Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual boot video problems

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    16:9 is the aspect ratio for HD widescreen and 15:9 for the old widescreen
    The resolution is 1600 x 900. I know that is fairly uncommon, but I have a fairly uncommon laptop, I think. But I'm sure that both Linux and Windows are currently in 1600 x 900. Instead of the normal 17 inch monitors, with their resolution at 1366x768, mine is a 17.3 inch monitor. Maybe its supposed to be the full 1920 x 1080? But I'm sure I don't have that option in Linux, and I don't think I have that option in Windows. I have actually tried cold booting as opposed to restarting and it does make a difference. The cold boot results in Windows' normal resolution. The restart results in the bad resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    I have actually tried cold booting as opposed to restarting and it does make a difference. The cold boot results in Windows' normal resolution. The restart results in the bad resolution.
    I was talking about this in my reply. I had the exact same issue but it was only when I rebooted. Do you have the actual driver for your video card installed for Linux or is it one of the no 3D basic ones?

Hmmmm,

But I'm sure that both Linux and Windows are currently in 1600 x 900. Instead of the normal 17 inch monitors, with their resolution at 1366x768, mine is a 17.3 inch monitor. Maybe its supposed to be the full 1920 x 1080?
    I would check what your recommended resolutions for Windows are, some video cards/chipsets can act funny.

Tediously, you could right click every program you have, check it's settings and resolution, prolly find the problem there
    I was trying to say that depending on the programs you have installed, and their settings could cause this problem, not an overall thing...one by one, you have to right click and check the settings. What would I know know though? Driver issues being something, lulz.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hmmmm,
    I would check what your recommended resolutions for Windows are, some video cards/chipsets can act funny.
    In windows it says 1600 x 900 is the recommended, and it is the highest resolution possible in the options. I also have 1280x720, however thats smaller, so it doesn't seem to make sense to use that instead. Also everything looks fine, the text isn't fuzzy, as it sometimes is with wrong resolutions on LCD monitors.

Gore, would it be preferred to use the linux drivers that are proprietary (ATI)?

Well, no matter what the super geeks say, I personally like the REAL Drivers. I mean the ones that come out of the box so to speak, are cool and all since you'll at least have a GUI, but on one of my machines here, before the video card went to crap on me, I always used the 3D Nvidia Driver from Nvidia. It worked great, made it look good, and it allowed me to play actual games on that machine.

ATI's Driver, I have a more limited experience with it, but it does seem to work better than the one it uses if you don't install their own version. I also perfer Nvidia to ATI.

I guess it is tough sh1t.............HP don't support Linux on that box.

Now, my HP lappy runs Windows 7 real sweet...........

Virtual Machine anybody?

I must admit that I am technically intrigued..............

1. I have some damn fancy videocards that do not offer 1600x900
    2. How is Linux passing info to Windows?