Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internet security suite suggestions

internet security suite suggestions

well its that time of year again ,that i begin looking at perspective internet security suites ,i'm trying out a trial of zone alarm as they have totally revamped it and it has the kaspersky scanning engine its working pretty well but id like a second opinion before i shell out the cash (i think this is relavant ) im running a athelon 2 dual core at 2.10 ghtz 4gb of ddr2 running windows 7 home premium 64 bit
    Last edited by romanticcowboy; December 27th, 2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added specs corrected mis spellings

I still rate Kaspersky's detection quite highly, even though I'm no longer using it. Zone alarm I have no experience with.

Get a Linksys router from Best Buy and enable logging. Then, if you must, use one of the many free AVs out there. I recommend AVG or Avira, though I myself have not used an anti-virus program in many years.

Keep your OS up to date, keep your browsers and other software up to date, and be leery of what you download and run on your machine, and you will be fine!

Contrary to popular belief, viruses and malware don't just "jump off" the Internet onto your machine because you're not running some resource-hogging security suite. They are put there by you via some Trojan or otherwise "disguised" software, or through a malicious site or attacker exploiting your software vulnerabilities.

[edit]Also, a gentleman on another forum pointed me to this site a while back. I use it to decide what I install on client's machines. Good stuff. http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    Last edited by wiskic10_4; December 27th, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Actually that's true. I ran a machine with no AV for eight years just by disabling JavaScript, using a hardwired firewall, being careful and occasionally using online scans.

Also surfing with a user account with minimal permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    I still rate Kaspersky's detection quite highly, even though I'm no longer using it. Zone alarm I have no experience with.
    one of the attractive things about zone alarm is it uses kasperskys scanning engine ,its not my router im connected to so i dont have ready access so have to look after the security of my own machines ,so right now its a tie between zone alarm extreme security and kaspersky

Kaspersky usually starts out fine on any machine I've had it on but over time it starts really messing with and dragging out the boot process. Big footprint compared to Avira, which I use now. But then they ALL have big feet compared to Avira.

HYBR|D
    I use Pctools firewall plus, and that microsoft security essentials on the window boxen's.

both work nicely and use very little system resources. easy for the non tech saavy user to setup, and have advance contols for those that want to fine tune the different settings.

and the best part is there both FREEEEEEEEE!!!!

Give Avira a try, Kris. I've used both and not only is it a MUCH smaller footprint than MSSE but better detection rate.

HYBR|D
    Used it briefly in the past, never cared much for it though.

I've used avast in the past and it was very good. My only qualms with it were that it did not have scheduled scanning. I recently gave comodo security suite a go and I must say that it impressed me. I dont think it uses too many resources either.