Thread: Why Is BCP an IT problem

Hybrid View

HYBR|D

Why Is BCP an IT problem

This area hasn't had any loving for a long long time so let's dust the cobwebs and see what happens shall we??

So as the title suggest's:>

DR and BCP seem to be handballed completely across to IT these days, I am trying to comprehend why this is.

We have recently tested our DR plan, and while the IT side of it was tested thoroughly, I'd like to see what plans other departments have for dealing with their burnt down filing cabinets and reams of paper on desks.

Why does the misconception that "If we can have access to they system, everything will continue working" exist?

Discuss.

str34m3r
    Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    This area hasn't had any loving for a long long time so let's dust the cobwebs and see what happens shall we??

So as the title suggest's:>

DR and BCP seem to be handballed completely across to IT these days, I am trying to comprehend why this is.

We have recently tested our DR plan, and while the IT side of it was tested thoroughly, I'd like to see what plans other departments have for dealing with their burnt down filing cabinets and reams of paper on desks.

Why does the misconception that "If we can have access to they system, everything will continue working" exist?

Discuss.
    I dont see a problem with it. Sure, the business have to get involved, but for most organisations they simply cannot function on paper alone. So while they have a immediate use for paper, over the longer term (and remember BCP is DAYS not HOURS) in the first 48hrs paper might be ok, but they will want there systems back.

There is responsibility on both sides of the organisation (or should I just say the organisation!) that other key area is IT typically provide a lot of Program Management, and someone working a BCP role typically has to have some grounding in IT. So they can a) communicate to the IT nutters and also hold a conversation with the actual business.

Care to clarify your point further?

HYBR|D
    The point from my previous post is that, In a disaster (eg. a Flood).
    All the information stored in your offices on paper, on peoples desks etc, is lost, How much work would they be doing if the IT systems were up, but all their paper was lost.
    ---

Why is IT responsible for BCP?

Thats it in a nutshell.

Like Elvis said, our Job is to get the systems up and running again, and that is fine, but why are IT responsible for BCP?

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Would a flood, or a situation with a similar effect (loss) not be covered in a policy? For IT for example, this kind of problems should be covered in a security policy... is there no policy for papers and file cabinets... better said their contents? Just a thought.

Cheers
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

1.We are the most aware and competent to handle it, as we manage the enterprise's most valuable asset: its systems.

2. We already have SLAs and plans to ensure the continuity of services in the short term. We also have longer term plans, that we actually test. That makes us the most focused and experienced in this area.

3. IT is generally the focal point in an organisation as it impacts on, or interacts with, most other areas. That makes it the natural place to start and to co-ordinate from.

4. IT are used to producing internal plans and proposals that are co-ordinated for the business as a whole.

5. We weren't invited to the meeting where it was decided

I can only speak from UK experience, but it is usually IT and Site Services (the guys responsible for the physical infrastructure) who are the most heavily involved.

The point from my previous post is that, In a disaster (eg. a Flood).
    All the information stored in your offices on paper, on peoples desks etc, is lost, How much work would they be doing if the IT systems were up, but all their paper was lost.
    In theory it should be business as usual, as stuff that has been filed should already have been entered onto the systems. Stuff that is on the desks may represent uncompleted transactions, but should at least have been booked onto the system as pending action (journalling).

OK you may lose some stuff in the postroom etc. but it will be pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. Also, if it was a flood there is a good chance you would have sufficient warning to move stuff out of the way, and critical paperwork should be stored in fireproof cabinets outside of business hours.

These days the main reason for storing paperwork is either it is a legal requirement or to keep the external auditors happy (they like to verify things with third party documentation).