How to edit file properties in Win 7

Thread: How to edit file properties in Win 7

How to edit file properties in Win 7

So it's not as easy as it looks like...!!!!!!!!

There is a pane, or I don't know what you call it, containing some fields like Name, Date modified, Type, Size on top of the page and of course you can add or remove lots of other things to this area by just right clicking and selecting them....

At the bottom of the page there is also a description pane with some other or similar information.

None of these fields can be changed or modified. I'm interested to add the description and comment fields and be able to write something in them as I like but the only thing I can do is to make "Description" show up there but I can't modify it....

Any idea what's wrong or how I can handle it for free? It's really appreciated.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boyboy400; April 19th, 2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Please look at the attachement

HYBR|D
    Right click > properties > Summary Tab.

you can do that for individual files, for folder descriptions you can do it under the Advance tab / customization area, like change folder icon etc etc

welp under XP, not sure was version of windows ur on, so i assuming atm it's pretty similar.
    Last edited by HYBR|D; October 14th, 2011 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    Right click > properties > Summary Tab.

you can do that for individual files, for folder descriptions you can do it under the Advance tab / customization area, like change folder icon etc etc

welp under XP, not sure was version of windows ur on, so i assuming atm it's pretty similar.
    I appreciate HYBRID but unfortunately there is no such a thing in Win 7 as I can see....
    Attached Images Attached Images

HYBR|D
    Hmmm, so far the only way i've found to change the detail description part, is to make it so that when you mouse over the folder it makes a popup with the description.

Still have not actually worked out to change the actual description, anyhow i'm not sure if this is exactly help but none the less it may help out somewhat.

You can add a detailed explanation about thefolder's contents to the pop-up by creating a Desktop.ini file,which is a straight text file, and adding a special entry to it. Inorder for this technique to work, you have to assign an icon to thefolder. Here's how:

1. Right-click the folder and selectProperties.
    2. From the Properties dialog box, select theCustomize tab, and then click the Change Icon button.
    3. In the Change Icon dialog box, select an iconfrom the selections and click OK.
    4. Click OK to close the Properties dialogbox.
    5. Open the folder, locate the Desktop.ini file,and double-click it.
    6. Add InfoTip= to the end of theDesktop.ini file.
    7. Type your detailed description immediatelyafter the = sign.
    8. Go to File | Save and close Notepad.

You'll see your detailed pop-up description thenext time you mouse over that folder.
    Note: If you don't see a pop-up when you mouse over a folder, you need to enable a couple of settings. Go to Tools | Folder Options and then select theView tab. Then, in the Advanced Settings list, select the check boxesfor Display File Size Information In Folder Tips and Show Pop-UpDescription For Folder And Desktop Items. Click OK.

Note, you can change those settings via your Control Panel, "Folder Options" in win7

Hmmm,

I guess that Billy Winders doesn't like you messing with its metadata?

I don't know about Win 7, but I certainly have third party apps that let you edit file metadata in Win 2000 Pro and XP.

Try a Google for "edit" and "modify" metadata and file attributes. I am sure you will find some free stuff.

The problem would be that the apps I remember are "after the event" and I would have thought that for this facility to be really useful, it should be available interactively or on the fly?

I seem to recall that they didn't work if you already had the file open, as it would be locked?