Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My laptop does not boot

In case what I talked about in above message does not work....

Hermanelectronics does have the recovery DVDs and it ships them to me. The fee without shipment is 52.7$.

I also found the following link:
    http://recovery-disks.com/catalogsea...+z650n&x=0&y=0
    for 30$. In your opinion is this link trustworthy? Please let me know what you think.

PS. Update: I guess I'm managing to get the Ultimate version

PS2: So I don't know what happened! I tried to install drivers for the DELL windows but didn't work. I found an Ultimate Vista and it accepted the product code and asked me where I wanted to install the windows. So I figured it will make another folder in the C drive so first selected to format the C drive. After that I noticed it does not allow me to install the windows in any partition. I don't remember the message but it was like "the driver format is mwm? the windows can only be installed in ... drives?" or something? I don't know. So desperately I restarted the computer and pushed the F10 button. So went through the recovery process and this time selected the "restore C drive to its factory setting" and it did the job and now the lappy is just fine
    I don't know the answer to my last question about who this "recovery page" belongs to but I guess it belonged to the original Vista because all I did after not being able to run the windows from the Ultimate disk was to follow instructions and now I have a "Business" Vista not "Home Premium" which was the version of Dell thing...

Anyways thanks Nihil and Hybrid again....BTW the first thing now I managed to do was to make 2 DL recovery DVDs (if it wasn't DL it'd need 3 DVDs like what you said Nihil) you guys saved me about 50 bucks..let's go out and have a pizza
    Last edited by boyboy400; June 15th, 2011 at 08:10 AM.

Hi there BoyBoy, many thanks for the feedback, and I am glad that you got it going in the end

So I don't know what happened! I tried to install drivers for the DELL windows but didn't work.
    It wouldn't because they are specific to the Dell laptop model rather than your Sony one. You usually have three sorts of drivers:

1. Windows supplied.
    2. OEM supplied relating to your specific hardware configuration.
    3. Third party............ ones you have installed for peripherals like scanners, printers and cameras.

When you installed Windows from the Dell disk, you only got #1 and it was #2 that was missing. You could probably have worked around this by downloading the motherboard/chipset drivers from Sony.

In the case of the Compaq laptop I mentioned, I was downgrading from Vista to XP and there was no manufacturer support in the form of XP drivers. I had to go to peripheral and chipset manufacturer's sites to get the drivers myself.

The Dell recovery disk would have all versions of Vista and only be 32 or 64 bit specific. That is why it loaded Business Edition when you gave it the product code. It would have to have all the versions, as Microsoft try to sell you upgrades, and wouldn't let Dell interfere with that potential source of revenue

I don't know the answer to my last question about who this "recovery page" belongs to but I guess it belonged to the original Vista because all I did after not being able to run the windows from the Ultimate disk was to follow instructions and now I have a "Business" Vista not "Home Premium" which was the version of Dell thing...
    The recovery partition is the original Sony one. These are protected (to reduce helpdesk call costs) and you generally have to erase them first, if you want rid.

The recovery partitions are Make/Model specific, and contain the OS, drivers and some diagnostics/tools. The recovery disks are pretty much a mirror of this, so you can replace a failed HDD.

You would never have got the Home Premium version as your product code would tell it to load Business.

IMPORTANT!!!

I don't know what caused this to happen in the first place, so I strongly recommend that you run an in-depth HDD scan, if only for the sake of your own peace of mind (and mine).

Cheers

PS, I should have remembered Canada, as you mentioned that in a post a while back when you were having to leave the window open to cool a laptop?

AFTERTHOUGHT:

After you restored to factory, did you have to download dozens of Windows updates? I am wondering if the recovery partition gets updated as well as the system. That would be a nice touch, and partly explain the original corruption?
    Last edited by nihil; June 20th, 2011 at 09:54 AM.

Nice Post

Banned

Smile

*Take out the battery,
    *Remove main supply,
    *Hold power button down for 30 secs,
    *Put only power supply in, do not put battery in
    *Turn laptop on
    *Put the battery in.

