Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1GB PCI Graphics card slower than 256MB Card

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    The guy is talking crap IMO...
    Probably. I don't know really - it kind of made sense - like, if the CPU is spending all of it's resources sending information to the GPU since it can handle such a load? I don't know. Makes my head hurt.

In my pea-brain, a more powerful GPU should only help, never hinder performance. But I didn't ever pay much attention in Data Structures class either - bored me to tears.

If I read your earlier posts correctly, the issue is about video resolution?
    No. Did I say something about video resolution? I tried the game on every resolution available, it didn't seem to make any difference.

And none of that explains artifacts (diagonal lines) when in non-gaming situations?
    No, it doesn't. That's clearly a hardware problem. (They were small, horizontal lines)

1. What does the game manufacturer suggest as H/W specs?
    2. Has your stepdad updated the game software recently.........like so the H/W is now out of spec?
    The minimum specs for FSX are very low, but there are no recommended specs on the MS site. From what I've gathered around the Intarwebz, the "recommended" specs for MS FSX are a 3GHz dual-core processor, at least 1Gb DDR2 memory and a 512 MB GPU or better.

I updated the game for him a while back, but I don't think it has affected the game graphics-wise.

Regardless, I'm sending the card back. It's either defective or it won't work on that system. The computer is like ten years old, so it's time for an upgrade. I have a Biostar G31-M7 TE still in the plastic. So I will probably use it with nice quad-core processor and 4GB RAM to upgrade their system. Then I can buy a PCIe graphics card and not have to worry about whether it will work or not. I just bought a Radeon HD 5770 1GB card for $100 for my computer, and I'm very happy with it.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

In my pea-brain, a more powerful GPU should only help, never hinder performance.
    If you improve the worst performing module you would expect to progress to the next worst, in theory at least.

Probably. I don't know really - it kind of made sense - like, if the CPU is spending all of it's resources sending information to the GPU since it can handle such a load? I don't know. Makes my head hurt
    It might make sense if you created a system that was so imbalanced it basically became unstable. Normally the CPU dictates to the GPU, not the other way round. Anyway I cannot see the situation where a PCI videocard could stress a 2.66GHz P4, the connection is too slow.

Also, you cannot judge the performance of a card on the size of its RAM alone. I saw a review of your FX5500 (AGP) and it just about managed 33% of the ATI 9700 Pro that I have in this machine

No. Did I say something about video resolution? I tried the game on every resolution available, it didn't seem to make any difference.
    My bad/ I believe the correct term is "rendition" for video? I still go back to monochrome still photography terms

Regardless, I'm sending the card back. It's either defective or it won't work on that system.
    Given the artifacts, I would say defective, but I don't think the card will help that much anyway. It would seem that the current application has advanced beyond the capabilities of that machine?

I just bought a Radeon HD 5770 1GB card for $100 for my computer, and I'm very happy with it.
    Glad to hear that.................mine is "allocated awaiting shipment"........it cost $170 ............. we get ripped off over here!

2 years ago i got a pny card with a nvidea chipset , it had 1gb of ram it had its on cpu onboard and claimed to be caplible of allowing my computer (2 ghz celeron d 2 gb of ddr ram ,) to play blue rays , i didnt get a chance to try blue rays but it played blue rips with awesome results certainly exceeded my expectations ,i also played fight sim on it no probs they might have a newer generation of the card out ,read the boxes look at the specs look at ati cards too they are starting to release good ones
    Last edited by romanticcowboy; December 27th, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: misspellings

Quote Originally Posted by romanticcowboy View Post
    2 years ago i got a pny card with a nvidea chipset , it had 1gb of ram it had its on cpu onboard and claimed to be caplible of allowing my computer (2 ghz celeron d 2 gb of ddr ram ,) to play blue rays , i didnt get a chance to try blue rays but it played blue rips with awesome results certainly exceeded my expectations ,i also played fight sim on it no probs they might have a newer generation of the card out ,read the boxes look at the specs look at ati cards too they are starting to release good ones
    But was it a PCI card?

At any rate, I've decided that I'm just going to upgrade the system. I don't care to try my luck with another PCI video card. There's just too many good known-to-work-well PCIe cards out there. Besides, a 2.0GHz Pentium w/ 1GB RAM just doesn't "get it" in the gaming world today.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

2 years ago i got a pny card with a nvidea chipset , it had 1gb of ram it had its on cpu onboard
    Yes, to begin with the graphics boys made their products more capable; presumably to sell to people with lower end and older equipment. Now there seems to be a lot more true integration, and the CPU makers are pushing more work the way of the GPU?

But was it a PCI card?
    I doubt it.........AGP dates back to the late 1990's and PCI-e to 2004.

Also, back then, Blue Ray was pretty much home entertainment video, so the requirements were somewhat different?

At any rate, I've decided that I'm just going to upgrade the system. I don't care to try my luck with another PCI video card. There's just too many good known-to-work-well PCIe cards out there. Besides, a 2.0GHz Pentium w/ 1GB RAM just doesn't "get it" in the gaming world today.
    I would totally agree with that. The basic specs of that Sony box are office, or entry level home entertainment. Even if you managed to find a PCI card, I bet all you would do is move the bottleneck somewhere else

I think that your last statement is very appropriate! Although FSX is a very old game, it is old in the sense of "long-running", as it has had many upgrades over the years (I can remember it from Windows 3.x days ).

If the worst comes to the worst, I can always send your stepdad my only venture into flight simulators (apart from the blow all aliens to hell shoot-em-ups). My wife actually managed to take the plane off, fly it round the airfield and land it (on the runway)! she wasn't best pleased when I showed her it had automatic take off and landing, and pointed out that the Russian air-force do not normally take off on full re-heat

It is the commercially repackaged version of the flight sim for the Su27 air superiority fighter. What they don't tell you is it would be a great help if you:

1. Were a pilot
    2. Had a degree in aeronautical engineering
    3. Had fluent written and spoken Russian.

Cheers