Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Page Changes Unnaturally Pause

Website Page Changes Unnaturally Pause

Hello,

Hopefully a quick question. A website I have visited for quite some time has recently begun to behave out of character. The site is http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...s.php?ubb=cfrm where previously it behaved just like any other website I have visited, recently my visits there are greeted with unmistakable pauses every time I change pages.

Since I find this kind of behaviour suspicious I thought I would ask for a good plan of attack to assess the cause. Thus far I assume it is either my PC (unlikely or it would be all websites), their website(due to changes or ongoing maintenance...if you think this likely I will drop their admins a personal message outlining the problem) or and my main concern, that someone/thing is accessing my PC through the site.

All thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

Can't say I noticed anything, the site responses seemed pretty normal to me. When did this start happening exactly?

Also what kit are you using.....h/ware, OS, browser etc.....

Have you tried with different browsers,and have you updated your browser?

Whilst you can get infected from websites (drivebys etc.) I would normally expect this to be a one off event, and then you are in the hands of their C&C system. Hence I don't think that you are being accessed by the site on an ongoing basis.

Check your browser plugins and add ons............could be something that they have updated doesn't play nice with what you have?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Can't say I noticed anything, the site responses seemed pretty normal to me. When did this start happening exactly?
    .....not exactly sure, fairly recently though.
    Also what kit are you using.....h/ware, OS, browser etc.....
    .....my hardware is very prone to playing up as is the Vista x64 I have on it, didn't strike me as a hardware related problem.
    Have you tried with different browsers,and have you updated your browser?
    .....yeah my browser is up to date but I will definately try a different one, thanks.
    Whilst you can get infected from websites (drivebys etc.) I would normally expect this to be a one off event, and then you are in the hands of their C&C system. Hence I don't think that you are being accessed by the site on an ongoing basis.
    .....makes sense, thanks.
    Check your browser plugins and add ons............could be something that they have updated doesn't play nice with what you have?
    ....will do.

It's a load off my mind having some help with this sort of inconvenience, thanks nihil.

my hardware is very prone to playing up as is the Vista x64 I have on it, didn't strike me as a hardware related problem.
    I wasn't thinking of a directly hardware related problem as much as a combination of hardware and the OS. For example I have a 32bit Vista machine with a 2.17GHz single core processor, 256Mb DDR2 videocard and 2.5GB of RAM.That is all well over spec for Vista but the thing struggles, particularly the processor.

Most of the major browsers have had significant updates recently, and those can produce strange results in individual cases. I have certainly had problems with FF, although it seems to be OK now.

I wasn't thinking of a directly hardware related problem as much as a combination of hardware and the OS. For example I have a 32bit Vista machine with a 2.17GHz single core processor, 256Mb DDR2 videocard and 2.5GB of RAM.That is all well over spec for Vista but the thing struggles, particularly the processor.

Most of the major browsers have had significant updates recently, and those can produce strange results in individual cases. I have certainly had problems with FF, although it seems to be OK now.
    These are the specs
    CPU:Q9450 OC to 3.2GHz stable
    MOBO:ASUS STRIKER II EXTREME - NFORCE 790i Ultra SLI
    RAM:CORSAIR TW3X2G2000C9DFNV 4GB
    GFX:GTX260 GV-N260OC-896H
    BLU-RAY:PIONEER BDR-202
    HDD:2x VELOCI-RAPTOR 150G in RAID 0 2x WD 1TB in RAID 1
    KEYBOARD:G15
    MOUSE:G9
    COOLING:COOLERMASTER AQUAGATE MAX
    AUDIO:CREATIVE TITANIUM FATALITY PRO

Currently the main hardware issue is a complete inability to update drivers for the graphics card, I have tried every possible version of the drivers be they Gigabyte or straight from NVIDIA and the only driver that doesn't result in full system melt down is the driver that came with the card. I've tried programs that claim to remove old parts of the drivers before installing the new versions but that didn't help either.

Will try Firefox tonight and let you know how it goes.

WarriorMonk old chap, that kit is more than capable of running Vista 64 bit! I would expect it to score 5 or better on that "Windows experience" tool? My one only scores 3.6, and runs like a dog, even with the fancy bits turned off

I would seriously look at Windows 7. I looked at an upgrade myself, but saw a retail boxed version of 7 Ultimate (32 & 64 bit DVDs) for about a half of the upgrade price (no SP1 ) so built myself a new 64bit box.

I am tempted to wipe my Vista box and install the 32bit Windows 7 just to see how they compare. Naturally I would revert to the licenced Vista within the 30 day period.........quite a few of my customers use Vista, so I need it for support purposes.

I still suspect some sort of software incompatibility with your site though, as it behaved the same as here (AO) on this machine, which is a 1.8GHz single core with a gig of 266MHz DDR1 RAM, running XP Home SP3. It would be interesting if you could go to the site from a different machine and compare performance. it could be that the site has changed slightly and that this is attracting the attention of one of your anti-malware products? it doesn't find anything, so you get no messages, but each time you change pages it scans it first???

I find your comments on your video card interesting. This is pure guesswork, and I could be totally wrong, but: GTX260 GV-N260OC-896H suggests to me that it is a factory overclocked device? there may well not be an updated driver for it?

I am somewhat wary of driver updates, as a lot of them are just to accommodate hardware changes, and do nothing for older versions of the product

I guess that I belong to the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

As a case in point, I have a pair of obsolete Ati Radeons: a 7500 and a 9700. They will run on Catalyst v.6.11 and 9.3 respectively, anything more recent and they don't work! The Ati site does warn you about this, but given that factory overclocked versions are comparatively rare, you may not get that warning? I believe that the same goes for nVidia, but mine are either so old that I don't even look, or so new that they look after themselves

Anyways, have a happy Easter!

Johnno

You nailed it in one Nihil.

The problem was strictly confined to Internet Explorer as Firefox is like grease lightning.

Thanks for the help.

Vista 64 has become like an old pair of shoes for me, they smell bad but I just can't stop wearing them

HYBR|D
    It appears the site has some ajax issue's. Mainly cross browser incompatibilty.

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    It appears the site has some ajax issue's. Mainly cross browser incompatibilty.
    Oh wow, thanks mate. Any chance you could dumb that down a bit for me please? What's an ajax issue?

HYBR|D
    http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/javascript/ajax.html

Cross-browser Ajax

Unfortunately Ajax is supported slightly differently in IE than it is Safari, Opera and Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox. This leaves us with two possible routes: using code branching to send the right code to each browser based on which model they support, or using a JavaScript library that wraps up the Ajax code into a single object, and means you don’t have to worry about browser incompatibilities.
    We’re going for the latter option, and will be using a JavaScript library. There are dozens of them in existence, each with their own boons and vices. Popular examples include prototype, Dojo, and the Yahoo UI library. For the duration of this tutorial, we’re going to be using a very useful library called » Sarissa. Sarissa contains methods that will create the request for us, and also methods that help with processing the XML that we receive back in the response. This means we don’t have to mess with the intricacies of Ajax, and allows our code to be quite elegant.