Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Spam/Malware

Anti-Spam/Malware

Hi,

Whats your best FREE anti-spam or anti-malware for your network?
    I want to install it on every computer here on my network.
    Thanks.

Best regards.
    Last edited by yatot; April 13th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
    .sig na ture.

Most of the free AV software is for private home use only. You are usually required to purchase a commercial version if it is for a business.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Like westin says, you have to buy most stuff for commercial use, but this generally has more features and network support that are not in the free versions.

For individual protection of machines on a home "network" you might look at:

AV = Avira
    Spybot S & D
    Spywareblaster
    AdAware
    Malwarebytes (free = on demand scanning only)
    Winpatrol
    MS Security Essentials

If you are running XP then look at Tall Emu's "Online Armor", otherwise you may trust Windows' UAC? They are not the same, but the annoyance factor is pretty similar

Seriously though, you should look at user account policies

I can't help you with SPAM, as I rely on my mail providers to do that.

The real problem on my network is that a conficker worm is still around. I've been finding removal tools and how to but i cant find a patch for this. Been googling for it but the solutions i've found is temporary.

So far i have 3 worms eliminated. The scope i made on this 3 removals was from

----------------------------------
    Felix Leder, Tillmann Werner 2009, Conficker File and Registry Checker
    ----------------------------------

There are other worms that cannot be detected or perhaps its on the system but hides very good.

Any suggestions to stop this conficker? Please help.

Thanks
    Last edited by yatot; April 18th, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
    .sig na ture.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    To stop conficker = update and patch windows.

Check out http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/conficker/

Those articles are updated by us quite often, but I thought conficker was dead and gone

EDIT: This is prob what youa re looking for: http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/thr...cker.C/204292/
    Last edited by Cider; April 18th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Wasn't the patch that mitigated conficker released in Oct or Nov of 2008? You might want to look into setting up some sort of centralized patch management... at least for your windows clients. I would suggest setting up a WSUS server.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Wasn't the patch that mitigated conficker released in Oct or Nov of 2008? You might want to look into setting up some sort of centralized patch management... at least for your windows clients. I would suggest setting up a WSUS server.
    Yes westin, that was until other strains of conficker came out. However the main reason infections takes places in because of windows being un-patched. When we have clients like this and are testing out our AV , we generally give their network an overview and patch management always comes up. Whether its adobe software, outdated Java or windows, there is always a loop hole in their systems. We encourage as Westin said, is to deploy a SUS server or (not a fan of) desktop central but SUS is generally the way to go.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Originally Posted by westin
    does it support Windows XP Home?
    Last edited by yatot; April 19th, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
    .sig na ture.

Hi, yatot,

does it support Windows XP Home?
    As far as I remember XP Home is not too clever on a true network. It doesn't support domains or whatever? This might not be an issue for a home network though?

Can you describe your network to us. My home network has several machines running 2000 Pro, XP Pro, XP Home, Vista Home Premium, 7 Home Premium, & 7 Ultimate. Only the two Win 7 64bit machines are networked as such (they both run Office 2010), the rest just share WiFi & cat5/RJ45 router facilities.

I guess that WSUS would be overkill, and wouldn't work that effectively in such a mixed environment?

I would recommend loading Secunia PSI on all machines. This software (free for home/personal use) checks the local machine for missing security updates for its applications and Windows OS.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Please don't forget that when you have a problem like this, you should wipe all restore points, then clean, then create a new restore point.

Also, don't forget to scan all external media (CD, DVD, USB) on a machine that is not connected to the network, and has minimal user account privileges.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Yes westin, that was until other strains of conficker came out. However the main reason infections takes places in because of windows being un-patched.
    Very true. Other strains have come out, but I can't find one newer than 2009. From what I have read, that one was still propagating through the MS08-067 vulnerability.

As nihil mentioned, WSUS might not be practical for all environments, but you need some sort of patch management policy/system in place. If 2 year old threats are still giving you trouble, something needs to change.

-HST