Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    #1. How is this the fault of the US again? Must have missed that after seeing Obama say the people of Egypt needed to kind of handle this themselves.

#2. It pains me to see and hear how a complete and utter Gem of History like Alexandria has this happening. Yea, I'm one of those geeks who plays Magic: The Gathering, so, "Library of Alexandria" DOES come to mind.

The fact that Alexandria has such a rich History (As does most of that place) and, how people there are having this happen, does bother me. I don't watch the news much, or read it much anymore, because most of the people writing it are either full of ****, or, blowing everything they can totally out of proportion just to make the story seem more intense.

Remember the "Swine Flu" ? The news was covering it like it was the new ****ing AIDS or something, and every time, I looked, and thought "How is this REALLY different from the two or so Flu bugs that go around every year ?" And, after a week or so of people basically panicking, and then *******s on the media putting up Maps of every state a case was reported like it was a death sentence, a week or two later, they were STILL reporting on it; Even AFTER a Doctor in Michigan basically said "Keep your ass at home, drink fluids, rest, eat, it's the Flu, you'll be fine. Don't go outside and make someone else sick, I'm tired of earing about it and seeing it on the News". Finally a Month went by and they shut up.

Anyway, I do Hope, for all of us, and our kids, that this is sorted out.... I want to some day have kids, and take them to Alexandria, and let them see a place like that...

I'm really not totally sure why, but I'm kind of a History nerd. I'm interested by things like that, and places like Alexandria, have a very interesting one, and on top of that, the buildings there are neat looking, and, of course, the whole Magic: The Gathering thing with "Library of Alexandria" is super neat.

It's not that all lands aren't old or have no History, but we're a fairly new country, so, really, Museums here may have stuff from the 1500s, or so, but go to that place, and you can look at stuff a whole lot older.
    im a bit of a history nerd myself , and looking throughout everything ive learned its comes down to one simple fact history repeats itself .

Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only History nerd here lol.

@romanticcowboy:

im a bit of a history nerd myself , and looking throughout everything ive learned its comes down to one simple fact history repeats itself .
    Sir, you disappoint me!

It was the American philosoper, George Setayana (spelling?) who observed something along the lines of:

"He who does not learn from history, is condemned to repeat the past"

So, it is an opt-in/opt-out situation?

History?..............hmmmm............ I do recall a conversation I had with an air stewardess at London Heathrow...............she did not know that Houston, TX was named after general Samuel Houston...... she had never heard of the battle of the river San Jacinto (1836?) and thought that "The Alamo" was a John Wayne western movie.......

As it happens, Col. William Broughton Travis came from my part of the World....Yorkshire, England

One thing I will say in the young lady's favour is that she liked my description of the American Civil War as the "Northern War of Economic Agression"

To pick up on gore's comments:

Yeah! at least 2 or maybe 3 of the 7 wonders of the ancient World come from Egypt...........like they had an empire and civilisation over 5,000 years ago. Iran used to be Persia.............another long and great history

Egypt is different:

1 A relative democracy.
    2. Relatively secular.
    3. The Suez Canal.

Now, would anyone of you Yanks care to explain your interference in the "Suez Crisis" of 1957........ourselves and the Froggies were going to sort it,
    but you lot stuck your noses in where not wanted?......a bit like VietNam? but no fighting, so you didn't lose.

BTW................has Obamaprat found his birth certificate yet?.......in THIS democracy, if that were an issue, and he hadn't found it within 28 days he would be doing 30 years............and his party would disband

Have fun

Banned
    Birth certificates? What is this 08'-2009? The pseudo-conservatives who hijacked congress really need to update their smear.

What is this 08'-2009?
    Ah! you mean to say that the documentation has been outstanding THAT long?

Maybe you should put the GIB on the case?

BTW................has Obamaprat found his birth certificate yet?
    Gosh, I thought that since his mother was an American citizen
    it wouldn't matter where he was born. I seem to recall
    that some were saying similar stuff about Barry Goldwater
    back in 1964. A friend told me Goldwater was born before
    Arizona became a state. Was he that old? Heck,
    George effing Washington was not born in the USA.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Gosh, I thought that since his mother was an American citizen
    it wouldn't matter where he was born.
    Errrrrrr, one of us is missing the point here?.............although I only have UK law to go on..............

