Thread: Wireless in Backtrack installed in Vmware

Wireless in Backtrack installed in Vmware

Hello
    So I've installed backtrack in vmware. These are the things you might need to know:

1- In virtual network editor in VMware the "Intel WIFI link 5100 AGN" is selected as bridge.

2- When I type /etc/init.d/networking start one of things I get is:

wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    Failed to bring up wlan0

So I don't know why it does not recognize my wireless.

Then I type "startx" anyways and in the shell I type "airmon-ng" but it doesn't recognize anything again.

Please let me know if you need more information and I appreciate any help.

PS. I know that VMware generally only recognizes USB wireless devices but even when I plug my wireless I can't use airmon commands...so I guess at this stage it first needs to identify my wireless card...

Hmmm, this (vaguely) takes me back a year or so when a friend was messing with this stuff.

So I don't know why it does not recognize my wireless.
    PS. I know that VMware generally only recognizes USB wireless devices
    I think he found that as well. I believe that it was a VMWare limitation, but it won't properly recognise a wireless CARD in the host machine. It must be a USB device?

I lent him some USB adapters (wireless LAN legacy stuff ), and he found that not all of those work either. Apparently they have to support something or other for BT to work???............might be packet injection?

I also seem to recall that his first problem was setting up VM in a 64 bit environment when BT was only 32bit. On the face of it, you would think that should work?...................... it didn't! Apparently that was no big deal, he just had to change his setup to 32bit or something. I must admit that I always thought that 32bit apps would run in a 64bit environment, but apparently not in this case???

I also seem to remember that a wireless network isn't automatically detected. You need to do something to make it happen. I am sorry but I don't know if that is BT or VM, or what exactly it is. Possibly "/etc/init.d/networking start" ?

OK things might have moved on, but I hope that gives you something to go on.
    Last edited by nihil; February 20th, 2011 at 11:14 AM.

I appreciate Nihil...it's kind of tough for me to describe but while you are correct about the USB stuff, I guess it has to recognize my card first so that in the second step, I will need to plug a USB adapter..
    Actually I followed the steps in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICwTdOgszA8

So can you think of another way I can use this airmon command and airodump in windows? or is there anything I can use instead of Vmware?

Hi there BB,

I have had a quick look at the video and noticed that he connected to a Netgear WG111v2 USB Wifi adapter, before anything worked?

I guess it has to recognize my card first
    I don't see why, as it isn't going to do anything with it? I think the guy was just using his regular WiFi internal card to download the stuff he needed, then went onto the USB link to actually use it? It might be significant that his USB conection was already installed, so it could be "seen"?

I would try it with the USB adapter, and make sure that you get a compatible one!! I believe that there is a list somewhere on the BT site?

So can you think of another way I can use this airmon command and airodump in windows? or is there anything I can use instead of Vmware?
    Russ did tell me that he had BT working OK from a live CD before he started with the VM installation. I guess you could install it on a regular HDD partition as well?

I am afraid that I have absolutely no idea regarding other virtual machine software.............I would guess that is a whole new can of worms

Incidentally, does your version of Windows support VM properly? I seem to recall that some don't?

EDIT:

IT IS VITAL THAT YOUR USB ADAPTER IS SUPPORTED.

I guess that means that it supports Linux? I have just looked at an internal card and 4 different makes of USB adapter that I have..............only one make clearly states that it supports Linux/MAC, the others only mention Windows.
    Last edited by nihil; February 22nd, 2011 at 11:01 AM.