Thread: Leaked: Windows 8 "system reset" screenshot

Hybrid View

HYBR|D

Smile Leaked: Windows 8 "system reset" screenshot

A screenshot showing off a "Restore to original factory settings" feature in Windows 8 has leaked. The feature was rumored earlier this month and was described as allowing the user to reset the system to factory settings in just two minutes. The leaked screenshot, courtesy of Win7China, plainly shows such an option below the already-available System Restore feature in Windows. If you can't see the screenshot, there's a "Open system reset" button to the right of the following description:
    Restore to original factory settings
    Remove all programs you've installed and restore default Windows settings. You can choose to keep your user accounts and personal files.
    We seriously doubt the reset process will take two minutes on your typical hardware configuration. It should take significantly longer to remove all installed software and return Windows to its default settings.
    Such a feature could be very useful for those times that you want to reinstall the operating system for your friend or family member. Even if it doesn't take just two minutes, it will certainly be faster than reinstalling the whole operating system.
    It's not clear whether the feature will require the original Windows 8 disc, and given how early we are in the development cycle, if it will even be included. That being said, if it does what it claims to, we hope Microsoft won't scrap it.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; October 14th, 2011 at 04:32 AM.

HYBR|D
    1 click return computer to default like brand new system, i wonder how long it may take before those malware / virrii coders find a way to root this so that there products will re-load during this system restore.

I'm curious to know what sort of high end hardware would be needed to actually achieve a 2min turn around?

Could this be the death of mom & pop PC repair shops? 1 click system restore is easy enough to learn even for the most illiterate PC users, and i'm sure this feature will be advertised as a selling point.

Banned
    The normal system restore saves restore points in a file that isn't accessable by users. You'd have to practically infect yourself on purpose... run it as admin and turn UAC off.

But this is a "restore install". In other words it probably replaces tools gateway/toshiba already puts into the install disks. This way no matter what brand you own, you'll still have that option available.

Well; "restore to original factory settings" has been around for years.............only the other day I found a Compaq 3.5" floppy and CD that will put one of their 486s back to its Windows 95 original state.

Ever since Win ME, I have seen OEM stuff shipping with "restore disks" or "restore partitions", rather than a full M$ Windows CD.

Personally, I don't see the leopards changing their spots, so OEM kit will still have the partition? They don't have a full, regular Windows install anyways. All part of their licencing deal with M$.

The really interesting question (to me at least) is what are Microsoft's intentions?

Will they create their own form of restore partition?

The big problem, as I see it, is what we face right now. I build a machine with Windows XP Pro, for example..............it goes to SP3..............what will the "original factory condition" restore be............? SP Zero?????????

Not a problem for me as I have it slipstreamed up to SP3, but even then it is a couple of hours to load the subsequent updates.

If M$ create a partition and update it with their SPs AND patches, then this would be a real step forwards IMO. You would still have to make sure that you backed up your recovery partition to a DVD on a regular basis though. This could really help small repairers, as they would be able to have up-to-the-minute DVDs.

Basically the problem with recovery partitions is that when the HDD goes south, it takes the partition with it.

I don't see any problem for small repair operations..........Users will still be "lusers" They will be as protective of a recovery partition as they are of their "vital" personal files and they will still need someone to replace the defective components.

But this is a "restore install". In other words it probably replaces tools gateway/toshiba already puts into the install disks. This way no matter what brand you own, you'll still have that option available.
    Only if the OEMs include it in their preloaded installations, and recovery disks, which I very much doubt. This will help people who build their own kit, and small, independent repairers, if M$ get it right.

I really cannot be arsed to slipstream every Goddamn patch that M$ pukes out.............this could save a lot of time? If the HDD is dead, then the OEM crap dies with it, if you bring it to me............otherwise send it to the OEM, or buy a new PC.

I guess that by the time Win 8 comes out, solid state drives will be much more reasonable, which could open up a whole new avenue in recovery possibilities. Now that I would see as more of a threat to the smaller repairer, and even some of the bigger ones.

The saving grace, as I see it, is that even if you have "one click recovery"......what are you going to recover to, if your HDD is hosed? And if you are savvy enough to buy and replace a hard drive, you can certainly install an OS the long-hand way.

The retaining of personal files is certainly interesting though, as I have spent many a happy hour backing stuff up for people before fixing their kit. If you simplify that process, then you could make repairing rather than replacing more attractive.

I await further details with great interest.

Just a few disjointed thoughts

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well that is what we need, more repair done than the format idea.

Spec is right, I dont think that malware authors will be able to penatrate it so easily.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

XP system restore was a waste, not seeing a lot of home users wanting to use this feature.

XP system restore was a waste, not seeing a lot of home users wanting to use this feature.
    Most home users aren't even aware of the system restore facility. They buy an OEM computer in the same way as they would buy a TV or microwave.

Personally, I have not had much joy with system restore. Fine if it is something you have done wrong and you want to go back, but the majority of my customers don't mess with their machines, so that usually isn't the case.

SR doesn't help much when it comes to malware infections either.

There does seem to be potential with this new development though, IF it lets you restore Windows to its original state BUT includes Service Packs and hotfixes.

It would be even better from my personal viewpoint, if MS also included their Office products in the deal.
    Getting rid of all other applications shouldn't be that much of a hardship to home and small business users. It may even be a way of getting rid of malware?

There is something of a potential issue with the OEMs given Microsoft's current deals with them. THEY are responsible for OS support, so will tend to stick to their own recovery methods to reduce their support costs.

All in all, I don't see it as being much help to the average home user, although it could be very useful to the people who support them.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    There does seem to be potential with this new development though, IF it lets you restore Windows to its original state BUT includes Service Packs and hotfixes.
    THIS. I've always though the current system restore service was thoroughly inadequate. They could include the original drivers too. I hate having to install all the original drivers that aren't generically included already.

@ Cytheria,

That is a great idea! Not so much the "original drivers" as your current set, with the option to edit them? I don't see it as being that important to the average user, but would help support technicians.

I see the exception for third party drivers, as they totally integrate with your operating system.

BTW.............welcome to AO!