Thread: drivers update

drivers update

Hi Guys, need your help.
    I have a three year old HP Pavilion Elite 64 bit and would like to update some of its drivers. Opening the device manager, I see some of them date back to 2006. I would like to run a scan for new drivers and wish I had a real good program that does this. I don't really mind paying as long as the price isn't too much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

DON'T DO IT!!!

// Moderator's comment:

Yes, HYBR¦D, I have seen this style of spamming many times as well However, let's assume that it is genuine for the moment?

//

Hello maria99, and welcome to AO.

You have a Hewlett Packard (proprietary/OEM) desktop. The ONLY place to get driver updates from is the HP website. The same is true of all the other OEM's .....Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc.....you go to the manufacturer's site.

Just go to the site and look for support, and driver/firmware updates and key in your model details. It will tell you if there are any supported and approved updates available............this service is free.

The reason for this is simple. OEMs buy components in bulk, and the drivers/firmware are written to their specifications. These may well be significantly different from the versions with retail boxed products.

If you have additional or replacement components or peripherals, then go to the manufacturer's website for updates.

I would like to run a scan for new drivers and wish I had a real good program that does this. I don't really mind paying as long as the price isn't too much.
    There is no such product. In all my years in IT I have yet to see one that isn't snake oil (crapware designed to gouge money out of the ignorant and unsuspecting), or at best, dangerously ineffectual.

There is an old saying:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Very sound advice IMO.

My question is "what makes you think that you need to update drivers?"

Are you having problems? If so, then please give us the details and we will try to help.

Also, what operating system are you using..............it should be Vista, but is it? Without the OS, we cannot recommend any product, as we don't know if it will run, unless, of course, it is snake oil..........they always run.........away with your money.

Opening the device manager, I see some of them date back to 2006.
    So?........do they work?...........commercial organisations aren't going to change stuff that works.

I can recommend free software that will change those dates to whatever you want.................

Try these, if you are really concerned about being "up-to-date":

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Both are free of charge for private use

I await posts to this thread with great interest