View Poll Results: Should forums be hidden without user control?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I only want to see what moderators want me to see

0 0%
  • Yes - It helps keep the home view neat and relevant

1 16.67%
  • No - I should be able to choose what is displayed on the home page

4 66.67%
  • No - All forums should be displayed for best viewing of the site

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home page forum view

Hybrid View

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Home page forum view

Hi all,

Many moons ago I recall options/settings to be able to modify what posts are displayed on the home screen - for instance you could choose which forum catagories are displayed on the home screen and which you would like to stay hidden (as you are not interested).

I am unable to fnd these options - I noticed this when I posted a new thread in the General Chit Chat forum, and I have had no responses.... I then realised it was not being displayed in my home page view and I assume it must be the same for all other users.

Is General Chit Chat disabled globally or is there some kind of bug/issue with General Chit Chat not displaying????

Thanks guys

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Yeah we had many requests not to display it on the home page so I complied.

OK - fair comment.

However - what happened to the options to custom define this view for each user? Perhaps the overhead was too great?

It seem though, that the General Chit Chat forum is defunct as when posting items to it, there is a few rare chance people will view/respond. Which may lead to other users posting in inappropriate forums just to get a response......

I think this is worth discussing What are your thoughts JP?

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Hi CTO,

Seasonal greets to you...........watching your turkey sweat in the mid-summer sun

I remember that facility, and thought it very useful.............but I suspect it was a hack?

I hope your fellow countryman (HYBR¦D) reads this thread, as he seems very much clued up to what is possible with our standard management software?

Right now we have about 6 inches of snow.................global warming ?????

Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne View Post
    OK - fair comment.

However - what happened to the options to custom define this view for each user? Perhaps the overhead was too great?

It seem though, that the General Chit Chat forum is defunct as when posting items to it, there is a few rare chance people will view/respond. Which may lead to other users posting in inappropriate forums just to get a response......

I think this is worth discussing What are your thoughts JP?

CTO
    That was a hack of the old software, it went when we upgraded the forum. We couldn't go on using a 5 yr old version that was no longer supported by vB.

If the community at large wants chit chat back on the front page, I have no problem at all with putting it back there

Seasons Greetings also =)

As I have mentioned my concern is that the General Chit Chat forum will become defunct or users will post non-related items in specific forums, as threads are unseen.

For instance, the thread I had posted is here http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?t=279206 and I would love some feedback

In any case, what other forums are not displayed in the home view? Is it only the General Chit Chat?

[edit] Six inches of snow? Awesome! I wish we had that here... it hit 40 degrees celcius today and its going to be in the high 30s for the rest of the year. Hot, dry sun in the Australian heat. Global warming? It is a natural process for the planet, but I do think the sun is getting more intense regardless of planet conditions[/edit]

CTO
    Last edited by CybertecOne; December 27th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    - Albert Einstein

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne View Post

[edit] Six inches of snow? Awesome! I wish we had that here... it hit 40 degrees celcius today and its going to be in the high 30s for the rest of the year. Hot, dry sun in the Australian heat. Global warming? It is a natural process for the planet, but I do think the sun is getting more intense regardless of planet conditions[/edit]

CTO
    Man your getting scorched in S.A or what. so far we've still got the nice cool weather down in Vic.

but it won't be long before we recieve that extra toasty weather.

I added a poll

CTO
    - Albert Einstein

I voted to have control of what I see, but if we cannot do that, I would like to see the other forums on the front page. I am sure that there are a ton of threads I am missing, because I rarely remember to check the other areas.

You can't please everyone Joe. So, just work on making me happy... it will be a good start!
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

HYBR|D
    The front page is run via vbAdvance, Joe is able to manually select what category's are displayed on the latest thread/post display.

as far as making it user customizable again like the old "hack" that would leave the forums with a big gapping hole again.

so basically we can only choose the category's that we want displayed, not pick and choose for our individual account/s .

way back it was decided by the community at large that we only wanted the comp.sec related category's showing on the main page as this is a comp.sec related website.

personally i would like to see it kept how it is currently is. Why should the non site related topics be shown on the front page of a comp.sec site???? it comes down to relevance.

if your worried that your missing threads, then at the top of each page is a "New Posts" link, and that will display all content that has seen any action as of recent.
    That option can be changed via your usercp settings.

the vbadvance only pulls content from the select category's and displays that on the front page.

speaking about the vbAdvance, Joe you should upgrade to the newest version, as the version were running is very old & outdated.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; December 29th, 2010 at 01:30 AM.