Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange network issue

How long has that Netgear FVS318 been around? I have a "pull" from a
    client's office that flaked out similarly to what you described after 3 or 4
    years. I did update the firmware and continue to use it on a non-essential
    network segment (my bench, easily swapped out), but I can't say I trust
    it.

You might try a different gateway...

p.s. -- the standard 4 pings isn't going to tell you much. Ping is your friend.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

i just ran 654 pings and only one was lost. I can keep going if you would like. I think the router is from around 2004, but I'm not exactly sure. Would it be worth trying to update the firmware?

I wouldn't update the firmware if I didn't feel I had to, or if I didn't have a back up unit.

One packet lost in 654 is perfectly acceptable. Anytime you get more than 1% packet loss and things go downhill. Believe me, we've got RoadRunner Business Class here and every 3 or 4 months we get a weekend of 2-5% packet loss.

Try running ping for extended periods. Before RoadRunner ran new cable on the poles nearby, we'd get much higher packet loss on a cold snowy day after dark but during the daytime things were relatively better.

Things got a little better with the new line, but they still get server issues in this area at times. Also, run ping against your internal network ip's for a benchmark too. RR's line techs routinely use ping, they even have special devices they plug the coax cable in to test.

Ping the chit out of everything and see what, if anything, is getting dropped. And don't worry, no one's ever showed up at my door or written me nasty letters for running ping (imcp packets) against their ip's.

HTH, your rogue admin

p.s. -- you can run multiple instances of ping on a given PC.

p.p.s. -- see if a friend will lend you a router. That FVS318 is old.
    Last edited by brokencrow; January 3rd, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I've experienced similar problem in the past...

In my case the DHCP service caused the trouble, try to assign the addresses manually.

Another possible cause may be malfunctioning proxy server, are you using any?

And one last thing, perform "tracert" to google from all your devices, the output can be very helpful in order to find your problem.

I don't see how the gateway as a whole could be a problem, as it serves connections to at least two other computers just fine. Is there any reasoning behind this, or just because its old?

Well, you have two computers going through a switch to the router - one works fine all the time, the other loses connectivity. A third computer, hooked straight into the router, loses connectivity seemingly at the same time the one behind the switch does.

Very interesting.

The first thing I would do would be to plug all three directly into the router and see if they continue to experience problems. If not, then replace the switch.

If the problems do continue, then replace the router.

I'm assuming you've already tried resetting the router to factory settings right? Sometimes if mine starts acting weird, I'll just do a hard reset and reconfigure the whole thing and voila.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Check your host file, and otherwise it sounds like a ipstack issue.

open command prompt and type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks. Providing your DNS is correct and the issue is not browser related it should fix the issue.

Have you tried a different browser?

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CybertecOne
    Check your host file, and otherwise it sounds like a ipstack issue.

open command prompt and type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks. Providing your DNS is correct and the issue is not browser related it should fix the issue.

Have you tried a different browser?
    The fact that he has issues with the machine behind a switch and a second computer connected to the router lead me to believe it is a hardware error or conflict.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Well this same machine (one of the ones with network issues) is the one I am installing the new linux server distro, so I'll run that for a few days and see if it's a software issue with XP.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    The fact that he has issues with the machine behind a switch and a second computer connected to the router lead me to believe it is a hardware error or conflict.
    I only skimmed the post, but noticed it had not been said

CTO - interested to see how the new OS goes.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein