration like this: ¬

The data plug is 0.5" and the power one 9/10ths of an inch...... so you would need a very big hammer....... You should find something on the MoBo and from the PSU to match

Chill out man; unless you have a better set of hammers than me, you cannot get it wrong

Let us know if you have any more problems. And tell me the model number of the Seagate drive...... I just picked up a "strategic reserve" of two 160GB barracudas (IDE/PATA).............shame we live so far apart, or I would have swapped you one.

Cheers, and have a good weekend!
    Last edited by nihil; October 30th, 2010 at 02:44 AM.

The power supply already came installed into the case. I have wires that says: PLED (+) PLED (-) RESET BLUE AND WHITE CABLE, and about 4 other cables that come from the case it's self (power button) also when I push the power button in the computer will not shut off. I have to flip the little switch in the back to turn it off. However, now I cannot even get any screen to come up. Maybe if I took pictures of the wires maybe it would help. Thanks gor the replies guys. PS; I will have to double check on the processor since I didn't use any thermal paste. Also, from the back of the cdrom drive it has a SATA connection but on the motherboard there is a place for like for of them. I have the main hdd in the first one and the optical drive in sata 2

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by Computernerd22 View Post
    The power supply already came installed into the case. I have wires that says: PLED (+) PLED (-) RESET BLUE AND WHITE CABLE, and about 4 other cables that come from the case it's self (power button)
    Open the motherboard booklet and it should have a diagram that will tell you were each wire goes into & which way they face.
    also when I push the power button in the computer will not shut off. I have to flip the little switch in the back to turn it off. However, now I cannot even get any screen to come up. Maybe if I took pictures of the wires maybe it would help. Thanks gor the replies guys. PS; I will have to double check on the processor since I didn't use any thermal paste.
    Remove the heatsink covering the CPU and apply a small amount of thermal paste then re-apply the heatsink.
    Also, from the back of the cdrom drive it has a SATA connection but on the motherboard there is a place for like for of them. I have the main hdd in the first one and the optical drive in sata 2
    There are 4 sata ports on the motherboard? Connect the devices, then open up the BIOS and change the boot order and detection to suit as needed, the mother board booklet will have clearer info.

The power button issue will resolve once you have connected the little wires onto the correct pin, you obviously have them connected onto the wrong pins.

I have wires that says: PLED (+) PLED (-) RESET BLUE AND WHITE CABLE
    The first two operate the lights (LEDs) for the main power switch which should glow one colour for standby and another for power on.

The "reset" operates the smaller reset button on the front of the box. This is sometimes called the "hot reboot" or "restart" button. In the Windows shutdown menu, these are the equivalent of the red and green buttons, although these are physically controlling the power supply rather than programatically controlling the OS.

Go into your BIOS and look at the power management options. Disable all the crap relating to "snooze", "standby", "hibernate" or whatever.......it will only bring you grief in the long run, and on a desktop machine is about as useful as **** on a boar I think that we are all old enough to know how to switch a computer off when we are not using it?

You may also find options for what happens when you press the main power button (set this to on/off, "turn the machine off" or whatever they call it) The other button should be set to "restart"

Now all you have to do is get the little connectors attached to the right pins on the MoBo, and THE RIGHT WAY ROUND! If something isn't working, try it facing the other way.....in my experience they will all have the writing facing the same way, depending on the particular MoBo.

I have the main hdd in the first one and the optical drive in sata 2
    Try it in #3 or #4

Does your floptical drive only have a SATA connection?

To get power to the HDD from the PSU, you may need MOLEX to SATA connection cable. Over here these cost £0.70, they will be cheaper in the USA.

CPU:

The heatsink should have come with a cardboard or thick paper template which you align to the heatsink base and apply the paste in an even, thin, coating. Otherwise just coat all of it

Apply about as much as 0.5 of a grain of shortgrain rice (stuff you make puddings with) evenly to the top of the processor(s) chips which should stand up slightly from the body of the processor unit. Then reassemble and you should be good to go.

REMEMBER you can have too much thermal paste as well as too little!

