Thread: Virtual machine inside a virtual machine?

Virtual machine inside a virtual machine?

While I'm searching using google right now, i wanted to know if anyone has tried this rather stupid feat. I need to create a Xubuntu machine on which i will be installing Virtual Box of Java to create and run an XP machine for malware research purposes.

I use windows 7 business as primary operating system and i don't want to install Xubuntu as a secondary operating system primary reason being my HDD space. I'm running short on all partitions.

Hence the act of installing a virtual machine inside virtual machine which i can install on my external HDD.

Thank you
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Banned
    Why not just run two sessions on the same emulator?

While I must admit Spec, I did not think of your idea (Thank you ) .. Come to think of it the reason i don't want to run XP (guinea pig in my case) on VMware, since lot of malware check before executing if the OS is running on VMware.

I have never used Java Virtual Machine .. If it works.. Ill give your thought a try.. Thank again..
    Last edited by ByTeWrangler; November 18th, 2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Your*
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

So, in general most virtualization technologies don't allow certain calls from the guest VM through to the host CPU, which why you would have problems running something like vmware, or virtual box in a vmware or virtual box guest.

There actually has been quite a bit of progress made toward allowing nested virtualization. KVM now supports it on AMD CPUs and has been working on getting it working with Intel CPUs(http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/kvm...virtualization)

But it might just be easier if you set up your "machines" as chroots, you wouldn't have as much separation between the chroot and your host, but would probably still accomplish your needs.

Even easier is what The-Spec recommended... just create two guests on the same host, or just a single WinXP guest on your primary Windows 7 machine (I'm pretty sure there is a version of Virtual Box for windows).