Without a birth certificate, how do you prove who your mother was?

I didn't think that place of birth was relevant; only citizenship?

Banned
    This is more idiotic than a ****ing teaparty rally. Let me break it down...

Step one: you raise one hand real firm in the air. Maybe slam it agianst the podium a little.

Step two: scream to the top of your lungs "And he bites his toe nails".

Step three: when they're distracted you take your other hand and pocket everyone's money.

The laws here state that only a US Citizen can run for that Office. Period. That's why Arnold can't be President. He was the Governor of California, and he can do THAT being not born here, but nothing else.

The Tea Party people are ****ing rich idiots. Period. They're REALLY good at getting other idiots who are broke, to vote for Republicans. I am STILL amazed, when I see working class people say they're Republicans.

For a good look that can be biased at times, watch an HBO special called "Right Wing Wronged". It's incredibly funny. I really liked the part where the girl asks a guy "Do you think there are two Americas?" to which the guy replied "There's working class Republicans and Gays"....

I can't understand how stupid these people are. I really can't. I hate Republicans a little more than I hate Democrats but when it comes down to it, at the end of the day, they're both full of **** and both stupid.

One thing I love asking is "Don't you ever ****ing wonder why YOU are voting on the same **** as the Billionaires in this country????"....

I have yet to get a good response to that one. Really, why is it that the working class people in a country would EVER vote on the SAME **** in the SAME way, as the richest 1% of this country?

I remember not long ago I was talking to my cousin who said they hated Obama. I was shocked to hear this considering they have medical bills up the ass, and almost no money. I pointed out that his "Nazi Health Care Bill" was going to help them out, and that their Taxes had been lowered because of him.

They said I'm wrong and that he raised taxes, as that is what they saw on Fox News. I said "Yes, he raised taxes, IF YOU ****ING MAKE MORE THAN $250,000.00 A YEAR OR MORE!"....

I can rarely figure out how it is that people who are almost broke, will Believe that Republicans are looking out for them. Or how Sarah Palin acts like a White Trash moronic Red Neck, yet is a Rich millionaire.

That's a lot like a Rock Star who pretends to be mad and broke when they cash their million dollar pay checks. We call them Sell Outs and have an issue with them making a living yet no one cares that the same **** happens in Politics, and the same people who will claim working class pride, will vote Republican, and then wonder why the economy is in the shitter? Really? Reaganomics wasn't enough?

Let me break this down for the Republicans we probably DO have here:

Republican means that the poor people in the country are taxed MORE, while the Richest ONE Percent of the country, have their taxes LOWERED..... When people find out about this, they claim that "Well, who can offer more jobs? A rich guy or a poor guy? And how can rich people offer jobs if they have more taxes?"....

Really? The same people who spend millions on their homes are going to help the little guy? No.....

Democrats cut taxes on the poor people....The working class idiots who vote against them have their taxes lowered, and the people who can actually ****ing afford it, are taxes more.

Basically; The Democrats make the rich pay their fair share of the tax pool, while the Republicans make white working class people who got straight "Cs" in school pay more.... Idiots.

It's really a shame that you don't have to take some form of test before being allowed to vote. I don't mean an IQ test because then even less people would vote than they do now, but, just a test that asks you simple questions, and votes FOR you based on your answers.

Well, maybe not like that, but maybe a small test that would ask you questions about each candidate, and then, you would be shown what the candidate actually is planning on doing. Kind of like in school, where you take a test, and if you get one wrong, it shows you the right answer, and then if you get it right, it says correct, and then, you can vote.

I bet that would solve some ****.

Banned
    What we need to do is kill old people. Its always someone with retardation and alzheimers combined at the booths voting for Regean, Nixon, Bush, Bush's kid, and what would have been Frankenstein and Sarah Palin last elections...

Plus with these useless middle age baby boomers dead we won't have to worry about them sucking up money in retirement and benifits... while expecting young kids to work longer for less. Screw 'em.