View Poll Results: I vow to cause harm to computers and the information contained therein

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, Spec!

3 60.00%
  • No. Im a by-product of web 2.0

2 40.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Time to act. Time to fallow through.

Quote Originally Posted by bludgeon View Post
    By it's nature, it can't work, it will always fall back into some form of control...Anarchy will only ever work with a very small group of people...and even then, people will insist on "rules" that other people follow...
    Totally agree. Heh, you really need to come on here more, and post more.

Anarchy will only ever work with a very small group of people...and even then, people will insist on "rules" that other people follow...
    That is true, but does not preclude anarchy in its political sense. Anarchists favour independence, autonomy and self-determination as opposed to dictatorships, monarchies, central government or any other form of central control (eg. religion).

This can only hope to work in very small and closely knit communities. The best example I can think of right now is the old pirate ships. They had their "articles" to which all crew members, including the captain (who was elected) had to subscribe. They also had their individual trades, responsibilities and tasks. The "articles" were a form of anarchist constitution. Hey some of them even had disability pension schemes

Don't confuse pirates with "privateers" who were government sponsored, operating under "letters of marque".

I suppose that the brigand/bandit clans of Afghanistan are the closest that we have to them today. Although there are doubtless other small groups throughout the World who just aren't in the news.

Blind Pugh sends you this:

"Treasure Island"???

Quote Originally Posted by HYBR|D View Post
    Welp the votes are tied.

we need 1 more "Victim" oop's i mean Contestant Yes Contestant to step up and cast a lucky vote.
    Just out of curiosity, are polls like this one anonymous? I guess my question is whether mods and admins can see it. Because it's not truly anonymous, considering your username and vote are saved in the database so you don't vote multiple times.

Not that I care in this particular poll. The funny thing is, this thread as a whole doesn't make any sense to me. Since when has the spec cared about what anyone thinks? Why not just start posting stuff and see what people have to say afterwards? I for one think it can only do good for this forum, considering the amount of new information that is being added these days. Even if it is just skiddy stuff. But I guess that's for us to decide after the threads have been created. So how bout it spec? Just post some information? Who cares what anyone else thinks?

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are polls like this one anonymous? I guess my question is whether mods and admins can see it. Because it's not truly anonymous, considering your username and vote are saved in the database so you don't vote multiple times.
    No us Admins/Moderators cannot see whom voted. Now if the poll was set to Public then yes we could see, so could normal registered users.

Go-ahead and create a new topic, if you click on the poll option you have the choice of making the Poll Private, were user names are not shown, like the Poll in this Topic.

Or you can make it Public, so that everyone who vote's use name is shown and for what choice they voted for.

the most us Admins/Moderators can do is edit the Poll question's & change the current amount of votes either - or +. And we can also close the Poll or if needed re-open it.

@ metguru:

Because it's not truly anonymous, considering your username and vote are saved in the database so you don't vote multiple times.
    That is an interesting question, as I haven't adjusted a poll since the hacked version of vBulletin, other than when asked to correct typos or change wording. IIRC what happened was someone wanted an option added to a single choice poll and then someone else wanted their vote changing to it. I am pretty sure that it let me make an addition, but didn't ask me for a compensating adjustment, which I thought was odd at the time.

If this is still the case with our current version of vB then it suggests that the way you vote isn't recorded, and that the total number of votes isn't compared with the number of voters. Otherwise the values would return to their originals every time the database refreshed, or the admins/mods would have to be able to alter individual votes and not the totals.

Anyway, this poll is flawed, as it only has a "yes" or "no" option. There should also be an "I don't know, I'm in The Cloud" option as well