Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router keeps dropping network

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Router keeps dropping network

Hey Guys,

Got a 4 port telkom 100 WR router. Was working great until I downgraded the firware to the one shipped with it.

Now it drops my lan every 20 secs.

Seems to flicker on the port I am and then when it drops , light up all the other ports and then goes dead - only power and Wifi on.

I am trying to get there via wifi to try get the updated firmware on but failing.

Any got any ideas how to fix this one. I have tried resetting (reset button + power on/off etc).

I have also tried it on multiple machines so cant be the NIC on the PC.

Thanks!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

When it 'drops your lan', what is happening? Are you using DHCP or a static address? If you are using Windows, try pinging it with the -t flag, so it is continuous [until it receives a ^C] -- You might be able to get an idea of what is going on by how the ping replies come through. I would suggest using a static IP address as well.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Tried static and DHCP, no go. I am not sure what the IP of the router is anymore (im not sure if it reset or using my old configuration.

It times out on any IP that I choose.

Using windows 7 and it finds the LAN connection but a second later drops again and goes to identifying. I presume its the firmware doing this.

Any other way to do a firmware upgrade?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Personally I think the router is now toast....there is no way to connect to flash the firmware

Its not recommended to update firmware wirelessly...ever

Why did you downgrade the firmware to start with??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    Personally I think the router is now toast....there is no way to connect to flash the firmware

Its not recommended to update firmware wirelessly...ever

Why did you downgrade the firmware to start with??

MLF
    Was having some port forwarding issues, wouldnt let me create any rules. Should of just reapplied the latest firmware

I will play with it tomorrow but I agree with you that it is toast

No internet at home now.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Well it sounds like it was misbehaving already....and has just got worse....could be the actual hardware...and flashing wont help.

Routers fail...probably a electrical spike

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Could be a lot of things. Could be that the firmware didn't download correctly to the router, maybe you didn't wait long enough before power-cycling the router after loading the older firmware...maybe the older firmware had a newer version for a reason.

Anyways, it sounds like a bad firmware. The router is probably running out of memory when you try to use it, and then rebooting itself to a failed state.

Have you tried tftping the firmware to this router? Mind you, I know almost nothing about this router, so I'm not sure what chipset it is or what the mainboard looks like. But most routers have an option where you can use tftp instead of the http client to upload firmware to, in case of a firmware failure.

Download a tftp client for your OS. Not sure if you're more comfortable with a CLI or GUI. I have an excellent windows GUI client, but I can't remember where I got it from, it's been so long ago (EDIT: Found it: http://www.brothersoft.com/tftp-client-122473.html). Install it on a computer you'll be using to connect to the router.

Power off the router. Connect the LAN cable from your computer to any LAN port on the router. Set your computer's ethernet IP address to 10.0.0.3 (according to google, the default IP address for the Telkom 100WR router is 10.0.0.2). Open up the tftp client, and set it to upload your firmware to the router (setting the destination to 10.0.0.2).

Power on the router, and IMMEDIATELY begin transferring the firmware to the router. You may have to try it multiple times (or you may get an error code or something) before it works (if it even has a tftp server running on it). If you are successful in uploading the firmware, leave everything alone, walk away from the router and come back, say, 5 minutes later, hopefully enough time for the router to load the firmware to its nvram. Power off the router, wait 10 seconds, then power it back on. You *should* have a working router. Or, you'll simply have a slightly less broken one. Who knows?

Failing that, try replacing the router's power adapter. Sometimes, they overheat. Sometimes, they get mixed up with other adapters, with different voltages. Sometimes, like morganlefay said, they succumb to voltage spikes. Happens all the time.
    Last edited by NukEvil; November 5th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Hi Nuke,

Thanks for the app, though a couple of things

1. Does it "upload" into cache or something becasuse it starts uploading even when the router is not on.
    2. It uploads to around 99 % and hangs there forever.
    3. What is supposed to happen when its done correctly?

EDIT:

4. Upload in binary or plain text is the options?
    Last edited by Cider; November 6th, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
    Albert Einstein

It shouldn't upload if the router is not on. I'd suggest checking your network settings. Your IP should be 10.0.0.3 (or any other IP on the router's LAN). Your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 (don't think it should matter, even with a class A IP. Just make sure you only change the last octet of your computer's IP if using a class C mask). Leave your default gateway setting empty. No DNS.

What's supposed to happen is the client should give you a successful popup dialog, I think. It's been a while since I've worked on consumer routers.

Upload in binary. Forgot about that. Definitely upload in binary.
    Last edited by NukEvil; November 6th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.

THink its toast.

So im going to buy a new one.

Looking at like R500 ($80 , 60 euros).

Been looking at Dlink or trying to get a netgear.

All I require is wireless and a 4 port router. Some dlinks go for cheap, havent worked with them before though. Any thoughts.
    Albert Einstein