Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange network issue

Hybrid View

Strange network issue

I've been having issues recently with my internal network, and I'll attempt to give as much information as possible. The issue is my internet connection (roughly); I continue to lose the ability to load webpages, but its seemingly random, as the connection will come back with time. I'm using windows XP currently, and the adapter says connected, although sometimes pages online will not load. The strange thing is, I have another computer connected to the same switch (connected to the same router), and the other computer works just fine. Which would normally lead me to believe that it is the computer that is to blame, but I have another computer running linux that is connected directly to the router that seems to work intermittently, but has issues (seemingly) at the same time as my XP machine. Now it could just be coincidental, but I can't seem to come to any specific conclusion as to why it is occurring. Another strange issue is when I try doing the repair connection on the XP machine it fails at clearing the DNS cache. This made me try using IP addresses instead of domain names, which did not work either. I simply cannot figure out what is causing this.

It seems like it could be an issue with the DNS client service, which I needed to restart. But that doesn't necessarily solve the problem, as for some reason the service is having issues starting and stopping.

Wired or wireless?

When you have connection issues, what happens if you release and then renew the IP on either machine? Can you ping Google from either machine?
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

It seems as though I can ping google, but pages will not load. All my computers are wired. Releasing and renewing seems like it might be doing something, as usually google's home page will load after the connection is reestablished, but then not much will work after that. But actually, instead of renewing the IP I've been disabling and re-enabling the device, as I believe that does renew the IP.

AOs Resident Troll
    ipconfig /flushdns

Try that on the xp machine.

Also maybe try and lower the MTU settings on the router

http://www.butterscotch.com/tutorial...e-MTU-Settings

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I flushed the DNS, lowered the MTU to 1000 from 1500, and set my DNS servers to OpenDNS, and I am still having the same issue. Any other ideas?

Try an alternative DNS server. Level3 has public DNS servers at:

Google's are at:

OpenDNS:

Any of those should be reliable.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Well, you have two computers going through a switch to the router - one works fine all the time, the other loses connectivity. A third computer, hooked straight into the router, loses connectivity seemingly at the same time the one behind the switch does.

Very interesting.

The first thing I would do would be to plug all three directly into the router and see if they continue to experience problems. If not, then replace the switch.

If the problems do continue, then replace the router.

I'm assuming you've already tried resetting the router to factory settings right? Sometimes if mine starts acting weird, I'll just do a hard reset and reconfigure the whole thing and voila.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Check your host file, and otherwise it sounds like a ipstack issue.

open command prompt and type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks. Providing your DNS is correct and the issue is not browser related it should fix the issue.

Have you tried a different browser?

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne
    Check your host file, and otherwise it sounds like a ipstack issue.

open command prompt and type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks. Providing your DNS is correct and the issue is not browser related it should fix the issue.

Have you tried a different browser?
    The fact that he has issues with the machine behind a switch and a second computer connected to the router lead me to believe it is a hardware error or conflict.