Thread: Photo Gallery Software

Photo Gallery Software

Hey guys-

I'm working on a site, and they want a photo gallery. I don't feel like writing one, so I'm going to install something. I'd like to know if anyone runs or has run something similar to what I'm looking for-

1. Needs to be in PHP.
    2. No MySQL backend or database of any sort available.
    3. Not bulky, with user registration and comments and garbage like that.

So something lightweight and in PHP. Pretty much everything I've been recommended has been bulky so far, I may have to end up writing something. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

Security is an issue just because the site is popular. Something with at least a reputation would be nice. Even a cheap or free service that can host something like this would be an option as well.

Thanks!

I'd suggest Gallery, but that fails test #3 - bulky.

You can also take a look at SimpleViewer.

It is a simple to use flash applet that loads images from an XML file to display. Navigation is pretty easy to understand. Check out my website (Timaxe banner in sig) for how I've implemented it.

I recommend checking it out, although it isn't automated...but at least updating an XML file isn't too bad, and nothing can go wrong on the server because nothing takes place server-side (unless you use a script to automatically generate the XML file on the server...although I think the features those scripts offer are secure...) You just have to worry about users not having Flash and search engines not being able to index the gallery's images...

I may end up going with this:
    http://minimaldesign.net/other?sub=mgallery

However I wish I could get that flash gallery working with the build script. I'll have to write my own before I start using it. Also, the flash gallery requires you to make thumbnails.

I don't really know, because I have only used it once about 6 years ago and haven't a clue how it has developed since, but if your not really into writing one up - is there someway to use PowerPoint for what you need?
    They can steal all my property and belongings, curtail all my rights and privileges, incarcerate me, beat me and even kill me. They then, will only have my dead body, NOT my obedience.

I'm writing my own build script (and already have one for a "client" section). What you mainly need to be sure is that the headers sent say you're uploading an XML file, and then you need to set the embed tags to point to your script.

In the HTML file to to load the gallery:
    PHP Code:
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="100%" height="100%" align="middle">
              &
    lt;param name="movie" value="viewer.swf">
              &
    lt;param name="quality" value="high">
              &
    lt;param name="scale" value="noscale">
              &
    lt;param name="FlashVars" value="xmlDataPath=imageData.php?path=<?php echo strip_tags($_POST['password']); ?>">
              &
    lt;param name="BGCOLOR" value="#000000">
              &
    lt;embed src="viewer.swf" width="100%" height="100%" align="middle" quality="high" scale="noscale" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" FlashVars="xmlDataPath=imageData.php?path=<?php echo strip_tags($_POST['password']); ?>">    
            &
    lt;/object&gt
    In "imageData.php"

PHP Code:
    <?php
    // Send the correct HTTP header.

header('Content-Type: text/xml');
      echo 
    "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>\n";
    ?&
    gt;

&
    lt;IMAGE>
        &
    lt;NAME>proofs_img_xxxx.jpg</NAME>
        &
    lt;CAPTION>Image #xxxx</CAPTION>
    </IMAGE>

&
    lt;/SIMPLEVIEWER_DATA&gt
    That should work, but I'm too busy getting ready for school I can't really check it right now. Cheers.

Just Another Geek
    I'm not sure it's what you want but take a look at JAlbum. There's no server side scripting involved and produces plain html with client-side javascript.
    It looks really nice, with different "skins" to choose from...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You can also take a look at SimpleViewer.

It is a simple to use flash applet that loads images from an XML file to display. Navigation is pretty easy to understand. Check out my website (Timaxe banner in sig) for how I've implemented it.
    I've used this also and can say that it for sure will satisfy your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda_Popinsky View Post
    I may end up going with this:
    flash photo gallery

However I wish I could get that flash gallery working with the build script. I'll have to write my own before I start using it. Also, the flash gallery requires you to make thumbnails.
    That's really good and as for thumbnails I consider it to be the advantage..
    Last edited by nihil; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Please check the dates of threads before replying to them. This one is over 6 years' old, so you can expect that the issue has long since been resolved.