Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What has become of AO?

What has become of AO?

This place used to be poppin'! Lately it seems like there is one post every other day!

What do you all think has caused the lack of interest in AO? What could be done to bring activity back to the level of the glory days?

I miss this community... *sniffle*

Also - where do all the AOers hang out nowadays? Surely you're all still posting on other forums? Are there any IRC channels any of you frequent? I know I used to talk to a lot of AO members on microburn's site unerror.com, but he's done away with it and his new project freenode.net is even slower than this place...

I joined computerforum.com a few days ago, and it's alright for helping people w/ general computer questions, etc, but I'd like to find a new infosec forum that is as active as AO once was...

Questions? Comments? Things you'd like to think about?
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago. This is the first time I've logged on in months. These days, I spend a lot more time on social networks that didn't exist when I was active on AO. I miss the days when there were hundreds of people logged on here concurrently.

HYBR|D
    hmmm the unfortunate thing is that AO was bought by a company that did now know how to advertise or run it to it's potential.

and so far it appears the new owners (Quinn St) are most likely going to continue to let this place rot away further.

as for other sites i browse DG and browse other infosec related blogs. Currently im involved in a compsec type project, still got awhile before it will go live.

used to chill in the un-official IRC channel that microburn ran.

There's no one answer. Some people didn't like it when we upgraded the forum software, from the antiquated and hacked to pieces version that was here. Forums as a whole have been at least partially supplanted by the emergence of other social networking sites, such as some of those aforementioned ones.

Who knows, is a pretty feeble answer. But correct for public view. Anyway, Antionline is categorized as public bulletin boards and forums AND as Hacking in Websense. So none of my work users can get here. I am an ass if nothing else.

I would like to blame the loss of tuts, but they were getting old and no one was writing any thing new. Most of the stuff I have violates AO's AUP.

There are a few good forums out there. I still hang out on IRC.

As I recall the majority of users, when I joined and the board was active, were still in school or fresh out of school. So I'm guessing life happened.

Who knows!
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

But in general I think all forums are less busy than they used to be. The one exception would be those associated with a sporting team of some sort. Fans love to complain about their teams.

Banned
    Put me in contact with whoever is in charge of this site and I'll give the place a better design and add scripts that no one on the web has ever thought of doing.

There really isn't a single person in charge, it's more like a whole bunch.

Ghosts still exits though.
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Ghosts have existed for centuries, have you seen some of the images and video people have captured? The people who say they don't Believe in Ghosts are either to damn proud to admit when they're wrong, or stupid. I mean years ago when video cameras were more money, maybe it was hard to think they were real, but seriously, Ghost Hunters being a hit show, and them putting the full video of something on the DVDs so you can inspect it yourself, it's hard to think it's faked. Some of the things I've seen in person were enough to make me want to wet myself, and then there is that Hotel in Colorado that The Shining is based on...