Thread: Sticky Touchpad.

HYBR|D

Sticky Touchpad.

Greetings.

My 5yr old son was playing a childrens game on my macbook pro notebook, and now the touchpad & keyboard are feeling sticky.

Curious to know if i was to use a Q-tip & rubbing alcohol if it would cause damage? or void the warranty? Or even wreck something cosmetically or internally??

I really don't want to pull it apart to individually clean the affected area's. So if there's any tips that should work to remove the affected symptons then that would be great.

I've used alcohol on my laptops plenty of times, however I have an HP, but that shouldn't make much of a difference. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be something I shouldn't use, but I've never had issues with it. I use it on my LCD screen as well. You may want to use a 1:1 water alcohol ratio if you're using strong alcohol (90%).

Hi there,

From you say I guess that you mean "feels sticky to the touch". In that situation I would just use a damp cloth soaked in water, and wrung out..........no excess fluid to carry whatever it is down to the membrane, or you are likely to fetch up with sticky keys.

5 year old? I would guess something sugar based, and that will dissolve in water better than a solvent.

If you look at the manufacturer's instructions I would bet that it tells you to use a soft damp cloth

It is really only when you have spilled fluids into the machine, that you need to think about anything else

I have a few keyboards that are "spill proof".....like you just flush them through..............I even have one that is supposed to be dishwasher proof, and anti-bacterial as well.

Obviously not so easy with a built in keyboard, so I would start with what is usually recommended, and maybe repeat it a couple of times.

HYBR|D
    Thanks Guys.

I tried out Metguru's idea, on a small area. And after 8hrs of drying it defiantly feels alot better.

When i get home i'll slowly get the rest cleaned up. It appears my Son's fingers got sticky residue from he's juice box.

we couldn't work out how he managed to make it all sticky, as we washed he's hands before he was allowed to use it, we didn't think that he would manage to get it as stickyness as it is.

Another question, i assume we can do the same cleanup solution on the Gf's Ipdad2 screen? It's got the usual residue from daily use.

Hi,

I use methylated spirits to clean eyeglasses and my mobile phone screens. It doesn't seem to do any harm. Also look out for "anti-static multipurpose foam cleaner" at your computer store.

I also use AMBERTRON from Ambersil. It is an electronic components and PCB cleaner............I don't know what is in it, but it is supposed to be safe on plastics, rubber etc.

Beware of:

1. "Trike" - 1,1,1, TRICHLOROETHANE
    2. Acetone (nail varnish remover)......good on superglued fingers though
    3. Carbon Tetrachloride
    4. Napthalene.......brake disk & clutch cleaner.......goes well with palm oil though

5. Surgical Spirit......seems to leave a residue?

we couldn't work out how he managed to make it all sticky, as we washed he's hands before he was allowed to use it, we didn't think that he would manage to get it as stickyness as it is.
    He had probably spilled some on his clothing?

EDIT:

I would still try a damp cloth. The problem with alcohol is it evaporates too quickly and leaves a residuce before you can wipe it off with a dry cloth.........well, that's what I have found with TV and monitor screens.
    Last edited by nihil; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Nihil is right about the straight alcohol, it does work on screens and eyeglasses, but in your case I would put the whole thing in a big bag of rice, let everything soak into the rice, then just use water and elbow grease...this is, of course, only my opinion, and will be made fun of, because I am a troll.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Banned
    Sticky? Yuck... you disgusting S.O.B.

And then he has the nerve to blame it on the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post

Well, crap. I need a new keyboard now. I just spit coffee all over mine.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post