Donald,

That won't do any good at all in these circumstances. The problem was one of Windows corruption, so you need to repair the OS first.

The flashing cursor in the top left of the screen is your clue..............the BIOS couldn't find a boot record after the restore attempt. Doing a repair install frequently works in these cases.

Banned
    I agree that you should call for the recovery disk. I have the same problem with my PC in these days. There can be two reasons for your system not booting:
    One there can be some problem with Random Access Memory RAM
    and Second there can be some problem with Hard Drive.

The solution can be a chance: you should try with boot from CD and try to re-install the operating system if it seems to be working and you will find that whether it works with your Hard Disk.

It is possible that your system restore can have some bad files which are not letting your PC with boot so you can try once re-installing with operating system.

Donald,

I have the same problem with my PC in these days. There can be two reasons for your system not booting:
    One there can be some problem with Random Access Memory RAM
    and Second there can be some problem with Hard Drive.
    If it is a RAM or video problem the BIOS should give you an audible warning. Not all machines have working onboard system speakers so I always carry a pair of stereo headphones

If the RAM has passed the BIOS test then it should boot to a CD with a RAM tester on it. Microsoft do a decent free one or MemTest 86 is another. You will need one on a USB memory stick if you are likely to encounter netbooks, as they don't have DVD drives as a rule.

Also, whilst we are on this subject of boot problems, don't forget defective PSUs and motherboards. It is easy to see if they are dead, but when they are just malfunctioning you can get all sorts of strange behavior.

helppppppppppppppppp

Last night I was surfing internet that the laptop froze (if that's the term); I mean it wouldn't work anymore. So I forced it to shut down by pressing and holding the key and it shut down. Then when I tried to restart it, it would show the same problem as I have described before. The operating system could not be loaded with that black page and a cursor and maybe an error I can't remember.

This time I was glad that I had made the recovery disks from the previous experience; right? So I try to use the recovery DVDs but none of the options would help. Look at this page that I found online:
    http://www.sony-asia.com/support/tutorial/424633
    My options are quite similar.
    Hardware diagnostic says it can't help or something...
    None of the restoring options would work either. Why? because at some point, it asks me to select which drive I want to use and there is no drive to choose from!!!!!!! I mean it doesn't recognize the hard drive at all.
    When I press F11 or F10 on boot, the black page shows up saying "Operating system not found"
    When I press F2 it gets me to BIOS but there is nothing to help.

I also tried the Windows DVD I have from the DELL laptop (if you read the previous posts in this thread you know what I'm talking about). But that one, at some point asks me where to install the new windows and no drive is found.
    I have tried various options that I can't remember which error I would get but none of them worked. If you need more information, please ask me and I will do it again and give you complete details.

My ultimate option was to recover the entire lappy to the factory setting and it gives me "Error: 334"

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee help me.

Hi there BoyBoy,

I suggest that you boot into the BIOS setup and check to see if it is detecting a hard drive. If you have an "auto-detect drives" option please take it. You might have to look at the boot sequence to see if the HDD is an option?

I can see 3 possibilities here:

1. The drive has died.
    2. The connection has worked loose
    3. Chip failure on the MoBo

If BIOS doesn't see the drive you will need to open up the computer.

If the drive is firmly seated then it isn't #2, so you should remove it and test it or get it tested on another computer. That will tell you if it is #1 or #3.

If you have access to a spare 2.5" drive you can insert it and test for #3. If it works then your drive is dead by implication?

Good Luck!

Well in the "Main" menu of the BIOS there is this line:
    System Memory: 4096 MB
    Hard Disk Drive: None

So I guess it's not detected by BIOS right?
    I've never opened a laptop. I'll see what I can do.
    Thank you Nihil

PS. and something interesting, I used to connect an external keyboard and mouse to the laptop. At the time it stopped working they were all connected. Now that it doesn't work anymore, the laptop keyboard doesnot work either. I need to connect my keyboard and mouse in order to do any of the things I described .... !!!