Make sure the CPU fan is spinning...........it usually is a 3 or 4 pin connection on the MoBo. I think you have gotten this right already, as your system seems to be shutting down due to processor overheating?

Yes if you are sill having problems, some pictures might be useful.

Good Luck!

I don't think that the PCIe v1 and v2 is an issue, as they are supposed to be backwards compatible and both the MoBo and video card are Asus products. Anyway you should have removed the video card and be using the onboard chipset for troubleshooting.
    Agreed, but as you said, supposed to
    At this point nothing should be left to chance.

BTW, if the memory was not on the manufacturer's list, it may still work as long as they are the proper type ( unbuffered non-ECC DDR2?) But the modules may not work together even if they are both good! Another reason I said use just one chip.

Just waiting for CN22 to get back to us now on how he made out.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I am talking an A+ class 1 hardware (my weaker areas) and for the final project we have to assemble the PC from a kit. Meaning, I recieved two boxes, one for the case which is a Super Case TX 381, motherboard we are using is a P5G41-MLE/CSM also this unit came with 2gb of ram and one extra stick of 1 gb of ram DDR2 for a total of 3GB total. Video Card is a EAH 4350 Silent 512mb it says on box and for the processor dual core desktop intel pentium processor E5400 LGGA 775.

I installed mostly everything on the motherboard before installing the mobo to the case. Like I said before, I was able to see the blue ASUS screen then a message came up saying the system will shutdown in 15 seconds. I tried to write the error message down but no luck. I tried to get the message or any image to come back up it's not.

I am able to turn on the PC both fans are running, very quietly I can see the power light on the front of the case cd drives work, optical drives work, however, no image is displayed on the screen. Just a black screen. I read the ASUS motherboard manual 3 or 4 times and it seems very basic nothing technical. I applied the thermal paste like it said. I tried un-installing the video card and using the one that is intergrated on the mobo but no luck. I uninstalled and re-installed the memory, I cleared the CMOS (little quarter looking thing) I am having no luck. All this stuff is brand new right out of the box. I never built a PC from scratch before. I think I am going to take it all apart and just redo everything from scratch and then go from there. Sorry for the late response.

Make sure you re-read my initial post. Every step was put there for a reason.
    I cleared the CMOS (little quarter looking thing)
    That should be the battery, which may not have cleared the CMOS.
    ( If there is no jumper you can clear the CMOS by removing the battery and waiting up to a few days for it to clear. )
    Make sure you use the jumper to clear it: it is there for a reason.

Again, refer to the motherboard manual.

" And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Okay, I went ahead and uninstalled everything started from scratch. I wired everything up correctly the only thing is when I hold down the power button the system will not shut off. I have to flip the switch on the back in order to power off the machine. I am very intelligent with networking, security etc... building these things not my expertise. I have read the users manual a few times. I do have a couple questions which are not in the manual, #1 I have a USB 56 port and a USB 78 port does it matter which one it goes into?

#2 I have a SATA black cable plugged into the hard drive then plugged into SATA port 1 on the mobo. The only issue I think I might of did wrong was inserting the chipset into the CPU socket. It doesnt have or show arrows in the manual or on the physical piece so I am a little not certain which way it goes. I used thermal paste on the smooth side, not he circuit board side. Then I placed the heatsink that already has a fan connected to it with thermal glue as I placed it on the chipset.

If the F_Panel (system panel connector) was wired correctly wouldn't the system shut off after holding the power button in for over 5 seconds? Instead of me having to hit the switch.

RESET WIRES ARE BLUE AND WHITE? Which one is the ground wire?

Power SW WIRES ORANGE AND WHITE WHICH ONE IS THE GROUND WIRE?

I just wanted to say thank you guys for your advice and helping me out because to be perfectly honest I need it right now. Thanks again, Later mike. Trust me I have been reading the manual, googling, posting here on AO I have a brand new system with windows 7 ready and I want to dual boot it and also have a Linux machine and show my teacher I can do this but I keep running into a issues. I am not new to computers or anything I just don't know. Thanks for the help guys,