Thread: Low level remote access solution

Question Low level remote access solution

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a remote desktop product (hardware or software) that can allow access to a machine at the BIOS or pre-boot level that would allow for remote OS installation and possible BIOS configuration. I know there are servers that can do this with an add-on, but I was wondering if there was something similar for a desktop or laptop. I would assume it would require a bootable dongle or add-in card. Any suggestions?

Also, I currently use GoToAssist Corporate for working on clients computers in a call center environment. Is there something better that would be at least as simple to have clients connect with, has session recording, and works with UAC?
    sandwich.

Hi Bob,

As I always understood it, you used a server in a corporate environment because:

1. Everything connected to it.
    2. You could set it to run after hours.
    3. It would poll multiple client blocks.
    4. It would keep logs.
    5. It had the "one true image", so there weren't the synchronisation issues you would get with a number of distributed images.

I think that most of this came out of the box with the server software.

As I am typing this, I am looking at a DVD labeled: "Vista & 2008 Server Automated Installation Kit"

Try looking on the MS Update site down the left-hand side for the "administrators" bit........you will go to another page or two, and are looking for WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit).

At its crudest, a remote computer is either just another memory device or is a "client" to the master computer's "server".

As for access at a lower level, that might be OK for a LAN or maybe a WAN but I would not recommend it for an internet connection I guess a lot will depend on the client machine's BIOS capabilities and settings. I have quite a few older machines that certainly wouldn't support network booting natively.

Also, I currently use GoToAssist Corporate for working on clients computers in a call center environment. Is there something better that would be at least as simple to have clients connect with, has session recording, and works with UAC?
    AFAIK Vista and Windows 7 support a user initiated call for remote assistance, and being native Windows, must support UAC. I have absolutely no idea about "session recording", as I am not too sure exactly what you mean by it. I would have thought that would be something you would do at your end, after all, session recording is of no interest to your clients? What it supports on the assisting machine I have no idea, but that is where I would expect to find such data, so I would check that out

I have no idea about Windows XP..................

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberB0b View Post
    I was wondering if anyone was aware of a remote desktop product (hardware or software) that can allow access to a machine at the BIOS or pre-boot level that would allow for remote OS installation and possible BIOS configuration.
    That depends on the board. I have a board here that has this build in. The console is available via the serial port.

I know there are servers that can do this with an add-on, but I was wondering if there was something similar for a desktop or laptop. I would assume it would require a bootable dongle or add-in card. Any suggestions?
    As far as I know these are special cards, specific for the type of server. Hp/Compaq calls it ILO, Sun calls it ALOM. There are also KVM switches that do something similar but they are quite expensive.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.