Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Lulzsec

Discussion on Lulzsec

As much as I hate to draw attention to what appears to be a script kiddie group spun off of the popular "Anonymous", I think it could turn into an interesting discussion.

If unfamiliar, check out this article.

Targets thus far have included:
    • The CIA website (DDoS)
    • The public U.S. Senate Website (hacked, but no sensitive data obtained)
    • Various seedy websites (personal info was stolen and leaked)
    • Sony's gaming network
    • Possibly the recent bitcoin scandal

I don't think anyone that knows even an iota about info sec is impressed, but I find it interesting because of the brazenness of the attacks.

Who would seriously take on the risk associated with attacking the various targets above "for the lulz"? A bunch of script kiddies? Maybe. They certainly appear to lack the talent (notice they are carpet bombing instead of using a scalpel).

The obvious result of highly publicized but relatively non-damaging attacks like this would be a tightening of policy at the government level. Thus, it seems logical that the group responsible is an agency rather than a bunch of script kiddies. I remember reading something recently about the "Protect IP" act or something along those lines.

Now where did I put that tinfoil hat...

Banned
    Are you kidding me? I mean, have you even been on an image board before? The traffic from posting up a single link is enought to bring sites down... yet alone LOIC.

You're right. Thus:

I don't think anyone that knows even an iota about info sec is impressed
    *edit*
    My point is the best way to justify new legislation that would allow the tracking of anyone online at any time would be to masquerade as a bunch of dumba** teenagers that can't be easily tracked and somehow have the power to significantly disrupt internet services.

Anonymous and their LOIC do a fine enough job poking sticks in hornet nests. Maybe this is just a copycat group. Maybe this is what happens when only 1 in 4 kids can get a summer job. Who knows.

It's a far out idea, but consider that the same organizations that kidnapped hookers and doped them up on LSD "for the lulz" in the 60's are still in existence today.
    Last edited by keezel; June 16th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.

Banned
    But I want to make the internet completely unfriendly and inaccessible to the common man. It's whats needed to disrupt E commerce.

Personally, I have been getting quite a kick out of their antics... Even if they are an agency sponsored group, they are extremely entertaining.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by keezel View Post
    It's a far out idea, but consider that the same organizations that kidnapped hookers and doped them up on LSD "for the lulz" in the 60's are still in existence today.
    Yea it was hard to get volunteers to do Acid in the 60s We owe the net to drugs anyhow; Berkeley is known for two things; BSD, and LSD, and Alexander Graham Bell, was a pretty Heavy Coke head when he came up with the Telephone system used to get online :

How else do you explain looking someone straight in the eyes and saying "I wanna talk to someone who isn't even here!"

Banned
    The point of an agent provocateur is that they bullbait people into attacking a target that would otherwise be productive to the protesters' cause and to discredit the people involved.

This does neither.

Attacking governmental sites is something thats noble and worthwhile. It's something that each and every dissident should praise and aspire toward.

Who would seriously take on the risk associated with attacking the various targets above "for the lulz"? A bunch of script kiddies? Maybe. They certainly appear to lack the talent (notice they are carpet bombing instead of using a scalpel).

The obvious result of highly publicized but relatively non-damaging attacks like this would be a tightening of policy at the government level. Thus, it seems logical that the group responsible is an agency rather than a bunch of script kiddies. I remember reading something recently about the "Protect IP" act or something along those lines.
    As you said "interesting"

I am sure that many of us can remember the days when this sort of thing, and most malware was done for "the shits and giggles", rather than any identifiable objective.

Then everything seemed to take on a more "professional" (for want of a better word) approach with either a criminal or political objective in mind.

Perhaps things have turned full circle, so to speak; and this group are really in it for "the lulz"? I guess they would have to pick on high profile sites to get the attendant publicity, if that is what they are seeking?

On the other hand, I do rather like the conspiracy theory angle that it might be government sponsored to pave the way for new legislation After all, they wouldn't be worried about the risk, but would obviously be vulnerable to "whistle blowing".

I guess that we will just have to let the case develop, and see if any more concrete motivation becomes apparent?

Banned
    Well one of the things you people have to understand is that the world isn't run by jews or the illuminati... instead its exclusively run by stupid people.

So the next time you hear a theory don't think in the scope of anything elaborate at all. Think more along the lines of "this is a stupid idea".

Like planting a bug up a cat's anus and having it wander in a busy road. Or calling a poison ink pen a secret weapon against Castro... then realising it wasn't mightier than the machine gun.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Spec View Post
    instead its exclusively run by stupid people.
    Cablegate was a big insight into how dumb our leaders really are. Their behavior is strikingly similar to what we all experienced in high school.