Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Router keeps dropping network

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    THink its toast.

So im going to buy a new one.

Looking at like R500 ($80 , 60 euros).

Been looking at Dlink or trying to get a netgear.

All I require is wireless and a 4 port router. Some dlinks go for cheap, havent worked with them before though. Any thoughts.
    Just get a cheap Linksys WRT-54g on ebay, and throw DD-WRT on it. You can have a pretty sweet router for about $20-$30.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Just get a cheap Linksys WRT-54g on ebay, and throw DD-WRT on it. You can have a pretty sweet router for about $20-$30.
    I second that!
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Yep, DD-WRT is a decently-stable firmware. Just make sure you read some of the stickied posts on the dd-wrt forums before deciding which version to load on your router. The 'recommended firmware' database isn't up-to-date, last I read. Also, the gurus on the forums describe dd-wrt as 'a cadillac, not a porche'. DD-WRT prioritizes options and stability over speed.

At the risk of starting an e-peen contest, I have a Linksys wrt54g-TM, wap54g, and Microsoft MN-700. All with dd-wrt on them, and using WDS. Never had a problem with them.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    went for a netgear DGN-2200 for the Wifi N.

300 mb/s couldnt hurt

First time ive actually played with firmware besides what I get from Netgears site for our office.

Whats this DD-WRT all about, open source firmware across all products? Why not use your specific firmware made by the manufacturer?

EDIT: this looks interesting. Going try load it on the 2200 , cant find that its supported though.
    Last edited by Cider; November 9th, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Most of the time, the firmware shipped with cheap, consumer routers has code errors, is unstable, or otherwise doesn't do what it advertises. DD-WRT is VERY stable (when you get it working the way you want to), it offers LOTS of options, and if your router is supported, you usually won't have any problems installing it, provided you have instructions provided by the dd-wrt gurus or their wiki.

HOWEVER, sometimes, the installation process is a bit more intense. On cisco and linksys-based hardware, you normally have to run something called a 'vx' killer or whatever they call it nowadays. This simply kills the original firmware's setting that's supposed to block other types of firmware from uploading to it (but sometimes it also kills the original firmware itself!!). Once you do that, it's either very hard or impossible to go back to the original firmware if you find that dd-wrt isn't for you.

Please, PLEASE make sure that your router is supported and there are clear instructions (or you're willing to spend a few DAYS learning how to do it yourself) on what to do if something goes horribly wrong. READ the stickied threads in the Broadcom-based hardware forum (I believe netgear has Broadcom-based hardware in its routers), there is very important information in those threads. If you need help, make SURE you've read and memorized all information in those stickied posts, or they'll simply direct you to read something like "Peacock thread note 6" or whatever when you post a topic asking for help.

hmm..."If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Normally, I wouldn't live by that, especially with a dime-a-dozen router. However, being that that's apparently your only router you have handy (besides the 'bricked' one you replaced with it), and being that there's no instructions on how to flash dd-wrt on that router on the dd-wrt site, I'd say play it safe. Flashing different firmware, not coded by netgear, without proper instructions, is a good way to brick your new router. And, if you screw it up worse trying to fix it, sooner or later, you'll end up having to do this.

Nobody wants to do that, unless you have lots of time and patience on your hands. I've had to do it before, and it gets frustrating after the first couple days.
    Last edited by NukEvil; November 9th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.

hmmm this looks tedious. I dont know to be honest. Im not a code guru at all.

Think i will stick with the latest firmware from the site. However if I do spot that my specific model is compatible I will definately give it a bash.

Thanks for the interesting thread.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I had no trouble at all loading DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54g router that I got on Ebay. I just downloaded the file, uploaded it to the router [using the built in firmware upgrade option], and let it do its thing. It rebooted after a few minutes, and had a nice new interface with all kinds of new options.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I had no trouble at all loading DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54g router that I got on Ebay. I just downloaded the file, uploaded it to the router [using the built in firmware upgrade option], and let it do its thing. It rebooted after a few minutes, and had a nice new interface with all kinds of new options.
    Well got the new 2200 netgear up. I want to do DD-WRT on it so I will try and track down if its possible. Would be cool to unlock new features.

edit 1: Q, probally off topic.

in the router there is an option for Dyndns, do I use it or continue using the software of it on my PC? If i use the router side one, can I uninstall the software on my machine as the router will update my hostname, am I correct?

edit 2: this router is champ, so many settings that my old telkom 100 WR never had and it was the same price!!! bastards.
    Last edited by Cider; November 9th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    edit 1: Q, probally off topic.

in the router there is an option for Dyndns, do I use it or continue using the software of it on my PC? If i use the router side one, can I uninstall the software on my machine as the router will update my hostname, am I correct?
    Not sure on your internet setup. It really depends on a couple things. Do you host any services that people on the internet need to have access to 24/7? Is it absolutely critical that everyone knows your IP address at all times?

I'd really rather let the router handle such things. 1) A computer uses much more power than a router, and 2) A router usually stays on ALL THE TIME anyways. May as well have it do something useful when it's not being used.

If you do decide to let the router handle the dyndns stuff, I recommend either disabling or uninstalling the dyndns client on your computer. I remember having problems with dyndns when it would disable my free account because it was updating too often.

I saw you already purchased but I figured I'd post anyway. I've had great luck with the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and DDWRT. I have 3 of them setup in my house in a mesh (overkill). I have external HDs connected to them for media and one is even running squid caching to the HD.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.